Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Repercussion

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Am I over-reacting?
  Yes
  No
  Need more information to determine
  Gold
View Results

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:07 pm
So, I was visiting my sister in Utah. My sister, while her actual religious affiliation is unknown to me, has expressed that she speaks in tongues (what she describes as "praying in the spirit"), but not "the Pentecostal thing." I think this has something to do with her being an ex-alcoholic, since many members of her Al-Alon group that she still regularly attends (clean for 15 years, go her) have the same practices she does. Now, I don't know if this is standard practice for A.A., I don't think so. My sister has her spirituality in roots with YHVH, so I'm assuming that by spirit she means the same or similar concept to the spirit as presented in the Trinity. She never explicitly said so, but this was the impression that I got. I do not, however, know if she believes in Jesus for sure; she only mentioned YHVH as god and the spirit (usually in reference to speaking in tongues). This is just background information to provide some kind of reference as to what I'm talking about.

Anyway, long story short: I was on the phone to one of her good friends and the person who introduced her into sobriety and this form of spirituality. This person asked me if I wanted to hear a blessing. Now, I thought by hear a blessing, this person literally meant hear a blessing, not receive a blessing. I do have reason to believe that instead of letting me hear the blessing, she imparted a blessing on to me. She was, as my sister would describe, "praying in the spirit" speaking in some kind of language that to me sounded like Hebrew. Now I wouldn't have minded, but ever since I felt spiritually... "weird." I don't know if this purely psychological or not, but I can't shake this feeling.

Has anyone had anything like this happen before?
What kind of repercussions could this have for me?
What can I do to make myself feel right again?
What can I do to tell if I am just feeling some kind of guilt from receiving a blessing of unknown origin or if I am suffering from some kind of spiritual misplacement?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:02 am
I have felt similar things. I have a friend who works with some spirits I do not. When he has done healing work for me before, it took days before the "odd" feeling wore off.

I feel that for me to speculate on the consequences of the blessing I would need to know what was said. Glossolalia in the Bible was a divine means to transcend language barriers as I recall.

I feel a lot of glossolalia is psychosomatic, brought about by social pressures to fit in with the religious group. The reason for this is that all the documented cases of glossolalia, the elements of speech from the syllables to the very consonants and vowels all stem from languages the speakers are familiar with.

The odd feeling may go away on it's own with time. You may want to try some form of spiritual cleansing or banishing- but if I were in your place I would need more information to figure out what the best course of action would be.

A lot of this stuff is very personal- so it is hard to come up with solutions, but shooting from the hip, if it were me, I would ask them to write down the blessing and then do some research. I feel that if the results are basically alphabet soup- I wouldn't be too concerned.  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:26 pm
Brass Bell Doll
I have felt similar things. I have a friend who works with some spirits I do not. When he has done healing work for me before, it took days before the "odd" feeling wore off.

I feel that for me to speculate on the consequences of the blessing I would need to know what was said. Glossolalia in the Bible was a divine means to transcend language barriers as I recall.

I feel a lot of glossolalia is psychosomatic, brought about by social pressures to fit in with the religious group. The reason for this is that all the documented cases of glossolalia, the elements of speech from the syllables to the very consonants and vowels all stem from languages the speakers are familiar with.

The odd feeling may go away on it's own with time. You may want to try some form of spiritual cleansing or banishing- but if I were in your place I would need more information to figure out what the best course of action would be.

A lot of this stuff is very personal- so it is hard to come up with solutions, but shooting from the hip, if it were me, I would ask them to write down the blessing and then do some research. I feel that if the results are basically alphabet soup- I wouldn't be too concerned.

That's a good plan of action actually.

I've started, gradually, to feel better. I have mostly just been praying and talking with the gods to sort of clear my head and keep my focus. I figured even if it was "all in my head," I couldn't go wrong with getting back in touch. My communication with the gods has been kind of patchy as of late anyway and I've been wanting to reconnect. I like your idea of researching the blessing though. I'll give it a shot and see what pops up.

Thanks!  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:12 am
I am happy to hear you are feeling better!  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items