Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
Immigration

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Darth Buttsecks

Dapper Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:24 pm
Quote:
Long residence in the United Kingdom

276A. For the purposes of paragraphs 276B to 276D:

(a) "continuous residence" means residence in the United Kingdom for an unbroken period, and for these purposes a period shall not be considered to have been broken where an applicant is absent from the United Kingdom for a period of 6 months or less at any one time, provided that the applicant in question has existing limited leave to enter or remain upon their departure and return, but shall be considered to have been broken if the applicant:

(i) has been removed under Schedule 2 of the 1971 Act, section 10 of the 1999 Act, has been deported or has left the United Kingdom having been refused leave to enter or remain here; or

(ii) has left the United Kingdom and, on doing so, evidenced a clear intention not to return; or

(iii) left the United Kingdom in circumstances in which he could have had no reasonable expectation at the time of leaving that he would lawfully be able to return; or

(iv) has been convicted of an offence and was sentenced to a period of imprisonment or was directed to be detained in an institution other than a prison (including, in particular, a hospital or an institution for young offenders), provided that the sentence in question was not a suspended sentence; or

(v) has spent a total of more than 18 months absent from the United Kingdom during the period in question.

(b) "lawful residence" means residence which is continuous residence pursuant to:

(i) existing leave to enter or remain; or

(ii) temporary admission within section 11 of the 1971 Act where leave to enter or remain is subsequently granted; or

(iii) an exemption from immigration control, including where an exemption ceases to apply if it is immediately followed by a grant of leave to enter or remain.

Requirements for indefinite leave to remain on the ground of long residence in the United Kingdom

276B. The requirements to be met by an applicant for indefinite leave to remain on the ground of long residence in the United Kingdom are that:

(i) (a) he has had at least 10 years continuous lawful residence in the United Kingdom; or

(b) he has had at least 14 years continuous residence in the United Kingdom, excluding any period spent in the United Kingdom following service of notice of liability to removal or notice of a decision to remove by way of directions under paragraphs 8 to 10A, or 12 to 14, of Schedule 2 to the Immigration Act 1971 or section 10 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 Act, or of a notice of intention to deport him from the United Kingdom; and

(ii) having regard to the public interest there are no reasons why it would be undesirable for him to be given indefinite leave to remain on the ground of long residence, taking into account his:

(a) age; and

(b) strength of connections in the United Kingdom; and

(c) personal history, including character, conduct, associations and employment record; and

(d) domestic circumstances; and

(e) previous criminal record and the nature of any offence of which the person has been convicted; and

(f) compassionate circumstances; and

(g) any representations received on the person?s behalf.

Indefinite leave to remain on the ground of long residence in the United Kingdom

276C. Indefinite leave to remain on the ground of long residence in the United Kingdom may be granted provided that the Secretary of State is satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraph 276B is met.

Refusal of indefinite leave to remain on the ground of long residence in the United Kingdom

276D. Indefinite leave to remain on the ground of long residence in the United Kingdom is to be refused if the Secretary of State is not satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraph 276B is met.

Not exactly political, but someone tell me if I'm reading this right. >.> All I have to do is stay awhile?

Oh, and I'm curious. What if you join the British military? I know that we grant people citizenship if you join the military here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:19 am
Timeless Visage
Quote:

Not exactly political, but someone tell me if I'm reading this right. >.> All I have to do is stay awhile?

Oh, and I'm curious. What if you join the British military? I know that we grant people citizenship if you join the military here.

I've had a good check through (though admittedly not checking through all the Schedules, Acts and Sections) and it would appear so. Yes. Fourteen years, including foreign visits of under six months' duration.

Don't worry about 276B (ii) (a) to (g) though, I should think you'll meet all those.

No luck with the armed forces I'm afraid. British citizenship (or Commonwealth) is necessary for you to join for both soldiers and officers. You'd have been able to join the British armed forces were you Commonwealth, but the Americans messed-up their chances sometime in the 1770's! talk2hand

You can serve after you've aquired British citizenship, however the upper age limit is 30 for officer entry and 32 for a soldier. This would make it necessary to begin your stay in the UK by at least the age of 16 or 18 respectively. And that's if you're still willing to join the British armed forces at the very uppermost age limit.

That said, if you are particularly set upon joining, you could write to the Consulate/Embassy and find out if they can grant you special dispensation to join earlier. The army is certainly very hungry for good recruits.

Invictus_88
Captain

Darth Buttsecks

Dapper Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:26 am
Invictus_88
Timeless Visage
Quote:

I've had a good check through (though admittedly not checking through all the Schedules, Acts and Sections) and it would appear so. Yes. Fourteen years, including foreign visits of under six months' duration.

Don't worry about 276B (ii) (a) to (g) though, I should think you'll meet all those.

No luck with the armed forces I'm afraid. British citizenship (or Commonwealth) is necessary for you to join for both soldiers and officers. You'd have been able to join the British armed forces were you Commonwealth, but the Americans messed-up their chances sometime in the 1770's! talk2hand

You can serve after you've aquired British citizenship, however the upper age limit is 30 for officer entry and 32 for a soldier. This would make it necessary to begin your stay in the UK by at least the age of 16 or 18 respectively. And that's if you're still willing to join the British armed forces at the very uppermost age limit.

That said, if you are particularly set upon joining, you could write to the Consulate/Embassy and find out if they can grant you special dispensation to join earlier. The army is certainly very hungry for good recruits.

I'm.. not really that interested in joining the armed forces. XD But I do want to get citizenship and I thought that might be a good way to get it. Now the only thing I'm concered about is how I get a work permit. It's damned hard from what I've read.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:48 am
Timeless Visage
I'm.. not really that interested in joining the armed forces. XD But I do want to get citizenship and I thought that might be a good way to get it. Now the only thing I'm concered about is how I get a work permit. It's damned hard from what I've read.

Not a problem, just stride up to the relevant official (being sure to wear a curiously 19th century outfit, perhaps carrying a silver teapot as well) and declare in an authoritative tone "Hello, yes. I'm here as Francis Osborn's batman. He's serving somewhere in Wales."

Sure to work.

3nodding

Invictus_88
Captain

Darth Buttsecks

Dapper Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:32 pm
Invictus_88
Timeless Visage

Not a problem, just stride up to the relevant official (being sure to wear a curiously 19th century outfit, perhaps carrying a silver teapot as well) and declare in an authoritative tone "Hello, yes. I'm here as Francis Osborn's batman. He's serving somewhere in Wales."

Sure to work.

3nodding

I don't get it... neutral Is that supposed to be a funny joke or something? XD  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:59 am
I thought so.

Maybe Luke will get it..

sad  

Invictus_88
Captain

Darth Buttsecks

Dapper Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:07 pm
Invictus, do you know of a student immigration worker program or some such? Like if I were to stay in school they'll help me with a job, because that would be VERY helpful on my quest.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:24 am
Timeless Visage
Invictus, do you know of a student immigration worker program or some such? Like if I were to stay in school they'll help me with a job, because that would be VERY helpful on my quest.

I'm not sure, a quick google seems to show that it's more of a US/Canadian thing, but it could be that things over here are less well advertised.

I'll enquire though, I know a few directions of contact I could ask. I'll post back when I have some replies through.

Invictus_88
Captain

Darth Buttsecks

Dapper Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:07 am
Invictus_88
Timeless Visage

I'm not sure, a quick google seems to show that it's more of a US/Canadian thing, but it could be that things over here are less well advertised.

I'll enquire though, I know a few directions of contact I could ask. I'll post back when I have some replies through.

Thanks Invictus. It's appreciated, so much!  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:55 am
Well, I got nothing. Nor does a junior Labour girl, nor do Michael Ancram's office, nor does any website I can find.

Still, once you know where you'll be you can sign on with the nearest Job Centre ( http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk ) , or apply for jobs from the relevant pages of any local newspaper. Casual work or otherwise isn't that difficult to find, in my experience anyway.

Sorry I couldn't do more.

Invictus_88
Captain

Darth Buttsecks

Dapper Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:17 pm
Invictus_88
Well, I got nothing. Nor does a junior Labour girl, nor do Michael Ancram's office, nor does any website I can find.

Still, once you know where you'll be you can sign on with the nearest Job Centre ( http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk ) , or apply for jobs from the relevant pages of any local newspaper. Casual work or otherwise isn't that difficult to find, in my experience anyway.

Sorry I couldn't do more.

Quite alright, Invictus. You're awesome just for going out of your way like that. smile  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:38 pm
*takes note of Invictus' willingness to help* If/When I ever try to become a British citizen...

From what I've read, such a thing is very very difficult. Work is the best way, and probably the only one open to me. One needs to be a worker of special skill or value though to be allowed citizenship. *sigh* Not sure how I might wrangle that one if I ever actually try to cross this bridge.

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250

Kradvity

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:08 pm
I'm very interested in working in London, so I guess this might be a good place to ask some silly questions.

In Finland you have to have to take a test to get certificates for serving food and alcohol. Do I need this kind of certificates in England? If I want to be a bartender, for example. What are the requirements?

I'm actually a graphic designer aspiring to become an illustrator, but I want to have many job options. ^^  
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:31 am
...or maybe I'll just become a freelance illustrator.  

Kradvity

Gjornia X

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:43 am
It'd be cool to work in London. I guess I'll let it be known, if ever there is a severe shortage of arts administrators or music therapists let me know. (Surely, not everyone is trying to break into those fields). I must admit though having worked in HR, when hiring foreign workers (outside the U.S.) most have at least 8 years experience in their field. I've yet to see a recent graduate in a specialized field get even an interview (usually because of all the more experienced workers in the applicant pool, foreign and domestic).  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games