Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Trial & Error [First time using digital!]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sauru

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:15 pm
User Image
Please click to see this larger.
I drew my OC Sachiko here.
This is my first time doing digital art, so I'd like to get some help on what to do make it better, more clean, etc.
Naturally, it's not very good and it's dull 'cause it's a first time, so please do not remark on the simplicity of the concept and such. I would like to know how to improve digital art.
I used Sai for this piece.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:33 pm
It would be helpful if you could let us know what program you used. I can give you critique, but it'd be meaningless if you're using MS Paint.  

Griffonage

Sauru

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:11 pm
Edited first post with that.  
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:35 am

Aww, I like your OC, she's adorable.

Well, the first thing I thought of (especially if you're using SAI): You should save your image as a PNG. It'll get rid of all the funky fuzziness that a JPG can create and makes it very very pretty for the web. biggrin

Since it's a chibi, I can only talk about a few things regarding anatomy. Her left leg (our right) is kinda wonky. I can't tell if that's maybe a leg warmer sagging over her boots, or just a messed up line. And the leg almost looks useless the way it's just hanging there. If you brought it where it's closer to the other leg, it might look more grounded. And if you added a ground line, that might solve the problem completely.

I also love the way the hair flows, and the eyes are just ADORABLE. biggrin I'm assuming she's Asian, because you've represented that well, and in a chibi even!

A few more things you might want to consider are:
-More shading on the figure as a whole.
-Color theory: will make her pop!

rnage bomb

Romantic Lunatic

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items