Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Stylized Big Boy Anatomy - C&C Help Please?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Smut Peddler

High-functioning Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:39 am
Hello all, this is the first time for me to make a thread on this guild, so I hope that it will be welcomed. My name's Leviticus, Levi for short, I'm a bit of a workaholic, and love to draw. It's my passion and the thing that consumes my life and my free-time (Little as it may seem.) My art is in the works, and I'd really like to hear some input about what it strikes you as, what I could do to make it widely appreciated, and what you think would make it better.

I have some grasp on art, reading tutorials, watching youtube vids, reading art concept books, theory books, and a lot of self teaching. I know that from what I am aware of, I need to improve on: anatomy, perspective, light sources, balance and flow of pages, and white space (Or rather- backgrounds).

I appreciate any and all help given. I don't mind hard critiques, so don't feel a need to be evasive. I need honest critique, if you can give that, please do! ^______^

User Image

And in case you are curious, these are my two Siren twins, Nanashi (Right) and Debu (Left). They are supposed to have rooster like attributes, does it look like they do? Their personalities were the part I wanted to depict best here- being that Nanashi is begrudgingly allowing his brother to hang on him, as he makes it abundantly clear he doesn't care for it, his stance, being a bit resistant and even "Stepping Back" in a hope to express this. Debu on the other hand, was intended to look flirtatious and carefree, even allowing his center of gravity to be entrusted to his twin brother. Does it feel like this to you? What's your interpretation?

((This did have a ref. [x] in case you'd like to see what I did. ^_____^ ))  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:43 am
Welcome, Chocobochaos.

This is novel.

I do like the coloring of the skin and the headpiece, nicely done.
In terms of expressions, it's lovely that you used body posture to further accentuate the emotion. Nanashi's facial expression and posture is great. Though perhaps you might consider exaggerating Debu's a teensy bit more.

Debu's facial expression: You might try narrowing an eye (or both eyes), arcing the eyebrows more dramatically, or scrunching the area between the eyebrows to create a frown. Have him look at Nanashi, so that it's very clear that it's -this- person that's putting this particular expression on his face.

Debu's stance: Even with the step backwards, the overall impression from his center of gravity and curve of the spine is that he's leaning towards his twin. Move his shoulders and upper torso backwards, to show that he can't wait for his quick getaway.

The rooster's tail could do with a couple of lines to signify feathers, to make it more birdlike.

Hope that helps!  

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas