Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Terry Pratchett's Diskworld Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Elanorell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:38 pm
I've read almost all of Pratchett's books, including his collaborations. For me, I've loved all of his Discworld books, but they really didn't kick off properly until "Guards! Guards!". I think that's when he first truly managed to slot together his idea of the Discworld with his increasing ability to handle characters and their emotions/drives etc. Lords and Ladies is still possibly my favourite: Magrat shooting the elf through the keyhole is something I'll always remember, along with Shaun Ogg's reaction biggrin

I have to say, my least favourite has got to be Monstrous Regiment. Why? The ending.. he lazily paraphrased the last few chapters of Night Watch. "In this place? At this time, here and now?" etc... I was sooo disappointed. The first time, with Pratchett. The rest of the book was great, though, even if the title was a dead give-away as to the sex of his main characters (it ain't hard to Google!)

I adore Tiffany Aching too. If Granny W dies, then there'll be WHO in that threesome? IF Nanny Ogg agrees to take on being the hag, which she's done before, then that's sorted.. Magrat as the Mother? Or one of the other young witches he's already used? And Tiffany as the virgin? But she's need to leave the Chalk.. Hmm.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:36 pm
NightIntent
Yeah, they have. But the thread creator isn't here (and doesn't come here anymore, I think) to change it, and I don't like to change threads without the creator's permission. So it'll just have to stay that way.

fair enough then xp  

Shanti~dragongirl

Werewolf Garnet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:36 pm
I've only read Monster Regiment. The next book I have in possession to read is the Postal one.

I was recommended his books two years ago.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:03 pm
I've read the Color of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Equal Rites and Thud. Thud was the one that got me interested. I really liked the title, so I read it and it was fantastic! So now I've been reading them as fast as I can. I like Rincewind, he's amusing. xd  

bluemouse2

jaythenerdkid

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:09 pm
She's the spirit of your sorrow and the reason for your tears... |~^.[
I've read The Colour of Magic and The Wee Free Men, and they're brilliant. I love his writing style, his sense of humour and the way he makes ordinary things seem really funny. I plan to read more as soon as I can find them.
].^~| ...She's your fury and your glory and your deepest, darkest fears.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:28 pm
I don't know why I haven't posted here before...
This is the only series/author of which I can safely call myself a devoted fan.

It's hilarious. I'm in the middle of one of the Science of the Discworld books at the moment. My favourites are probably Death, Vimes and the Witches.  

Saiwen

Minako85

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:18 am
I read just the first book and I was so amused by the story...I'll surely buy the other books,they made me laugh so much...  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:02 pm
Uh oh. I've read like, 27 of these books.
I'm sure some people who've seen this have seen some of my other
rants posts, and this is just soooooo full of rambling potential. I'm gonna challenge myself to keep this one short!

So, my favourite... Soul Music. Without a doubt. I love Susan when she's younger, and I love all the music references (my favourites: Imp Y Cleyn (Buddy Holly), The Whom (The Who) and We're Definitely Dwarves (They Might be Giants)) and I LOVE the Dean!

I also love Thief of Time and Nightwatch. The way they're connected reminds me so strongly of GP Taylor's Shadowmancer and Wormwood.

As far as characters go, I love Death, Vetinari, Quoth, Death of Rats, Vimes, The Bursar, C.M.O.T Dibbler, Lobsang Ludd, Lu Tze, Carrot and Nanny Ogg. Whew.

The books about Death and the Watch are definitely my favourite. The ones about the witches probably my least favourite. So, I haven't read any books that I haven't loved though, so its hard to tell.

As for the reading order, I haven't read all the posts here, but am I the only person who insists on reading them in the order they were printed?

Foolish Catalyst

Shanti~dragongirl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:40 pm
nope, I just started a quest of sorts to read all the discworld books in order...I just finished Guards Guards!  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:02 pm
I want to read them all in the order they were written. I spent like half an hour at the ookstore once, just looking at all the publication dates in the books and trying to figure out which one was published first. XD Then I decided that was a bad way to go about it, and I'd check online for the very first one, and never did it. But I don't think I'll get around to reading them for a while now. I'm trying not to start any new series, especially crazy long ones! D: It's not working well, by the way.

So. Anyone want to tell me what the publication order is, since I'm horribly lazy? XD  

NightIntent
Captain

Foolish Catalyst

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:10 am
Colour of Magic
The Light Fantastic
Equal Rights
Mort
Sourcery
Wyrd Sisters
Mort
Pyramids
Guards! Guards!
Eric
Moving Pictures
Reaper Man
Witches Abroad
Small Gods
Lords and Ladies
Men at Arms
Soul Music
Interesting Times
Maskerade
Feet of Clay
The Hogfather
Jingo
The Last Continent
Carpe Jugulum
The Fifth Elephant
The Truth
Theif of Time
Night Watch
Monstrous Regiment...

Thats as far as I know and I couldn't be bothered looking it up either. I'm fairly sure thats right though.
I haven't actually read Monstrous Regiment yet. I'm sure you can guess - I'm waiting for my book shop to get it in.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:43 pm
Nice! Thanks! I actually read Monstrous Regiment 'cause it looked interesting--I can go out of order for one. It was okay. The ending was a bit extreme. But other than that, I liked it. It was funny, anyway.  

NightIntent
Captain

Foolish Catalyst

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:05 am
Extreme?
Hmm...

*tries to imagine "extreme", Pratchett style*

Intersting...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:30 am
*huggles guild* alright, I do love you. I mean, I wasn't sure after I saw the Twilight thread, but I do, I love you.

I was first introduced to the world of Terry Pratcett at the tender age of 13, a bit more than four years ago. It was at the precide moment that I read the last wor on the last page of "The Wee Free Men" that I knew what books COULD be. They could be this beautiful, complete existence that could be my escape into a world entirely chaotic and yet, at the same time, pure perfection. I have never seen an author write such a strong and whimsical cast of characters, every one of them flawed, a little bit crazy and absolutely loveable. But he doesn't stop there, Terry Pratchett spins the complete package. His plots are also equally intoxicating, and I always get that breathless feeling waiting for what I know will be his terrific last twist, his little jolt in the end of sheer genius. He has never let me down. And I have very, very high expectations of him.

I have read all but seven of his books, and this will hopefully change between now and the end of my holidays. I simply cannot get enough of Discworld. Pratchett is not only the best author writing today, he is the best author that has ever written anything, and will ever write anything.  

The Ghoul In Pajamas

Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces