Welcome to Gaia! ::

Legion of Helpers

Back to Guilds

Help for new Members and Friends for those who have been here for years a place to call home! 

Tags: Help, Friends, Contests, Quest, RolePlay 

Reply Legion of Helpers
the pursuit of inspiration

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Blind Hodd
Crew

Aekea Champion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:53 am
so my cousin recently beat an ashtray out of two license plates and it looked rather inspired in a gear head sort of way.
first i was jealous, this kid of thing comes naturally to him and often. then i got an urge to do something creative. which developed into an urge to do something artistic.

one problem, i didn't know what i wanted to actually do or with what for that matter. then my cousin comes to the rescue by donating an old (60's old) analog TV with which he told me to run free.

naturally the first step is to tear it's guts out and look at what i had to work with... it's deceptive just how little it looks like there is to work with in a tv.

eventually after come creative thinking and poking about i came up with three concepts: schematic posters, ray guns, and some thing i called blosoming technology. all of which i hope to be taking pictures of along their path to realization. i however do not have the ability to upload pictures at the moment so i'll describe in words, albeit limetedly, what im trying to do.

i found two schematic diagrams in the back of the tv on the plastic back shell... originally i had intended to loosen the glue and mount them in frames with matting like professional pictures but the glue proved stubborn. so i am now considering using a saw to cut the plastic around the diagrams and useing the excess plastic as the matting. im not sure how this one will turn out... if all else fails ill just throw some sort of way to hang them on a wall and put them up in my bed room.

this tv is the kind with the knobs so as i took it apart i saw the housing for the innerds of the knobs. naturally they were similar but diffrent enough that i could work two designs out of them.
all words i can think of fail me in describing just how interesting these units are.
i still need to find objects that fit the theme and serve as a handle... but it's a start and these look to be a fun piece to work on

the last "blooming technology" as it were is set to be a flower looking thing made out of a knob the channel ring and diffrent colored wires forming the "blossom" and the plug and cord forming the "stem" and the innerds of the smaller volume and reciver knobs forming "peatles".

im really excited! i can't wait to get to work on them better but it's late and ive things to do over the next couple days. makes me a little sad that i have all this drive right now but i have to wait.

at least i have this little bracelet made out of an inner wire with caps to tide me over....  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:58 pm
That's pretty neat.

Me, my fiance, and her dad are always doing stuff like that because he owns a demolition business and gets plenty of free souvaniers of all sorts. We all hardcore "gear heads" as you'd say, so whatever we end up making, me and her take to be our furniture. Must of the stuff goes to her dad, but we have some pretty crazy stuff like a coffee table made from an old Camaro engine block which has been cleaned and shinned and such.
We have another random kinna decoration table we use for a lamp made from an old Nascar tire. Stuff like this is a really nice way to touch up your living area cheaply.

If you haven't used the TV's screen yet it could probably make a cool table with the 'knob flower' thing you've planned planted on top as a decoration/center piece. I know a guy who's taken a broken TV's screen, painted it with some glossy see through paint, and made it a pretty bad a** chess board. As nice as chess boards come anyway.  

l-VK-l

4,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Citizen 200

dronze
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:49 pm
Just be careful... older electronics tend to have some nasty stuff in them, like mercury, lead, and other not so good for you things...  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:18 pm
dronze
Just be careful... older electronics tend to have some nasty stuff in them, like mercury, lead, and other not so good for you things...

the picture tube contains mercury, which is why that whole bit of it is still intact.... when i figure out what im doing i may take the screen off in a way in which the mercury remains undisturbed and do something with that... electronics of any era contain nasty hazardous chemicals and materials... trick is to know where they are.

also please take all electronics to approved recycleing plants. the alternitive places send them to africa where people who don't have protective gear beat and scrape all the nasty recycleable stuff out and many become ill.  

Blind Hodd
Crew

Aekea Champion

Legion of Helpers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas