Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Sat-AM Reject's Work

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sat-AM_Reject

5,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:05 pm
This thread's for me, Sat-Am_Reject to post stuff in the attempt to get critique from users here~

Skill Set: Not sure what it is, really. Anime and Realism, I guess. Inking's a stronger point of mine, I feel, as well as using Prismacolor Markers. I can use Photoshop and SAI rather well.

Education: Student of the arts, have taken several of the basic courses, still have about three years before getting my bachelor's in art.

Experience: Have been drawing for about ten years, working digitally for about 4.

I'd like to start this thread off asking for critique on a piece I just finished a little bit ago, DATTEBAYO!, which is a Naruto fan piece, if that would be alright :3  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:00 am
well its really late for me and i'll just touch on whats outstandingly ...not great. which is the face. well the head altogether. it looks very flat. the chin doesn't go back into the background and the top of the head doesn't feel like its coming towards us. it feels like you just smooshed the eyes nose and mouth down and another big giveaway is the head band. if his head is tilted down the head band should act accordingly. other then that everything seems to be in proportions. and the stance isn't awkward. his left hand might be a tad on the small size.

lastly i noticed you incorporated atmospheric perspective with the trees in the background. but its not necessary in this case since the trees are so close  

Folken_Schezar
Crew

Sat-AM_Reject

5,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:38 pm
Folken_Schezar
well its really late for me and i'll just touch on whats outstandingly ...not great. which is the face. well the head altogether. it looks very flat. the chin doesn't go back into the background and the top of the head doesn't feel like its coming towards us. it feels like you just smooshed the eyes nose and mouth down and another big giveaway is the head band. if his head is tilted down the head band should act accordingly. other then that everything seems to be in proportions. and the stance isn't awkward. his left hand might be a tad on the small size.

lastly i noticed you incorporated atmospheric perspective with the trees in the background. but its not necessary in this case since the trees are so close

I donno about the head, besides the headband it seems to be fine to me ^^; I think the left hand was supposed to have some sort of perspective to it, but yeah, I may have drawn it a little small ^^;

And the atmospheric perspective was a hybrid of "man, I don't want to do any more trees" and most photos of forests I've found like that have some serious humidity problems XD;  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:07 am
well if the forest was humid thing then it should be consistently humid. when you try to take these kinda short cuts it makes the picture look weird.

User Image
here is what i mean about the headband, the one on the left is the head looking forward. and the ones on the left are of the head looking down. its not a great render but if the head is looking down we see more of the top of the head. the same should be true of the head band and or anything else that would be on the head

hahah as for the hand there shouldn't be much of any perspective. the easiest way to remember or think about is is remember perspective is something that happens over distance. and in this case his hands are not that far apart from the viewers aspect. but yea i hope that helps you with when to use perspective

i hope that clears things up a bit for you. but it is a solid pic ^__^  

Folken_Schezar
Crew

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:10 am
I gotta second that the face is the part of the image that really stands out as being a bit out of place.

I think, yes, it's a little too tiny, and the headband doesn't really support the perspective, making it look flat. The expression is more what bothers me, though, specifically the eyebrows. If you're going for a serious look, the eyebrows shouldn't be raised like that, particularly if his brow is furrowed and the angle that he's at. Try making that expression in the mirror. If you find it's possible and doesn't look or feel awkward, then by all means, keep it in there... it just looks off to me is all.

Also, it feels like you've drawn his supporting hand like a foot. I know it's partially obscured by the grass, but it could use some work.

Last notes... I like the way you did the composition in general, but I feel like it lacks impact. If you wanted to push it to the next level, I'd suggest studying how to exaggerate more and also reading up again on composition and perspective.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:27 am
syrella
I gotta second that the face is the part of the image that really stands out as being a bit out of place.

I think, yes, it's a little too tiny, and the headband doesn't really support the perspective, making it look flat. The expression is more what bothers me, though, specifically the eyebrows. If you're going for a serious look, the eyebrows shouldn't be raised like that, particularly if his brow is furrowed and the angle that he's at. Try making that expression in the mirror. If you find it's possible and doesn't look or feel awkward, then by all means, keep it in there... it just looks off to me is all.

Also, it feels like you've drawn his supporting hand like a foot. I know it's partially obscured by the grass, but it could use some work.

Last notes... I like the way you did the composition in general, but I feel like it lacks impact. If you wanted to push it to the next level, I'd suggest studying how to exaggerate more and also reading up again on composition and perspective.

By the end of it, I'd debated cropping out the top half of the image and decided not to, for some reason.

And the hand looked a lot better when you could see the fingernails D:

Folken_Schezar
well if the forest was humid thing then it should be consistently humid. when you try to take these kinda short cuts it makes the picture look weird.

[picgoeshere]

here is what i mean about the headband, the one on the left is the head looking forward. and the ones on the left are of the head looking down. its not a great render but if the head is looking down we see more of the top of the head. the same should be true of the head band and or anything else that would be on the head

hahah as for the hand there shouldn't be much of any perspective. the easiest way to remember or think about is is remember perspective is something that happens over distance. and in this case his hands are not that far apart from the viewers aspect. but yea i hope that helps you with when to use perspective

i hope that clears things up a bit for you. but it is a solid pic ^__^

Well, I understood the headband, but not about the chin thing. Also, when I had originally started, the pose was a bit different and his hand was one of the few things that didn't change, and I think that I'd left it exaggerated on accident XD;  

Sat-AM_Reject

5,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items