Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
The Cottage Cheese Effect (cellulite?)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

out of the woods

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:09 pm
Gross, but necessary. See, I have that cottage cheese skin (y'know, the bumps, lumps, and tiny dips) going on from my waist downward, meaning the entirety of my butt and my thighs. Background info is that I'm only 19 years old, and I'm 5"7', about 215lbs. I'm in the process of trying to lose, but this specific aspect of my appearance (though hidden by clothes) drives me completely nuts. It's just so unpleasant, especially because I see it most often on middle-aged/older women. Even the younger girls I've seen who're on the very-heavy/heavy side still seem to have smooth legs, and I assume it's the same for their backside. Why not me? I literally have no space of smooth skin on any part of the areas I mentioned; my thighs and backside are completely covered. Bleh. What to do to get rid of all of it? Does solely exercise and being at a healthy weight get rid of this, or is there more to it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:38 pm
UGH Yes! Me too. I hate it, it's all over my butt and thighs. I'm 22 years, 5' 5.5" and 195 lbs.....I hate the cottage cheese look my body has adopted. gonk

I think if you get enough Vitamin A and C, it'll help skin....not sure though.

Sorry, I wasn't much help. sweatdrop  

A Touch of Evil

Tipsy Genius

out of the woods

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:10 am
[Beautiful Oblivion]
UGH Yes! Me too. I hate it, it's all over my butt and thighs. I'm 22 years, 5' 5.5" and 195 lbs.....I hate the cottage cheese look my body has adopted. gonk

I think if you get enough Vitamin A and C, it'll help skin....not sure though.

Sorry, I wasn't much help. sweatdrop

Heh, it's alright. It's good to know I'm not the only one around my age who's got it, though it's rather unfortunate for the both of us...

I've heard of cocoa butter, but then that may be more for stretch marks. Grar. I just wish there was an obvious way, and it'd be a bummer to do a bunch of weight training and cardio to lose all the weight, and have it still there because it's due to something else. But eh, I guess that's the process!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:14 am
kangaskhaaan

Heh, it's alright. It's good to know I'm not the only one around my age who's got it, though it's rather unfortunate for the both of us...

I've heard of cocoa butter, but then that may be more for stretch marks. Grar. I just wish there was an obvious way, and it'd be a bummer to do a bunch of weight training and cardio to lose all the weight, and have it still there because it's due to something else. But eh, I guess that's the process!

Yes, that would be a pretty big bummer sad I too wish there were some magical cream I could just slap on my skin and BOOM, cottege cheese GONE forever.

But hard work pays off. I wonder if a multivitamin pill will help. Do you know of any good ones?

**Edit: I just did some research and there are cream you can invest it. Cellulean seems to be one but don't know much about it. There are other creams but don't know how effective they are or if they will break the bank.

Also, cellulite is caused by increased estrogen levels, which means only women get it.

Apparently, working out and losing weight won't really help with getting rid of it. But to treat it, you need antioxidants, which can be found in green tea extract.

This article is a mom's discovery of cellulean and how she got rid of her cellulite problem in 2 wks  

A Touch of Evil

Tipsy Genius

Tandahda
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:49 am
Cellulite is partly genetic, partly environmental. You can't get RID of cellulite but I'm sure you can make it look less like cellulite. The only way to do anything with cellulite for sure is to prevent it, and that is by exfoliation, which brings blood to the surface of the skin and helps keep things moving there.

Exfoliation helps with stretch marks and scar tissue so I see no reason why it shouldn't help with cellulite but largely cellulite is a socially created issue. It wasn't a big deal 10 years ago, but now everyone and their dog is talking about it, and fancy that. There are things you can spend your money on to 'help' with it.

The only way creams are going to help you with cellulite will be the rubbing said cream in bringing blood flow to the skin. Which could be done better and cheaper with an exfoliating sponge.

Anti-oxidants are found in extracts and pills but they're also found in the best foods for you, colourful healthful foods that you're probably eating anyway. Carrots, squash, red cabbage, beets, blue berries, watermelon, green tea on it's own, white tea, and a host of other things.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:31 pm
I think cellulite are basically engorged fat cells, women-only (or like 99.9% women ha).

Massage/Tissue stimulation helps. I'm not sure about exfoliation because it's the fat underneath your skin, not your skin. Exercise, stimulation (rubbing in lotion or something), more water less sodas, and a cleaner diet.

Basically more water + exercise is the lifespring of the human race. Do it and it fixes most problems. x) <3

Stars in my Pocket
Vice Captain

Tandahda
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:29 am
The big thing that I have heard about it is that bringing blood to the skin is what helps about the exfoliation, not the actual action. Massage would work too.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:39 am
I have some major cellulite going on... sweatdrop . Even though it's been reiterated that it's genetic and you can't just get rid of it, I'm having trouble imagining losing the rest of my weight (60 lbs) wouldn't at least somewhat help. Maybe it won't, but it makes sense to focus on reaching the weight goal (including more water and exercise) and worry about the preexisting cellulite later...  

Euthanasia Phase

Munkers

6,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:12 pm
Cellulite is a combination of excessive fat storage and poor skin tone. You can temporarily reduce the appearance of cellulite by doing things like dry brush massage or applying lotion to the area to nourish the skin and help it tighten up a bit. Other than that, you just have to work on losing the weight.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:43 pm
There is that Nivea Goodbye Cellulite product line. You should try that and I am sure you have to follow a diet and exercise to help that stuff work. That seems like the best thing to me out there. Unless you have money for different procedures done today.  

ALLIGAT0R TEARS

Familiar Fairy

7,100 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Invisibility 100
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games