Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pokemon League of Gaia

Back to Guilds

Pokemon Trading, Gyms, League, & Tournaments. (via Wi-Fi) [Free to Join] 

Tags: Pokemon, Trading, Battling, Pocket Monster, TPLoG 

Reply TPLoG Main Forum
So, I suck at this. (Moveset + EV Training*) New.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Oh, hi.
  No.
View Results

Yumewa

Fairy

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:38 pm
Basically all aspects of Pokemon that is. I'm an old fogey who hasn't played since the original GS, so I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around IV's and EV's and all that jazz.

Anywayyy, I've got this Ampharos (Klaus be his name), and I'm trying to think of good move for him..totally didn't think about EV training until so late in the game. (He's lvl 63) As of right now he knowsss;

Thunder, Power Gem, Signal Beam & Focus Blast. Yea, bad, bad bad, bad. So I'm trying to remedy this poor move set list with something more suitable. So if anyone has any suggestions, please just throw them my way.

-----
Yea, I just added EV Training to the title, because I didn't want two topics right underneath one another when I have a perfectly good topic going here.

So I just want to touch base with few things on EV training. I've looked at a few guides and even a video...which I felt better explained things. ANYWAY I want to start EV ttraining my Cyndaquil and Squirtle. Both are level 1, Serious Nature, Starting Stats;
Nimbus (Squirtle) Knuckles (Cyndauqil)
Hp-12 Hp-12
Atk-6 Atk-6
Def-6 Def-5
Sp. Atk-6 Sp. Atk-6
Sp. Def-6 Sp. Def-6
Spd-5 Spd-6

I know that EP are things that can't be seen, so I must keep track of them myself also it's best to train 2 stats at a time. In regards to Nimbus I want to train him in Speed and Sp. Atk. I know there are various items used for EV training (Macho Brace, Power Anklet, Power Bracer, etc.) So in my case for training Nimbus, would it it be best to equip him with the Macho Brace or pick either the Power Anklet - Speed or Power Lens- Sp. Atk to start of training? Also, I am aware that before I attempt to start training, it's I should decide on which item to use and then use Vitamins based upon the states that I want to train them in as each vitamin provides 10EV's for that stat. So I must give him 10 vitamins for a total of 100 EV's.
I deeply apologize for that winded explanation for those of you who are educated in the matter. My question is; If the Macho Brace is attached, would he get 2x the EV's from the vitamins = 200 or would it still be 100?

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:42 pm
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/249.shtml

this site has move lists, and there stats from min to max

pokemon moves should be based off stats  

Hoshioni

10,900 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Brandisher 100

Arcanas

Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:57 pm
Thunder Wave/Cotton Spore (Amphy is slow, so these will allow him to get the first hit)
Signal Beam
Power Gem
Thunder Bolt (it's not as powerful as Thunder, but it's much more reliable.)  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:32 pm
I use:
Charge
Discharge
Rain Dance
Thunder

Rain Dance makes thunder a sure hit. Charge + Rain Dance + Thunder does an insane amount of damage, and won't miss. Discharge is just for an average attack.

Though, my Amphareos is more of a back-up weapon then a main pokemon, with an extremely high Sp. Atk. xp  

Braying Punk

Vesperalda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:25 pm
Thunder has a low accuracy. Try changing it to thunderbolt, discharge, shockwave, or some other electrical attack that's more reliable.

Power Gem and Signal beam are good attacks that I would keep.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:15 am
The only issue I have with a rain dancing Ampy, is the fact that he's slow. By the time you get your set up done, Amphy is most likely about to kick the bucket.  

Arcanas

Hunter

Yumewa

Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:32 pm
Thanks for all the tips guys! I'm still learning the new mechanics and all that. I wasn't much of a strategist when I first started playing.

I'm not sure how good these stats are considering I haven't attempted to properly EV train him at all;
Lvl - 64
201 -HP
122 -Atk
122 - Def
180 - Sp.Atk
134 - Sp. Def
115 - Speed

I figure since I like to keep him in my main party that I should try to arm him with moves other than electric type, assuming they don't hit becuase of type-disadvantage.

Or instead of Focus Blast, perhaps Focus Punch? Since it has a higher accuracy and great attack power?

This is just one Moveset I attempted to come up with;
Rain Dance, Thunder, Iron Tail, Focus Punch

Another possible one could be; Charge, Thunderbolt, Power Gem, Signal Beam?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:47 pm
Unless you've got some way to avoid getting hit from Focus Punch's charge up, I'd avoid that attack, unless you decide to pack substitute or something.

Also, regarding the use of Macho Brace + Vitamins, the EV's gained from the vitamins won't be affected by the Macho Brace, so you'll still only be gaining 100 EV from the 10 vitamins.  

Arcanas

Hunter

FIute

Greedy Grabber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:39 pm
You will get twice as long as you have gotten Pokerus, correct? As for the macho brace I like the power items more, they are all to one category, but you get three times the EVs.  
TPLoG Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games