Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Book Reading: Cunningham, Buckland, Penczak..

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Idunn Illustrated

Aged Entrepreneur

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:25 am
Welcome, everyone!

I suppose this is my first post around these parts. It's an honor to be part of the guild and to broaden my knowledge with the help of peers (i.e.: You guys.)

I've recently purchased and mulled through a large set of books written by Scott Cunningham, Raymond Buckland, and Christopher Penczak. These came with high recommendation from various occult shop owners I've met during my travels around the state. I was wary at first, especially so when one owner started telling me about a "Twilight" and "Harry Potter" ritual they were writing... *Ahem*

After joining and reading through pretty much every topic/thread/reply in the first five pages of archives on here. I'm perplexed and worried I may have made some unflavorable purchases.

Namely the Penczak and Buckland ones. I understand, after investigating, they are rather insulting as they have a racist skew towards names and misappropriation of terms for Sabbats and general practices.

My main question is: Is it possible for me to learn anything worth while from these books or are they all swill that should be cast aside? I'm hoping I can at least adopt some of the basic knowledge without the stolen parts or that they have some credible knowledge that I can learn from.

As a side request, if you're going to go ahead and bash the authors I've chosen to read, please keep in mind that I had done this without giving much thought to said author's before hand and was acting on what I thought to be, good recommendations from knowledgeable sources. I already feel guilty enough about spending coin on someone who is mislead and/or making a quick buck off of novices. It's all part of the journey, I suppose.

I'll list the books I have purchased recently, and hopefully-- I'll find out if any information is salvageable. I am thankful for any responses or light you all might shed on this.

Thank you!

Idunnea

My Current Reading List:

* The Inner Temple of Witchcraft *and CD* by Christopher Penczak

* The Witch's Coin by Christopher Penczak (I bought for the crystal information at the back since I couldn't find copies of "The Crystal Bible.")

* Living Wicca by Scott Cunningham (I was under the impression that I could remove the 'Wicca' name from the readings and have it be a decent source of material.)

* The Witch Book by Raymond Buckland

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:16 pm
The Cunningham is fine -- I have that book and I reference it every so often.

Penzack is one of many authors that I find I like better when he's talking than writing. I haven't ready much of him, so ymmv.

Buckland is a racist coot. I'd ditch him. But you already have the book, so you might as well read it.

Nothing ever comes to harm by being able to read questionable books with an open critical mind. The Critical part especially.  

maenad nuri
Captain

Idunn Illustrated

Aged Entrepreneur

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:31 am
maenad nuri
The Cunningham is fine -- I have that book and I reference it every so often.

Penzack is one of many authors that I find I like better when he's talking than writing. I haven't ready much of him, so ymmv.

Buckland is a racist coot. I'd ditch him. But you already have the book, so you might as well read it.

Nothing ever comes to harm by being able to read questionable books with an open critical mind. The Critical part especially.

Ah, I should specify what book it is I bought by Buckland, as I realize I didn't write the full title. I didn't purchase one of his theology books, but "The Witch Book" is his encyclopedia of everything dealing with the occult. Bought it as a quick flip-reference in the case I come across a new term I hadn't seen. 3nodding I'll keep in mind to stray from his readings in further purchases.

I've really, REALLY, enjoyed Cunningham though. The way he writes just compels me to finish the book as soon as possible. haha! I think I must have read it all in a day. smile

Thank you very much for the input, and as a side note, suggesting I join. It's already proving to be a wonderful resource.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:55 pm
The Witch Book is mostly crap. I actually saw red when Bucky decided to blame Jim Henson's death on his portrayal of witches in The Witches. I mean F@#cking Hell man....  

erinnightwalker

Idunn Illustrated

Aged Entrepreneur

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:27 pm
erinnightwalker
The Witch Book is mostly crap. I actually saw red when Bucky decided to blame Jim Henson's death on his portrayal of witches in The Witches. I mean F@#cking Hell man....

Wow.. Did he seriously do that? That's so messed up that I'm laughing openly about it. D: I had absolutely no idea!

Wow.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:55 am
Idunnea
erinnightwalker

Wow.. Did he seriously do that? That's so messed up that I'm laughing openly about it. D: I had absolutely no idea!

Wow.

I can try to find the page again, if you like. Most of the info is just kinda odd. I mean, how many movies do you need to know about in a supposedly occult encyclopedia? I wanted new info, not reviews on B grade movies. He also likes to talk about old witchtrials and hauntings. A lot. And he has his own entry with (I believe) the biggest photo in the entire book in it. Self promotion much?

Might have Silver in there too..... Damn, now I need to find it again....  

erinnightwalker

Idunn Illustrated

Aged Entrepreneur

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:50 am
erinnightwalker
Idunnea
erinnightwalker

Wow.

I can try to find the page again, if you like. Most of the info is just kinda odd. I mean, how many movies do you need to know about in a supposedly occult encyclopedia? I wanted new info, not reviews on B grade movies. He also likes to talk about old witchtrials and hauntings. A lot. And he has his own entry with (I believe) the biggest photo in the entire book in it. Self promotion much?

Might have Silver in there too..... Damn, now I need to find it again....

Yes, I tried to find the info listed, namely his excerpts on himself and Silver. Actually-- in the version I have, Silver's might be the biggest picture-- takes up the whole page. His is only 1/3 of a page or so. Haha! He also notes her as a "Wiccan Elder" and places her in extremely bright light.

His own entry is painted with a bit of "Important-itis." Stating he felt his life "paralleled Gardner's" I also see the persecution being thrown about freely, as you mentioned.

And the Jim Henson bit you were talking about-- I just found it on Page 533 in the top paragraph, a continuation of the "Witches, The (1990)" on 532.

Quote:
"--As a children's story it is amusing and entertaining, but when Henson decided to work on this major motion picture the Witches of the world were not happy. They felt there was no need to further promote the inaccuracies of the past. Thousands contacted Henson and asked him not to make the movie. He didn't listen. It seems extremely coincidental that Jim Henson died before he saw the finished product. He checked himself into a hospital in May 1990, stricken with Streptococcus Pneumonia. He died within a few days at the age fifty-three. Witches do not believe in harming others, but they do believe that what one sends out will return three-fold. Many Wiccans therefore believe that Henson brought on his own death by his determination to malign the Witches of today."

--"The Witch Book" by Raymond Buckland

My issue with the whole except, aside from that it is incredibly unfounded on anything other than personal opinion, is why is he freely throwing around 'Witches of the world,' and then suddenly-- it's just 'Wiccans' that had the main say on what happened..? A small nitpick in the grand scheme, but him potentially mixing up the two terms is kind of a red flag in my mind. How would he know what groups felt what, or how many people actually tried to contact Henson.

It's like watching the story unfold and just applying your own reasoning and imagination to it to benefit your own cause.

Meh. Perhaps I'm completely off track, but after reading the parts you listed, I'm starting to wonder how S'mores would taste with Witch Book as kindling. smile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:11 am
I'd keep it, if only to be able to quote out of it for those who think "Teh Buckielandz iz teh bombz andz yuh dun't know what cher sayingz". Then again, I got mine as a gift, so I have no money put in it. If the joules of heat put out by the burning book is worth what you paid for it, then whip out the graham crackers and the chocolate. I'll bring the marshmellows and some forks and sticks ^_^  

erinnightwalker

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff