Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
What is British Fashion? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gold?
  Thank You!
View Results

Annie Anthrax

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:13 am
Whatever Noel Fielding is wearing. ninja

But yes, I can't really talk either, when I wasn't trying to dress as a bit of a goth, was trying to dress as a bit of a punk. xd So not sure if I'm qualified to talk!
Anyone remember when it was cool for girls to wear those huuuge t-shirts with messages on them in big letters? I don't think anyone ever read them though as it involved looking at their racks for a bit longer than is polite!

You're spoilt for choice really.
At the moment, the sort of indie-ish fashion is very popular. As is, to an extent a resurgence in mod-type stuff (Fred Perry shirts, DM boots, braces, pork pie hats etc, Pete Doherty did it!).

But, if you're looking for something a bit more your style, you've got pretty much every single street culture invented. From punk to rave!

Does anything catch your eye in particular? I think the beautiful thing about Britain is that because we're such a melting pot of culture you can wear whatever you want really.

If you want local flare however, I'd always recommend a pair of Doc Marten boots, always guaranteed to draw the crowds and they will last you for the rest of your life! surprised  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:33 pm
I'm so getting into mod fashion. Found this old dress my mom bought me a few years back. Fits perfectly, and fortunately some random accessories that I've collected through the years complete it well (fate??maybe). However there were some people who I know for a fact were alive and well in the 1960's who didn't get the reference. But I love the style, and since perusing my current wardrobe I was amazed at how many retro belts and accessories i have.

Right now though, i'm looking at dresses, stockings, and shoes (must...have...more shoes!!! 4laugh ). I've been gravitating towards retro fashion and I've even found a nice bicycle for under $100 (also retro) to match. I'm not sure why I feel so girly all of a sudden, or anti-Uptown New Yorker razz

Well, it's fun finding a style and even more reinventing it. Thanks all for the feedback! smile  

Gjornia X

XtRA_CriSBY

3,350 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:17 am
Samuel Garwood
You can't go wrong with jeans and a t-shirt, finished with a stylish (non-sporty) hoodie.

biggrin

you will look like a piky if u were the same 1 evi day tho blaugh  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:36 pm
Nothing like some casual stereotyping, eh, XtRA?

And mod = win. 50s/60s dress, complete with coloured stockings and some Doc Martins will make you the coolest girl pretty much in the world.

Personally, gypsy dandy's the way to go. Big and elegant and beautiful and rebellious and a little leftist, just looking at ya. biggrin  

Behatzlacha-S

8,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Nudist Colony 200

Gjornia X

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:44 am
I'm totally in love with the red Doc Martens. I don't know why, it think they're cute (and reasonably priced at my local Macy's whee ). That and a fine pair of Mary Janes. I'm kinda sad that my mom won't give me hers...she never wears them... confused  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:31 pm
It really depends on where you are in england. In essex, most of the girls are bitchy slutty blondes. So they wear all of the skinny jeans and short skirts so you can see their panties eek
In london, you got alot of hoodies and people that hide out in dark streets at night. Most are druggies. xD In plymouth, we wear normal stuff. Just chuck anything on really. Nothing too good, or it will get muddy. Since Plymouth has alot of farmland.
So yes it depends on where you are in england. We have alot of styles and not just one. ^^  

Jessica_ Uzuma

3,300 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Gjornia X

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:59 am
The girls of essex sound similar to those from my hometown--they love to wear Uggs, sweatpants (usually tugged down low), fitted tees, and too much make-up. Not everyone goes blonde anymore, but nonetheless I doubt I will adopt the essex couture, too much like what I'm escaping now. Are leggings as popular there as it is in NYC?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:00 pm
Yes they are (:
I've seen a lot of Jeggings and Treggings around too but personally I don't think they beat leggings! x3  

mis_3a

12,225 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Garwaire

6,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:45 am
XtRA_CriSBY
Samuel Garwood
You can't go wrong with jeans and a t-shirt, finished with a stylish (non-sporty) hoodie.

biggrin

you will look like a piky if u were the same 1 evi day tho blaugh

True, or a student. Which thankfully I am, so I get away with it for now.
When I get a job mind you, I'll probably send the first few months wages on living in Top Man. Who needs food when you have good clothes? biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:03 am
Uh... there is no British fashion. Just consumerist fashion that you'd find in America.

Although I always find it strange, because Brits are very garish and don't mind their clothes being rather stupid, frumpy and horrible colours, while almost every European and Asian I've met is not only very specific about brand names, but likes to wear very conciously matching clothes.

So British fashion is basically not knowing how to dress properly.  

loIitoads

lampoon

Shirtless Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:17 am
from what i can see, british people have the best style. although i can't adequately describe it.
we have less of the anorak types.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:39 pm
According to magazines, 70's/hippy chic is in this summer, which means for the first time ever, I will blend in to local society. Huzzah.  

Snark Maiden

Gjornia X

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:18 pm
Would I fade out crying ? I've been doing sort of a 60's throwback style, incorporating some of the trends into my "modern" street fashion. I loathe bellbottoms. cry  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:23 am
Depends, if you colour co-ordinate your clothes, no, you'll stand out like a sore thumb, if you don't, yes, you will fade into the background.

Nobody here seems able to colour co-ordinate, it's more frustrating than the fad of boxers flaunting.  

Snark Maiden

Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces