Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Starting the Gym on Tuesday, What Excercise's should I do?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What's the Best Excercise?
  Crunches
  Cardio
  Weight Training
  Swiming
View Results

juliezombie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:14 pm
I would like to know what kind of excercise worked best for you guys out there. I'm weigh about 425lb's and would like weigh about 175 is my goal weight. What tips do you guys have for me?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:08 am
For me it was all about biking. I love to bike no matter where I am, machine or outside. I can clock an hour on a bike going hard, but I can't run for more than a minute or so. My goals have been to get down to a weight where I'm not afraid to run and go for it to try and improve my running (and really it has improved. I used to be unable to run for more than thirty consecutive seconds!)

Weight training has been invaluable to me as well.

Have you talked to your doctor to get the go ahead to work out? I'm sorry to ask but its important. The last thing you want to do is hurt yourself because it just sucks all around to be motivated to change your life but be unable to.

(Btw, if you haven't noticed already because I think I've suggested that you to consult a doctor before... its one of the advice bits I default to and I know that sometimes its hard for my American compatriots to get to a doctor (sometimes impossible) but its very important to make sure everything is peachy, and sometimes they'll have good advice for starting off or keeping up. Though sometimes also they just suck.)

One of the best things I ever encountered was aquacise classes. If you live close to a pool you should totally check that out, my pool runs them on an admission basis (you pay to get into the pool and then you can go to the aquacise class) and its full of old ladies but its still really fun.

But really what will work best for you is something you like. I can vouch for swimming until the cows come home but if you don't like it you'll find it hard to get the motivation to do it.  

Tandahda
Crew

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:19 pm
ellipticals are a great place to start. They're non impact and a good easy cardio workout. But you can also adjust the resistance for a more intense cardio. I bought one for my room cause jogging was getting hard on my knees. I would honestly advise against jogging until you get closer to you goal weight. The heavier you are the more strain you are putting on your joints. Bikes can be good too. Stay away from weights and machines unless you know how to use em properly.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:27 am
Thank you guys for the great advice!!!  

juliezombie

Roslin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:12 am
I'd agree with the others. You should focus on low impact things for a while because your joints and muscles aren't used to the strain yet. I would consider consulting a doctor about what is best for you. If you want to get into weight training also (which is fantastic) maybe you can have a trainer for a day who can show you proper techniques and how to adjust the machines and stuff, because they can be pretty intimidating sometimes.

Low impact cardio: elliptical, cross-trainers, bikes, swimming, walking.

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games