"Don't think of ____." Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lazarus The Resurected

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:41 pm
Ever Servant
Just because I can never become perfect doesn't mean I shouldn't try to get better.

"perfect" in this case being defined as a complete abomination against human nature?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:54 pm
zz1000zz
I don't get how what he said is Christian at all. It is possible I am misreading something, but this:

Matt Pniewski
Why you would fight your own self is beyond me. Sins are forgiven because we humans are imperfect.

Sounds like, "Why bother trying not to sin since all sins are forgiven?" That directly contradicts the nature of repentance, meaning the premise of the question is untrue.

In other words, sins aren't forgiven if you never try to avoid them.

I was focusing on the latter two sentences. "Sins are forgiven because we humans are imperfect. If we could be as pure as you are trying to become, Christ never had to get up on the cross at all did he?" Not that I agree at all that it's pointless to try to improve one's self, but knowing that when you fail, you'll be forgiven and encouraged to try again. There WOULD be no reason for Jesus to have sacrificed himself if we could all be perfect. That's what I got from his post.

But also on topic, I don't think getting hot over a friend of yours is a sin. It might be awkward, embarrassing, and perhaps socially unacceptable depending upon the laws in your area, but not a sin. I think your friend also needs to learn either some tact or some respect for your feelings. It's obviously something that bothers you. A LOT. If she knows this, and continues to flaunt it, she might just enjoy messing with you and maybe that knowledge will help cool your britches. Otherwise, just gently put her off that course of conversation when it comes up -- swimsuit, lingerie, showering. Anything that might make you feel terrible thinking about, try to steer her in another direction. It's especially easy online, when you can close out the chat box and reopen it without seeing that sentence and feeling like its burning into your brain. Otherwise, good luck, and try to remember that having that fire burning in you isn't a bad thing. It all depends on what you do with it. smile  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:18 am
The Amazing Ryuu
zz1000zz
I don't get how what he said is Christian at all. It is possible I am misreading something, but this:

Matt Pniewski
Why you would fight your own self is beyond me. Sins are forgiven because we humans are imperfect.

Sounds like, "Why bother trying not to sin since all sins are forgiven?" That directly contradicts the nature of repentance, meaning the premise of the question is untrue.

In other words, sins aren't forgiven if you never try to avoid them.

I was focusing on the latter two sentences. "Sins are forgiven because we humans are imperfect. If we could be as pure as you are trying to become, Christ never had to get up on the cross at all did he?" Not that I agree at all that it's pointless to try to improve one's self, but knowing that when you fail, you'll be forgiven and encouraged to try again. There WOULD be no reason for Jesus to have sacrificed himself if we could all be perfect. That's what I got from his post.

Oh, that makes more sense.

The Amazing Ryuu
But also on topic, I don't think getting hot over a friend of yours is a sin. It might be awkward, embarrassing, and perhaps socially unacceptable depending upon the laws in your area, but not a sin. I think your friend also needs to learn either some tact or some respect for your feelings. It's obviously something that bothers you. A LOT. If she knows this, and continues to flaunt it, she might just enjoy messing with you and maybe that knowledge will help cool your britches. Otherwise, just gently put her off that course of conversation when it comes up -- swimsuit, lingerie, showering. Anything that might make you feel terrible thinking about, try to steer her in another direction. It's especially easy online, when you can close out the chat box and reopen it without seeing that sentence and feeling like its burning into your brain. Otherwise, good luck, and try to remember that having that fire burning in you isn't a bad thing. It all depends on what you do with it. smile

I will flatly state being aroused by someone, having sexual thoughts about them, is not a sin. The common "Christian" view on sexuality comes primarily from poor translations and corrupt institutions, not from the word of God.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:08 am
Ok zz i have to ask. What is the true Christian take on sexuality?  

Lazarus The Resurected

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:58 pm
Lazarus The Resurected
Ok zz i have to ask. What is the true Christian take on sexuality?

I am assuming by "true Christian take" you mean, "What does the Bible actually say?" I'm not the most well-informed person about the original texts, but I know enough to say a few things:

It does not condemn homosexuality or masturbation. It does not condemn sexual thoughts. It does equate adulterous thoughts with adulterous actions. That is to say, desiring to commit adultery is as adulterous as committing adultery.

Sexual desires are not bad. It is only bad when you desire to break a covenant. Wanting to cheat on your wife is bad because you promised to be faithful to her. The sin lies in breaking a contract, not in having sexual thoughts.  

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games