Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Polette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:55 pm
User Image

^^

After a very long time of questing in the shadows and lurking for events and such, I've decided to put up a quest thread! 8D Some really amazing people have helped me out with funds, so now I can really go after a custom! <333333333

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:57 pm
User Image

ox // Guides
ox // Quests

ooooooc: Alcyone
ooooooc: Winged Soquili
ox // Forms
ox // Funds
ox // Funding Helpers
ox // About Me

Polette

Polette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:00 pm
User Image

Name: Alcyone
Meaning: Based both on the star of the same name in the Pleiades Constellation (Taurus) and on the Alcyone from Greek Mythology:

Mythology

In Greek mythology, Alcyone was the daughter of Aeolus, either by Enarete or Aegiale. She married Ceyx, son of Eosphorus, the Morning Star.

They were very happy together in Trachis, and according to Pseudo-Apollodorus's account, often sacrilegiously called each other "Zeus" and "Hera". This angered Zeus, so while Ceyx was at sea (going to consult an oracle according to Ovid's account), the god threw a thunderbolt at his ship. Ceyx appeared to Alcyone as an apparition to tell her of his fate, and she threw herself into the sea in her grief. Out of compassion, the gods changed them both into halcyon birds, named after her.

Ovid and Hyginus both also recount the metamorphosis of the pair in and after Ceyx's loss in a terrible storm, though they both omit Ceyx and Alcyone calling each other Zeus and Hera (and Zeus's resulting anger) as a reason for it. Ovid also adds the detail of her seeing his body washed up onshore before her attempted suicide.

Ovid and Hyginus both also make the metamorphosis the origin of the etymology for "halcyon days", the seven days in winter when storms never occur. They state that these were originally the seven days each year (either side of the shortest day of the year) during which Alcyone (as a kingfisher) laid her eggs and made her nest on the beach and during which her father Aeolus, god of the winds, restrained the winds and calmed the waves so she could do so in safety. The phrase has since become a term used to describe a peaceful time generally.

The myth is also briefly referred to by Virgil, again without reference to Zeus's anger.

Personality: Aloof and calm, Alcyone speaks very softly. She doesn't like to be involved in conflicts and drama, usually drifting off somewhere in her mind if something like that arises. She's sweet, and likes to laugh, but doesn't have a sense of cut-and-dry humor. She has a love for the arts, a huge fan of music and poetry. She loves stories, as well, mainly fairytales and tales of mythology.
Description: All black with a lilac mane and tail. Mane is up in two side bundles, with curls draping down. Tail is curly as well, with black peacock feathers woven throughout. Her mane also has black peacock feathers, smaller and more delicate. Both sections have a small fluffy cluster at the base; on the tail, this is at the base of the tail, and in the mane, it is on on side of the head. She has simple jewelry pieces: a wrapped necklace around her whole neck, a wired/necklace piece on her mane, and a matching bracelet. Any designs are subtle and barely stand out against her fur.

User Image

Winged Soquili

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:19 pm
User Image

Alcyone

.:Wind Soquili:.
[b]Colorist wanted:[/b] --
[b]Name of horse:[/b] Alcyone
[b]Owner:[/b] Polette
[b]Gender:[/b] Female
[b]Temper:[/b] Aloof
[b]Breed:[/b] Wind
[b]Description:[/b]
[u][i]Styles:[/i][/u]
[list]
[*][u]Body:[/u] Regular
[*][u]Tail:[/u] Curly 2
[*][u]Wings:[/u] Original
[/list]

[u][i]Colors:[/i][/u]
[list]
[*][u]Body:[/u] Very dark black; any designs should be star-themed and in a dark color, so they are subtly noticed. o:
[*][u]Eyes:[/u] Lilac Purple
[*][u]Mane/Tail:[/u] Lilac Purple
[*][u]Jewelry:[/u] Shiny Silver
[*][u]Feathers:[/u] Same as body
[/list]

[b]Reference image(s):[/b] [url=http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad229/Polette_SoA/Hart and Hind/alcyoneherlarefcopy.png]General Ref[/url] [url=http://www.tigerlillyjewelry.com/images/trendsvalue.gif]o1[/url] [url=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y274/Polette/hairstyles___2nd_edition__by_NeonGe.jpg]o2[/url] [url=http://secondcitystyle.typepad.com/second_city_style/images/2008/10/19/feather_hair_accessories.jpg]o3[/url]
[b]Which stage you want them to start as?:[/b] Adult
[b]Default accessory color(s)?:[/b] Whatever you think looks best
[b]Premade Tag Number:[/b] 014
[b]Tag frame color:[/b] --
[b]Tag feather color:[/b] --
[b]Tag BG:[/b] --
[b]Hair/clothing edits:[/b]

[u][i]Edits:[/i][/u]
[list]
[*][color=gray][i]Refer to Ref o1 and General Ref:[/i][/color] Silver necklace wrapped up around her neck, draping + silver hair piece like in the picture + bracelet/bangles
[*][color=gray][i]Refer to Ref o1 and o2:[/i][/color] Basic hair style as in the General Ref, but fuller and fluffier. The bangs from Ref o1, with little influence from Ref o2.
[*][color=gray][i]Refer to the General Ref and Ref o3:[/i][/color] Black peacock feathers at base of tail, going out around the tail. Small gathering of black feathers at base of tail, with the peacock feathers coming out from that. Small black feathers interspersed throughout mane and tail.
[*][color=gray][i]Refer to the General Ref:[/i][/color] Expression edit to be a calm, distant expression.
[/list][/size]
[size=5](I have this marked as moderate edits. o: I'm a bit new to the system, so if I am raffled, can this be confirmed/denied? >w< *flails*)[/size]

Polette

Polette

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:24 pm
User Image

Alcyone

500k/850k

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:38 pm
User Image

Not going to mention any specific names, but you all know who you are. <33333

Total Donations

Polette

Polette

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:00 pm
User Image

Name: Polette ( RL name is secret~ ;D )
Meaning: There is none~ 8D
Birth: Aug. 16th
Likes: Fun, nice, exciting, open-minded, informed people, music *is my life*, chillin'
Dislikes: Ignorance, close-mindedness, arrogance

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:04 pm
Extra

Polette

Polette

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:07 pm
Extra

Questing HQ

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers