Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
anglo-saxon? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Scathefyre

Everyday Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:56 pm
I've been curious about what religions my ancestors might have believed in but I have no idea where to start out. The curiousity started with my family talking about the family tree and how far back they could go and such, which made me wonder about where my family must have come from and what their lives must have been like from recent times and then father back.

I'm suppose to be mostly German then Irish and Swiss followed by a smatter of French and Bohemian? (as I am told by my family, my great grandmother had some Bohemian but I'm not sure what they meant by this.)

I have tried Wikipedia but as usual I get overloaded with information and I get lost, I learn better from other people, I get some idea of Germatic tribes and migration, but how are they connected with Germany as it is today or even a few hundered years ago?

I don't mean to hijack this thread but it seems rather on topic.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:50 am
EmeraldLadder
(as I am told by my family, my great grandmother had some Bohemian but I'm not sure what they meant by this.)

Bohemia is Čechy, or the western half of the Czech Republic. The eastern half is called "Morava," or Moravia in English.

Quote:
I have tried Wikipedia but as usual I get overloaded with information and I get lost, I learn better from other people, I get some idea of Germatic tribes and migration, but how are they connected with Germany as it is today or even a few hundered years ago?

Well, Bohemia is only connected to Germany of today because it borders Germany. There is some cultural intermixing, particularly as a result of Austro-Hungarian and German occupations in the past - Czechs are still very much Slavs though, not Germans.

As far as I know, in trying to connect ancient tribes to modern Germany, the best thing to look at would be the names of regions and their geographical features (rivers and mountains and forests, etc).  

Collowrath

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:59 pm
Collowrath
EmeraldLadder
(as I am told by my family, my great grandmother had some Bohemian but I'm not sure what they meant by this.)

Bohemia is Čechy, or the western half of the Czech Republic. The eastern half is called "Morava," or Moravia in English.

Quote:

Well, Bohemia is only connected to Germany of today because it borders Germany. There is some cultural intermixing, particularly as a result of Austro-Hungarian and German occupations in the past - Czechs are still very much Slavs though, not Germans.

As far as I know, in trying to connect ancient tribes to modern Germany, the best thing to look at would be the names of regions and their geographical features (rivers and mountains and forests, etc).

It may be worth noting that Bohemian was a term that was used interchangeably with Gypsy.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:08 am
Brass Bell Doll

It may be worth noting that Bohemian was a term that was used interchangeably with Gypsy.

I understand the sentiment here, but in the future, please abbreviate this word to G~, or if more appropriate, use Roma. It's considered an ethnic slur to many.  

maenad nuri
Captain

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:37 am
maenad nuri
Brass Bell Doll

I understand the sentiment here, but in the future, please abbreviate this word to G~, or if more appropriate, use Roma. It's considered an ethnic slur to many.

Ah, you have my apologies. I'll use the word Roma in the future.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff