Reply Fantasy Books Guild
'The Wee Free Men' on film Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DirectedScion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:11 pm
I'm sorry, it's always frustrating when you read a book that you can't finish. I think you have to be a certain type of person or in a certain frame of mind to read his books.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:13 am
Fair enough. I certainly feel that way about some of the other cherished fantasy authors on these pages. (My wife feels that way about Rowling, for instance, and I'm beginning to agree!)

But, none-the-less, I look forward to seeing Sam Raimi attempt it... if, it isn't some sort of wild rumour. Raimi seems to still have a good grasp on his sense of fun.

I think Pratchett's books are rather humanist and that's not what everyone goes to fantasy to find. You won't find a lot of larger-than-life stuff in them, unless it's villainous.  

Harbone

stabbyfairy

3,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:08 am
A lot of people I've talked to agree that Pratchett's books wouldn't really work in film. A lot of the humour is in the prose and unless you've got a narrator (which is very cheesy) quite a bit of it will fall flat. I really wouldn't go to see a film based on the Discworld books, simply because I love them so much and I'd hate to see them done badly.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:42 pm
I think a lot of people felt that way about Harry Potter, too. But they carried well enough.

You really can't go to a film expecting an exact adaptation. I, personally, wouldn't want to - the director, the actors, the sound crew, the film editors, the camera ops, the electricians - all of these people makes hundreds, maybe thousands of decisions as the project goes along, adding their own spins and variations on the core vision provided by the author. It's really wonderful to see what all that effort... all those choices... end up looking like.

Of course, sometimes it's just plain crap. But Sam Raimi did a great job with Spiderman and I think a lot of people in this guild probably liked some of his other works (Army of Darkness, the Hercules and Xena series, etc.)

Also, Pratchett intentionally uses cinematic imagery in many of his books.

And, while a narrator isn't always neccessary, sometimes it can add charm to a fantasy narrative. It depends how you play it.

So, I think it's got a chance. I'll plop some money on it if the film comes out.  

Harbone

stabbyfairy

3,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:16 am
My friends tend to have seen films before I do, and I have a few who like them as much as me, so I'll ask them if it matches up. I suppose it could be OK... Wasn't he the guy who started out doing the Evil Dead films?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:09 am
Why, yes indeed, Sam Raimi did start out as the guy who made the Evil Dead Films. He's a great example of an Independant Film Maker Done Good. He and Peter Jackson have much of my admiration, only Raimi seems to have better luck with his weird big budget stuff.  

Harbone

Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces