Welcome to Gaia! ::

Learn to Become a Literate Role-Player

Back to Guilds

This guild is for those new to RPing who wish to expand their abilites and become Literate Role-Players! 

Tags: Role Playing, Learn, Literate, RPing, Writing 

Reply zOMG!
To describe or not to describe

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dan the Dante

Familiar Guildsman

7,125 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:29 pm
Sometimes I encounter people who, quite literally, describe everything around them in an almost encyclopedic-like manner. For example...

"Yuki slowly reached for the fork engraved with elegant designs reminiscent of the middle Victorian era. She smiled a bit as this realization, her face gleaming from the thought of having made such an intellectual reference despite her age. Her soft and delicate fingers caressed the fork slightly as she lifted it off from the its location amidst the finely placed set of silverware. She looked at the line of forks, spoons and knives to see if she had chosen the right one, as it would greatly embarrass her is she had accidentally used the wrong utensil. The spoon's reflective surfaces acted like a mirror, and Yuki was thrilled that she was in fact able to see her own reflection on them, the knives were perfectly polished as well, but their blades scared her and so she didn't pay much attention to them. After deciding that the fork she had chosen was the correct one, she then shifted her gaze back on to the slice of cake that was laid out in front of her. It was..." Etc.

I do agree that this makes for a far more descriptive and literate post, and that it allows the reader to feel drawn to the character and aid them in picturing the scene in their mind. However, sometimes it can go overboard and end with long multi-paragraph posts.

I myself have never accomplished such a feat, but I was wondering on whether I should attempt to do so or not. Is it reasonable for one to describe everything in the scene to the most minute details? What do you guys think is the limit as to how descriptive one should be?  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:49 pm
Remember, people can't see what you are thinking. By being deep and thorough with your detail, you can paint the image you're depicting. I try to go into as much detail as I can so that my fellow RPers can see the image that I see.

Again, it depends on how serious your RPing group is. If you're with a serious group, it would probably be a good idea to go into that detail. If it's just for a casual setting, I would probably leave it to what mood I'm feeling to dictate the length of my post.

Hope this helps! biggrin

--xMikenno_Butaix  

FebruaryLiege
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Dan the Dante

Familiar Guildsman

7,125 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:50 am
I see what you're saying.

Though as a follow-up question, is it wise to post a three paragraph long RP post?  
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:23 pm
Again, it depends. There are many things to take into consideration as you post.

1.) Is the length of my post appropriate for the RP?
2.) Is the content of my post appropriate for the RPers?
3.) Is my post understandable?
4.) Is my post grammatically correct?
5.) Is everything spelled correctly?
6.) Is my post appealing? (Will people take the time to read it? Is it interesting?)
7.) Will my post paint the right picture, or the picture that I want to portray?

So pretty much, it depends on the RP. Just put into it what you get out of it. If you see other people posting little two sentence parts, then do the same. Likewise, if you see someone posting a rather lengthy part, then try to do the same. The sentence/paragraph count obviously does not have to be the same, but try to aim for a range within 3-4 sentences or 1 paragraph away from what everyone else is posting on average.  

FebruaryLiege
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Dan the Dante

Familiar Guildsman

7,125 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:33 pm
So basically just go with the flow right?

Thanks for the advise I'll keep that in mind the next time I'm RPing.  
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:06 pm
Yup, that's pretty much it!
Glad I could be of help! biggrin  

FebruaryLiege
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
zOMG!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff