Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
BUTT FL0SS Sketchbook

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

gold on the ceiling

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:06 pm
Hey errybody.
I got the idea from ConceptArt about Sketchbooks and then I saw this guild does it so here I am! ConceptArt is just a bit intimidating. >.>

Anyway.
I am an art major in college, but I don't go to an art school. I do go a liberal arts college. It's a great school, but what I'm probably missing is the variety of art classes available. Art school will be saved for later, grad school maybe.

I enjoy drawing, I used to paint, but with having roommates and remodelling our home painting with oils, not entirely possible. I do digital art because it's the least messy and I can get immediate results, but I do miss painting. And the painting class at school is horribly expensive, so unfortunately I'm really trying to avoid that.

I think I'm a good technical artist, but my creativity is lacking at times. I think it's cause I'm afraid of mistakes and so I'm not willing to push myself.

I'm also into photography, film and digital, but the most recent semester I took I didn't quite enjoy it. For me it's just a hobby at the moment, but because of major requirements, I'm taking one more class of photo.

My not-updated-very-often websites:
DeviantArt
Flickr

Feedback and critique much appreciated. <3

Right now I'm just going to post in order of when they were finished what I've done so far. For me it's studies and a few WIP stuff.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:13 pm
Studies from photos on DA
User Image

Photo from DA, anatomy studies from Character Designs
Link for Anatomy Nudity

User Image

I'm realizing from the head studies that I need a much better way of approaching and painting the face than what I was doing.  

gold on the ceiling

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:53 pm
You should be able to. I can edit and delete your posts. Maybe it's a glitch?

Your studies are beautiful. One thing you should be a bit more careful to observe is how space and volume are created with form/value/and colour in the photos. Unfortunately, I can't tell you how to do it, but I can say that it may help to imagine a floor that the object is sitting on. I believe it also has something to do with the edges you use. Hard and soft edges in the right places can do a lot for you. There is a tutorial on edges linked in the Resource and Tutorials sticky in the main forum.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:26 pm
Phew, okay that was weird and slightly annoying. All is fixed

Errol: I'm a bit confused on what you mean. Do you have any examples that can help?

~*~*~

Some more stuff.

Youtube still paints:

The Noisettes - Never Forget You
User Image

Thunderheist - Jerk It
User Image  

gold on the ceiling

gold on the ceiling

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:57 pm
Two WIP

User Image User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:59 pm
I just realized this, but I totally didn't mean for both of those WIP to be in walking stances. >.<  

gold on the ceiling

zathraya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:04 pm
Really really nice work you have there. The fruit looks kinda tasty. The people although it has it's flaws are still really cool.

I didn't know where to go so I guess I'll talk about the walking people. Ahem. Though the anatomy is quite nice I'm not getting much of a moving feeling. Maybe the foot that's going forward could be a little bit more in the center and brought forward a wee bit.

That's the only thing that bothers me about them. The designs and such I really enjoy though. I'd love to see them finished. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:04 pm
I see what you mean about the movement, for me that'd more apply to the first one, the second one I referenced off of a standing pose.

~*~

So, I'm a bad student of the arts (I don't consider myself an artist yet), I didn't sketch very much over my vacations, but I did catch up on my reading! Which made me happy, but I just didn't sketch much. :/

I don't know if I'm going to go back to the two girl WIP I posted previously. Maybe I'll keep the designs and apply them to different drawings. It's just every time I look at them, they seem so boring to me and lacking that I just don't want to finish them. But I probably should finish them. Or maybe I'll just redo them and start the drawing differently.

~*~

I'll just post a quick WIP, the composition is still definitely being worked on, but the look I'm trying to achieve is a way of colorful that reminds me of traditional painting. I am using a reference, from DeviantArt, but I'm slightly too lazy to link it right now. The size you're viewing is a little less than 25% of the actual painting.

Link - Nudity  

gold on the ceiling

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces