Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Good idea, Bad idea (I cast magic missle on j00!)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How often do you work magic?
  Daily
  Weekly
  Monthly
  Occasionally
  Rarely
View Results

SleepyKelvina

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:21 am
This stemmed from a silly conversation I had with a friend over spellwork and what conditions are appropriate for working magic. Unfortunately, way too many youngsters (and unfortunately, a few not so yongsters) are under the impression that they can turn their lives around if they light enough candles and burn enough insense. So in the spirit of the Animaniacs, here are a few things I came up with.

Good idea: Performing a ritual to attract wealth.
Bad idea: Performing a ritual in order to win the lottary tomorrow because you spent your entire paycheck on pot and now you can't pay the bills.

Good idea: Performing a ritual to boost your self confidence before heading out to a single's club.
Bad idea: Performing a ritual to make Brad Pitt fall madly in love with you.

Good idea: Performing a ritual to boost your self confidence before heading off for a job interview.
Bad idea: Performing a ritual hoping for employment, but you never leave your house and apply.

Good idea: Performing a ritual for protection.
Bad idea: Performing a protection ritual, then going out on the highway at 90 miles an hour, in high winds without your seat belt.

Topics for discussion:
When it acceptable to use magic, and when is it just plain stupid?
How big of a role does spellwork play in your life?
Does any spellwork you've done in the past make you look back and laugh?
Got anything to add to the list? XD  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:03 pm
In some ways before answering the questions you gave, it becomes neccesary to define what precisely a spell IS and also what magic is. If we use the broader definitions... of magic simply being using one's will to effect a change, we do this daily. But perhaps not, depending on how you define spell. I think most people consider spells to be more formal and ritualized, but there are those of us who just do things freestyle. Then it becomes a matter of how often do you do casual spells versus more involved spells.

As one who is more freestyle, I do not often do more involved spells. I don't do the whole circle casting bit most of the time, but instead simply calm my mind and focus on something. I do use tarot with some frequency, but I don't get terribly ritualistic with that either. I do it the same way I've done it since I was a kid since it works. =) Every so often I play around with sensing energy fields, charging random objects and whatnot. But other than that, I don't do much. My main focus is on nature and the magics Gaia shows us every day rather than witchcraft.

For the more involved spells I have done, none of them could be put on the list. I will admit I targeted a love spell at a specific person, but it was conditional and a request, not a compulsion. The condition was evidently not met, so nothing really happened. And I'm happy with that. It's my fault I didn't jump on him freshman year, after all. Not sure we'd make for lifemates anyway. whee  

Starlock

iRTsuki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:29 pm
I rarley do magic simply because i feel i should try my hardest to acomplish what i need to with my own will before taking the extra measure to do magic. so far its been pretty good that way. thats how i like to view it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:48 pm
I cast rarely. Its always from lack of material.

Not to mention my parents are not supportive at all, so I lean on the side of being a good kid, as apposed to casting spells behind their back.  

PhantomPhoenix0

SoilWork

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:38 pm
I work magic daily in a sense. I do the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram twice a day, I do the bornless ritual upon waking, I do Middle Pillar Ritual daily. I don't know if you could call that "magic" but it's part of the path I have chosen to explore. As for spells to get things I do those in a group setting usually because I see no need to do them myself because I don't think I need to use magic unless something is really bothering me or it's really important. I tend to stray away from what some people might refer to as "low magic" because i'm a big fan of evocation, it's something i've loved to do ever since I first evoked.

Response mixed with a little about me.

You all now know Soilwork a little better.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:24 pm
SleepyKelvina
Bad idea: Performing a ritual to make Brad Pitt fall madly in love with you.
Why would I want to make Brad Pitt fall madly in love with me? eek

As far as working magic, I'm always using visualization techniques to boost the chances of things I've already laid the groundwork for naturally.  

Tsuzuki

MST3Kakalina

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:19 am
SoilWork
I tend to stray away from what some people might refer to as "low magic" because i'm a big fan of evocation, it's something i've loved to do ever since I first evoked.

funny--if i'm going to do anything, i much prefer "low magic." highly ritualized things don't set well with me.

also, as i generally see a lot of magic as psychological in nature, i don't bother with it and stick with mundane solutions. i only use magic if there's something going on that i can't affect directly (ie, outside of my own behaviour, personality, etc).  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:40 pm
MST3Kakalina
SoilWork
I tend to stray away from what some people might refer to as "low magic" because i'm a big fan of evocation, it's something i've loved to do ever since I first evoked.

funny--if i'm going to do anything, i much prefer "low magic." highly ritualized things don't set well with me.

also, as i generally see a lot of magic as psychological in nature, i don't bother with it and stick with mundane solutions. i only use magic if there's something going on that i can't affect directly (ie, outside of my own behaviour, personality, etc).

I prefer evocation because I can ask them for a number of things in one quick sweep instead of doing 5 spells.

Highly ritualized things have always just gotten me in the mood to do my work, so the more ritual there is the more sucessful I am likely to be.  

SoilWork

Memento Mortalis Es

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:19 pm
Everything in quotes in the following joke should be said in a Jewish accent.

Quote:
A man prays to God, "Oh, Lord. Please help me win the lottery. If I don't win the lottery, my family will starve."

So the day comes, and he doesn't win the lottery. He repeats this over and over again for a month. Finally, he prays to God, "Oh, why, why didn't you let me win the lottery?"

Suddenly, a booming voice comes from above, saying, "Meet me halfway, and buy a ticket!"

"Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain."

People don't seem to get that if they don't back up their magical efforts with mundane efforts, they're pretty much guaranteed to fail.

Then there's the reverse idiocy: unwillingness to use magic at all, even when it is needed most. Or only doing vague, fuzzy, "love energy" magic. "Nature pink in gum and paw" as my father calls it. If all you do is send unfocused "white light" energy, not much is gonna happen.

Quote:
You got to know when to banish
Know when to vanish
Know when to back away, and know when to stand.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:10 pm
Good questions. surprised

And, to be honest, I've never cast any form of a spell or performed a ritual. I'm not ready, I don't want to offend anything, and I'm kind of unsure about where I stand with certain types of spellwork (be it ceremonial magic, hexcraft, protection rituals, etc.).

Basically, I'm a ferking n00b, and I'll be the first to admit it. xp

However, the questions you've raised in the first post have definately given me something to think about.

Really, I've got many years to go with my Asatru studies. Heck, it'll be a lifelong learning and growing experience. I've got a lot to learn and think about. It'll probably be quite some time before I do a spell and find out where my opinions lie with certain things.

[/babble][/$0.02]  

queertastrophy

Ranger Kate

Aged Codger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:34 pm
magic and discordia don't really mix, xp  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:05 am
Ranger Kate
magic and discordia don't really mix, xp
Ever hear of Chaos Magic?  

Tsuzuki

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:37 am
Good idea: Asking the gods to strengthen your judgement before you go out to a party.
Bad idea: Praying for the gods to save you from death before getting into a car driven by a drunk person or driving drunk yourself.

stare  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff