Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Who Walks?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Walking!
  Yay
View Results

Stars in my Pocket
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:48 am
This, hopefully, is my last attempt at weight loss. I've tried dieting. I've tried exercising. I've tried running programs, DVD's, etc. Nothing has made me feel successful, nothing's given me any results.

Now, I'm walking. Not running, nowhere fast. Just 3.5mph (a good "I have somewhere to be but I'm not rushing" speed) on a small incline. At first 15 minutes seemed like forever. I popped in some headphones and kept at it.

I can feel my legs getting stronger, I feel my tummy tuck in, and I feel more powerful than I ever have! It's almost addicting.

In a matter of a week or so I built up to 30 minute walks, after that 40 minutes.

Now I'm aiming to do 40 minutes a day when I don't ride, and 60 minutes (a whole 5k!) at least 2 times a week. Surprisingly, no soreness, no super appetite jumps, just sweat and adrenaline and a really good feeling afterward.

------------------------------------------

So, who walks, how far/fast/often? Share your walking experiences! How do you gauge your walks? With a pedometer? Treadmill? Set path? Inside or outside? Tell us about it!

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:37 am
Hey!
I walk. I try to walk a lot. I try to walk to the subway, to the school, and recently i havent been walking as much as i would like to, i have to start again!
I usually walk for an hour two-three times a week with my boyfriend in the city, and i try to have at least 30min of walk per day.  

Lainauriel

Tandahda
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:02 am
For certain things and places I'd like to be it would take either one bus trip way far out of my way, or two bus trips. Generally if the walk will be less than 45 minutes, I try to walk it. Or if I'm in a hurry I'll bike. But that's only if I've got the energy to do it.

I find that when I'm walking places/riding my bike instead of taking the bus/other transport, I'm more successful. I don't know why exactly but I just am.

For me, I think its because I don't have that 'oh good, I've gone to the gym and burned X amount of calories, I shall now devour them when I get home' kind of thing that happens to me over the course of the day. Its not always as blatant as that, sometimes very subtle...

So I've been trying to walk somewhere at least every day. (Also it gets me out of the house) And that has been working really well.

Yay walking. : P  
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:17 pm
I just really hate the assumption that if you're going to exercise you must run. Walking is very beneficial and while it only burns about 66% of the calories that running would (as a general rule), I can walk for an hour, or run for 5-10 minutes. I end up getting a much better quality workout and can definitely feel the results when I do go for walks. (:  

Stars in my Pocket
Vice Captain

khionna

Salty Wench

39,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:32 am
Most of the time I walk at about 3mph (estimate since it is about 1.5mi. to the old highschool and it takes me about an hour to walk into town, go where ever I am going and walk home). Walking to town is downhill so walking home is uphill, I just don't know the incline. I really just walk when I go to my friends house or want to go into town but don't want to get a ride there. It use to be on an everyday basis, but now it is just every so often because I usually stay out for a few hours and don't like walking home after dark.

I use to walk to my bf's house almost daily and it was around 3.1mi and I would get there in about 45 min.  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:40 pm
I walk.
I walk to work.
I walk for work (hotwalker at the racetrack)
and generally I walk home/around the city, etc.
On average I'd say I walk about 6 hours a day, 5days a week.  

Groovy Spleen
Crew

Ligand

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:27 pm
I walk..since I hate high intensity cardio sad .  
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:28 pm
Groovy your job is awesome. :3

Ligand, I hate it too. ): My heart is weird and my asthma makes endurance at high intensity nonexistent.

Stars in my Pocket
Vice Captain

freelance lover

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:58 am
I've been walking for the few weeks in between moving out from college and moving into my internship, both where I have free gym access. I've been surprised how much it makes me feel better. It really is great exercise.  
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:14 pm
I used to walk 3 miles every day with my two dogs. That's how I lost the first 30lbs.

Now I live in an apartment, with just one dog who doesn't like to walk, she'd much rather chill on the couch.

But I work now as a dresser for shows at a theme park. So normally after the show we leave the venue and drive back to the office. I've started walking back once a day. Hoping to up grade to maybe two, but i work with another person so it's hard to talk them into it when they're a spoiled immature little brat who this is their first real job. I digress... sweatdrop can you tell i have issues with her?  

Soi Tsuba

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games