Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Meat-eating friends. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does that annoy you?
  Yes!
  No, I just ignore their ignorant remarks.
  This type of situation has never happened to me.
View Results

jacketcat

Friendly Cat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:58 am
[Beautiful Oblivion]
My friends are pretty supportive and respectful. I have one friend who always says, "I need meat, I could never live without it blah blah I hate veggies blah blah blah."

The ignorance I have heard from more than just one person: "as long as I don't see where the meat is coming from, then I can eat it. I don't want to see the animal being killed." that one just pisses me off everytime I hear it. It's like, just because you are blocking your vision to it, doesn't mean it's not happening!

I should make them watch Food Inc.

They say ignorance is bliss, but for everyone who is ignorant, it's just annoying >.< But I know a lot of people like that. They always say, "Oh, I would get so sad watching an animal get killed" or something, and then they would sit down at the lunch table and eat their meat.
Yeah, and you should definitely make them watch Food Inc.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:08 pm
Friends that try to tell you they know more about vegan/vegetarian issues? Yeah, I have a lot of those.

Most of my friends will get in debates about what actually happens at chicken coops and farms, and they'll be like, "Well, that wouldn't happen, because they government has laws against that kind of stuff." Then I would have to reply, "Obviously not, or that kind of stuff wouldn't happen". But they never believe anything I say (I think it's because they don't want to have to think about what they're eating) and always get into debates with me. Then I always have to tell them, "Look, you say you're right, but if you spend at least a minute on the computer to look this stuff up, you'll know what really happens." or "I'm the one that spends my free time studying this stuff, not you". I just get really annoyed when people act like they know what they're talking about. Whenever we talk about vegetarian/vegan stuff at our lunch table, everyone gets in a huge fight.

My cousin also once tried to tell me that it was illegal to make your child a vegan because it's malnutrition. And I started smiling (mostly because I've never heard someone say that, and I found it kind of funny), and told her she was wrong, because then I would know quite a few people that should be in jail, but aren't. She continued to try to debate with me, so I just gave it up. Basically, I hate when people try to talk about vegetarian and vegan stuff when they actually have no clue what they're talking about. I guess it wouldn't annoy me if they would listen to my side of the debate, but they never do. And usually when they say something to me one day, but I don't feel like debating how they're wrong, I go home and send them a link in an email about whatever we were debating.

>.< Sorry for ranting so much. This is just one of the things in my vegan lifestyle that irks me the most.  

jacketcat

Friendly Cat

Roxy Scissors

Anxious Genius

4,250 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:39 pm
I only recently became vegetarian. My boyfriend has been super supportive, but everytime he makes/orders food he asks me if it's ok for him to have meat.

I'm vegetarian, I'm not a nazi! I'm not gonna stop anyone eating meat, or even have a problem with it. It irks me a little... like he thinks I'm suddenly a judgemental a*****e because I'm vegetarian.  
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:01 pm
My girlfriends parents ask like every single question that you think a non-vegan would ask, and do it rudely. Like the b-12 thing. When I tell them it is not an animal vitamin and it is a bacterial one, they get all mad and say no it is not.

I always find it funny that the non-vegans are the ones that bring up veganism in real life like 99% of the time. The only time I bring it up is if they ask why I am eating what I am eating. But then apparently everyone becomes this doctor of nutrition when you say you are vegan.  

VeganAtheistNurse

Bokor Yukari

Lonely Girl

13,525 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:39 am
It's just hard dealing with meat eaters in general, lately I find that they're treating their opinions on the subject as facts  
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff