Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Creating a Storm Raven gunship (help)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

-xAngel of Redemptionx-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:00 pm
Well i'm running into the same problem that most Blood Angels players run into now, how to convert the enigmatic storm raven gunship.

I am at a loss for my own ideas as to how to convert one (first time i will have built a vehicle from scratch). I've found a few versions online that i like. But they are a)Expensive and b) I cannot figure out how to put them together by looking at them.

I need suggestions, if anyone has any, i would appreciate it

-Exark  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:13 pm
Take the body of a Rhino. Assemble it, sans tracks. Once it goes together, clip the wheels so that they are flush with the underside. Take some plasticard and cover the gaps that are left open.

Mount the twin booms of a Valkyrie on either side on top. Sling the engines wherever you want. I'm not sure where the hatches are on the Stormraven, so this might not work perfectly. Most folks should be ok with you proxying it, though.

Next step: Add a lift gantry to the back of the vehicle for your Dreadnought hooks.

Yes, it will still be spendy, but shouldn't be -too- awful.

That's just my opinion as a shoddy modeler.  

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

Sir Doober

8,600 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:32 am
You could always have a look at what this guy's done, might give you some inspiration at least, even if it is from Halo. razz

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230450815413#ht_500wt_1182  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:33 am
how about this?

User Image

its like a Lightweight Thunderhawk, so it retains the same common style seen in Space Marine flyers.

credit goes to its creator; "Truth Bearer", from the Heresy Online forums.

from what i can tell, its made from:
- An Imperial Guard Valkyrie (Body, Wings, Fins, Turbines, Rockets)
- A Space Marine Rhino (Front Window plating)
- A Space Marine Land Raider Crusader (Assault Cannons, Hurricane Bolters, Side Armour)

you could probably get ahold of the Rhino and Laider sprues without having to buy the full kits or even just the individual parts by buying them online, and to cut apart the valkyrie parts you will need a modelling saw.

however, the end result is pretty damned good, so definatly worth it.  

Darkweaver66

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100

-xAngel of Redemptionx-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:50 am
Fire, That's the one i was looking at
that Valkyrie conversion....awesome.

Plus i have a rhino i can use (razorback kit) and the LRC kit (but that will go to a Land Raider, i plan on fielding a redeemer mounted assault squad).

Thanks guys

but a lift gantry Caleidah? any idea where i could get one of those outside of forgeworld?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:06 am
Make it yourself. It doesn't have to be pretty. Put a platform in for the Dread to stand on with a few plastic hooks across either its head or arm to hold it in place.  

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces