Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Recipes & Cooking Tips
The one vegan cookbook I do NOT reccomend buying...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sakakikala

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:41 am
Unless you have a passion[and budget] for faux meats and lotsa sweets is PeTA'S College Cook Book.
A few recipes are GOOOOODDDD as in nummy, but a HUGE majority of the recipes include faux meats/cheeses[which cost will add up FAST] and some of them are so stupidly obvious it's not even funny!
Who needs a recipe for a Peanut-Butter-Jelly-And Banana "Sandwich" on a tortilla? I'm sorry but I figured THAT out a long time before that book. xD

A few things in it are nice, like the pudding, and the snack cake! (and the "fun dip") but there are probably only 30 worthwhile recipes in this book that aren't for the incredibly un-magiver, or the incredibly rich.
Just sayin...
If you want a recipe from it, I'll gladly send you a copy(of the recipe) for free.

Some things in this book are incredibly genius-y, and that makes this cook book something actually worth your time to look through. Go in your local barnes and nobles, or your library and look through it. =P  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:38 pm
Hey thanks for the warning! As someone who's going to go to college relatively soon, this does help. So, are there any that you've tried that you would recommend?  

winnlovesyou

Sakakikala

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:12 pm
I reccomend websites(cuz they are FREE) and Since I AM a senior in highschool, soo I shall be experiencing such penny pinching(which i already do. ;_; )

thevegetariantimes.com has some good stuff. =3

I ALSO reccomend buying the foods that have all the nutrients you'll need. Then just experiment!

oh! Stock up on broccoli! YOu can make some vegetable broth with it on the cheap!

You know how those HUGE stems tend to just go in the compost? I reccomend sticking thme in your fridge instead and blending them after you get some water to a boil. Add shrooms/sliced carrots/other fun veggies and after a little while wah-lah! cheap veggie broth/stock!

WAAAY better than 5$ a can(what it costs around where i live. ;_; )  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:28 pm
i got this cook book for free from the peta2 street team, and yes I totally agree with you on the amount of faux meats. I've made quite a few things out of that that were AMAZING.
LIke the one handed breakfast wrap. I take that for lunch at least 2-3 times a week at school. Here are the good ones I've tried that didn't use fake meats and were EPIC:
after party aglio olio
cheater taters and onions
micro-economical microwave potatoes
night owl nachos
broke a** cinnamon rolls
f-u tacos

and then the bad things I made were the super cheezy sauce. It was so gross. I left it on the counter, meaning to use it or dump it,a dn it turned into a science experiment lol
Also the fake blondies were awful they had the constancy of microwave brownies =/

I guess because I didn't pay for this cookbook, I really can't say much bad about it. If I had paid for it i might be really pissed, like I was with the vegan lunch box. I could have bought veganomicon, which is WAAAAAY more useful than the vegan lunch box, the only recipe I've made is the chocolate cupcakes.  

Peppermint Cherry

Jasmine Clash

9,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:08 pm
Sakakikala

If you want a recipe from it, I'll gladly send you a copy(of the recipe) for free.

yes, yes, yes!! I used to have that book and the only one recipe I liked out of it was the "better than bell burritos". My friend borrowed and lost that book and i've considered buying it all over again just for that one recipe. that would be great if you could share that recipe with me heart  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:32 pm
Yeah,

I actually don't own any veg*n cookbooks. I just substitute what I want for the meat products. I find that it's better to experiment than to try some of these "veg*n friendly" books.

As for PETA, I can't stand the organization. I *get* what they are doing, but as a whole, I feel that they go overboard. It's just a personal preference of mine to stay FAR away from anything labeled PETA as possible.

Thanks for the post.  

Nadira

5,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Recipes & Cooking Tips

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items