Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Where do i need improvement??

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

neodavid

3,200 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:30 pm
Where can i improve on my art skills??

User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:39 pm
Hello!
I think you need a little practice overall.

Try working on the body proportions first.
(The girls hand seems too long, for instance)
You don't have to get tutorials or mentors to work on that.
Just look detailedly at people.
(looking at yourself in a mirror works, too!)

When you draw, start with the pose of your character with the shapes
that compose the body. Then draw the details like the face, hands,
feet and clothing.  

odd Rae

2,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100

Inflammable Artist

500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:05 am
As odd Rae stated above, a good way to start would definitely be to start with the shapes that compose the body. I do not do that when I draw my characters, but that's because I'm confident that even though I don't use shapes, the stick people I use will suffice, and that comes with years of experience (although I might have gained the wrong experience, but who really cares when it doesn't turn out too shabby?).

I suggest you draw the entire, naked body first before you put clothes on your characters. I don't do that since I am also confident in my skills, but I'll tell you that if you draw your characters first (full body and naked), you will get a ton of experience drawing the human anatomy. I say that 'cause that's how I got my experience.

All you really need to do is draw your characters, go and study some nude pictures, and continue to re-work on that one piece of art until it looks like something an experienced artist would make. You don't have to work on the same page/paper; you can re-draw that same picture over and over again with newer improvements. This will show you exactly how you have improved. If you're like me though, and you honestly cannot stand re-drawing the same thing over and over again, then just re-draw the character in different situations with your new improvements and gained knowledge (if you've been studying how the human body looks like). You're bound to see improvements somehow.

You can also find pictures of existing characters and try to recreate those pictures with just your eyes and your hands as your guide. This will help you with body proportions because now you have something that you can literally compare your work to, which makes your life a heck of a lot easier when you're trying to see where you went wrong.

For the picture that you posted up though, you can improve your skills by using rulers to help you draw straighter lines for the background (floor and counter alike, unless you're drawing from some strange circular perspective or another).

Add creases to the girl's clothing, especially on her raised arm (the forearm and elbow would be good) and around her waist. You want to make it look like the sleeve of her dress is draping down her arm, and that her dress has volume or looks like it actually wraps around her body.

The same goes for the guy. More creases are needed in his clothing, and there should be some form of a crease around his private area since you want to make it look like it's bulging. Men's private area do bulge. I'm an eye-witness. >_>;

Make the triangles on his pants more rounded because although his pants are very wide, they still form some kind of circle around his legs since he's not a flat person.

I've been thinking a bit too much, so I'm going to stop here. What you should really consider doing though, if you want to see major improvements at a quicker rate, is draw naked people. Naked, naked, naked, with the help of naked-peopled pictures, and I can't emphasize it enough. It really, really helps with drawing the human anatomy!

With that, I'll take my leave.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff