This technically counts. xD

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Xenephale Fairfeather

Devoted Defender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:36 pm
But not really. xD Still, I wonder if anyone has any comments to make on it.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:52 pm
ummmm big whoop?

Skaven, not even a finished model...still some what decent?

am I missing anything?  

GamerChik240

Xenephale Fairfeather

Devoted Defender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:40 pm
GamerChik240
ummmm big whoop?

Skaven, not even a finished model...still some what decent?

am I missing anything?

That's a computer based model. : /  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:17 pm
What program are you doing it in? You might look into making its body more...heavily muscled. Thicker limbs, more dense muscles and some more definition around the shoulders. Looks like the surface is splitting at the neck, too.  

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

Xenephale Fairfeather

Devoted Defender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:29 pm
Caleidah
What program are you doing it in? You might look into making its body more...heavily muscled. Thicker limbs, more dense muscles and some more definition around the shoulders. Looks like the surface is splitting at the neck, too.

You, sir, are correct on all counts. The model is just freshly skinned and finished, it's not refined or detailed yet, and the muscle tone and definition will mostly be coming from a UVW unwrap later. And I used 3DS Max.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:27 am
Wait... What? Muscly skaven? I am confused... D:  

Shinobi_8745

Darkweaver66

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:16 am
Allistaire Bloodraven
Caleidah

You, sir, are correct on all counts. The model is just freshly skinned and finished, it's not refined or detailed yet, and the muscle tone and definition will mostly be coming from a UVW unwrap later. And I used 3DS Max.

what are you using this model for? if your using 3DSMax then i'm guessing your gonna add a biped and import it into a games engine with *.3ds support. (im a games designer, and max is used primarily for computer game design) however, if you are going to be using it for portfolio or animation work i would suggest you stop now before you reach the detailing or texturing stages, and export it into a multi-platform format instead of *.3ds so you can open it in Maya (pretty easy to get a copy of with... less than legal means, if you need to).

also, to fix the issue with the neck, if you continue using 3DSMax, if you made the head and body from two seperate objects, convert it to an "Editable Poly", delete the faces where the neck and head join and use the "Target Weld" tool under the Vertices menu. then apply a fresh, unused smoothing group to those faces to make them blend into the rest of the body.

however, if the body and head are one object, first of all i would select the faces that make up the head, and remove them from the body as a new object, then add more edges to the neck (use the Cut tool under the Faces menu) and then reattach the head with Target Weld (vertices).

whichever route you take, make certain that EVERY vertex in the neck is welded to another to close the mesh. if you adjust your viewport to "wireframe" or "Edged Faces" then you should be able to see the mesh to make sure it is all correctly joins.

also, i would advise changing the smoothing groups you have on the teeth. at the moment you have the teeth blending into the gums and mouth. the teeth look quite undefined as it is.

finally, my last peice of advice it to be VERY careful using UVW unwrapped textures. they are very unreliable and unless you know how to use them properly, are both time consuming and reduce detail on some areas of the model (stretching to fit faces, etc)
there are other less time consuming and simpler ways to texture a model using multiple textures. like assigning Texture ID's. unless you are confident with Texture Mapping and the UVW Unwrap modifier i would try using Texture ID's instead.

ps. if you are using this for portfolio means, may i suggest you get a copy of zBrush. it is a very handy program and if you already know and understand Max then it isnt too hard to learn. with zBrush you can create very detailed, High-Poly models with "true" muscle definition simply by "painting" them on, instead of the methods you use in Max (creating and moving vertices and edges) to create lower-poly models for game engines.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:49 pm
fire - link
Allistaire Bloodraven
Caleidah

what are you using this model for? if your using 3DSMax then i'm guessing your gonna add a biped and import it into a games engine with *.3ds support. (im a games designer, and max is used primarily for computer game design) however, if you are going to be using it for portfolio or animation work i would suggest you stop now before you reach the detailing or texturing stages, and export it into a multi-platform format instead of *.3ds so you can open it in Maya (pretty easy to get a copy of with... less than legal means, if you need to).

also, to fix the issue with the neck, if you continue using 3DSMax, if you made the head and body from two seperate objects, convert it to an "Editable Poly", delete the faces where the neck and head join and use the "Target Weld" tool under the Vertices menu. then apply a fresh, unused smoothing group to those faces to make them blend into the rest of the body.

however, if the body and head are one object, first of all i would select the faces that make up the head, and remove them from the body as a new object, then add more edges to the neck (use the Cut tool under the Faces menu) and then reattach the head with Target Weld (vertices).

whichever route you take, make certain that EVERY vertex in the neck is welded to another to close the mesh. if you adjust your viewport to "wireframe" or "Edged Faces" then you should be able to see the mesh to make sure it is all correctly joins.

also, i would advise changing the smoothing groups you have on the teeth. at the moment you have the teeth blending into the gums and mouth. the teeth look quite undefined as it is.

finally, my last peice of advice it to be VERY careful using UVW unwrapped textures. they are very unreliable and unless you know how to use them properly, are both time consuming and reduce detail on some areas of the model (stretching to fit faces, etc)
there are other less time consuming and simpler ways to texture a model using multiple textures. like assigning Texture ID's. unless you are confident with Texture Mapping and the UVW Unwrap modifier i would try using Texture ID's instead.

ps. if you are using this for portfolio means, may i suggest you get a copy of zBrush. it is a very handy program and if you already know and understand Max then it isnt too hard to learn. with zBrush you can create very detailed, High-Poly models with "true" muscle definition simply by "painting" them on, instead of the methods you use in Max (creating and moving vertices and edges) to create lower-poly models for game engines.

Now that is a useful bit of advice I wasn't expecting to get out here. I'll definitely look into that, then. What I spoke of was out of my limited knowledge of 3DS in the classes *as I'm still attending the course I haven't gotten into the more advanced stuff yet*

I'll look into zBrush as soon as I can. This model was really more for personal use than actual game use, but the advice is highly appreciated. Most of the people I have to discuss this sort of thing with are other students, which means they're limited to what knowledge they've managed to attain themselves. If you have any more advice you'd like to send my way, please PM it to me so I can get a hard copy of it to my computer for reference.

As for Maya, I will be having a class on how to use Maya in the future, so the tip on how to get the model exported for animation purposes is quite useful to me.  

Xenephale Fairfeather

Devoted Defender

Darkweaver66

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:51 am
Allistaire Bloodraven
fire - link
Allistaire Bloodraven
Caleidah

Now that is a useful bit of advice I wasn't expecting to get out here. I'll definitely look into that, then. What I spoke of was out of my limited knowledge of 3DS in the classes *as I'm still attending the course I haven't gotten into the more advanced stuff yet*

I'll look into zBrush as soon as I can. This model was really more for personal use than actual game use, but the advice is highly appreciated. Most of the people I have to discuss this sort of thing with are other students, which means they're limited to what knowledge they've managed to attain themselves. If you have any more advice you'd like to send my way, please PM it to me so I can get a hard copy of it to my computer for reference.

As for Maya, I will be having a class on how to use Maya in the future, so the tip on how to get the model exported for animation purposes is quite useful to me.

haha, fair enough. its nice to see another Games Designer out here personally.

most of my knowledge actually comes from 4 years of Games Design courses at college + a LOT of personal experimenting. i experimented a lot with Max and disagreed with the tutors methods a lot (he was a games designer a few years back, so he was teaching techniques he knew from back then. whereas i did my research and spoke to local Games Developers and found that the more up to date methods for the most part worked better)

also, if you are planning on becoming a Games Designer (looked on your profile breifly and saw it) then i would advise NOT taking courses in Maya. it is usefull software but unlike Max, which is used for Games Design, Maya is an animation and Film program (not game animation or rigging/skinning either, i mean film animaton). if you want to learn it, i would do it in your free time (as it is useful to know, but not so useful that i would do a course JUST to learn it) if you want to do a course, i would get some High-Poly modelling done in a zBrush course, if you can find one.

PM me if you ever want advise on anything.

oh, and one last thing, if you want to persue this career, although a University degree IS a great thing to have, an amazing portfolio is an absolute neccessity. if you have time, take some Life Drawing classes (yeah, drawing naked people) to learn body structure and scale, learn how to model both High and Low Poly (the difference between models for the Wii and PS3) and if you can, take art classes to build up a lot of traditional work. it doesnt matter if you want to focus on 3D modelling, if you dont already understand scale and physique, and have some skills with tradtional mediums, you wont get a job. the portfolio really is the "Make or break" of you getting a job in the games industry.

express originality through your artwork too. dont just follow what the rest of your class does, be unique.  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games