Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Are There Actually Any Foods Like This?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

View Results

The Moon of Ceres

5,500 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:25 pm
Is there a such thing as a food that is:
1. Hot
2. Delicious
3. Doesn't make you gain weight and
4. you can a generous serving of it with no problem?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:48 pm
Let's dance in style, let's dance for a while...

I'd love to say there was a miracle food like that, but 'delicious' is a matter of opinion, so I'm not sure if I what I like is what you would also enjoy eating. Also, any kind of food can make you gain weight if you eat too much, with the exception of perhaps baby spinach and I'd be pretty sick of that after a while.

My 'hot', 'delicious', 'doesn't make you gain weight' food would be stir-fried veggies. If you stir-fry some broccoli or carrots with water and some spices to taste, it is absolutely fantastic.

I was sort of tempted to say popcorn, but I personally don't find popcorn filling at all. Not to mention that some popcorn (movie theater popcorn, for example) is actually extremely fattening.

... heaven can wait, we're only watching the skies.

Honeydew Ice Cream

Tipsy Ladykiller

Tandahda
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:00 pm
Popcorn, air popped with balsamic vinegar sprayed on.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:11 am
I'd say stir fried or steamed veggies. I love steamed carrots, or steamed spinach with a little soy sauce, personally. Honeydew's right, though. Too much of anything and you will invariably gain weight. I'd guess a plateful of veggies is better for you than a plateful of lasagna.

en-pointe off-balance

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:31 pm
Spaghetti squash!

1. Cut it in half lengthwise, then scoop out the seeds and the stringy seed-pulp.

2. Put a brownie pan or casserole dish in the oven, empty. Sprinkle liberally with salt. Set both halves of the squash, cut-side down, in a brownie pan. Put a cup or two of water into the pan, not enough to slop out over the edges; maybe half-fill it, at most.

3. Turn on the oven to 350 Fahrenheit degrees and leave the squash in there for about an hour. The skin will probably get charred, but it doesn't matter.

4. Remove the squash. Use a fork to 'fluff' the squash-meat away from the tough rind and into plates or bowls. Serve with pasta sauce and/or a LITTLE olive oil, maybe 1-3 ounces of browned ground turkey. Mm-mmm! Eat all you like, it's satisfying and very low-calorie.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:53 pm
THIS:

Moosewood Resteraunt's Moroccan Roasted Vegetables
"The colorful roasted vegetables in this recipe are softer and saucier than typical roasted vegetables, but the high heat and rapid cooking still infuse the vegetables with a roasted flavour and an intoxicating aroma.
"Serve over a grain, such as couscous, topped with toasted almonds, raisins, chopped hard-cooked eggs, or grated feta cheese for a balanced, ready-to-eat meal."

Ingredients;

1 medium onion, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch semi-circles
1 small eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch-thick semi circles [[personally I love eggplant and so use a HUGE one]]
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch-thick semi-circles
1 large red bell pepper, sliced into 1/4 inch strips [[for some reason I think yellow bell peppers work better, but red or green are good too]]
2 medium fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (15.5 ounce can, drained)
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
2 tablespoons vegetable oil [[again, this is optional as I can barely taste the difference with no oil]]
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 1/2 tablespoons tumeric [[even though it will turn your tongue orange it's totally worth it]]
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoons salt

Directions:

In a large bowl, thoroughly mix together the onions, zucchini, eggplant, sweet potatoes, bell peppers, tomatoes, chickpeas, garlic, oil, lemon juice, and seasonings.
Spread the vegetables onto an unoiled 11 x 17 inch baking tray. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and stir well; then bake for another 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
Serve warm.

Per 15-ounce serving: 296 calories, 8.1g protien, 9.5g fat, 48.8g carbohydrates, 2.2g saturated fatty acids, 0mg cholesterol, 1473.1 mg sodium, 10.3g dietary fiber

and of course if you skip the oil, the fat and calories are greatly reduced.  

The_Great_White_Snark

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:02 am
Veggies stir-fried with oyster sauce <3  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:53 am
I'm not really a fan of popcorn and things like that but I find stir fry veggies or some steamed broccoli to be extremely tasty. Though, the stir fry can get a but fattening if you coat it in things like soy sauce (my favorite thing for it gonk ) for example but if you add some chicken it is slightly fattening but also gives you a good amount of protein. I love broccoli though so I think it is just yummy by itself if you cook or steam it.  

khionna

Salty Wench

39,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50

Munkers

6,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:15 pm
I really like to slice up a bunch of zucchini and mushrooms and saute them together with garlic. Then, right before they're done, I toss in some soy sauce.

Broccoli slaw (it's like shredded broccoli stalks) is also good sauteed until tender and then tossed with spaghetti sauce. The texture is pretty similar to pasta, but with way fewer calories.  
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:50 pm
Spaghetti sauce and cooked canned beans (heinz makes some nicely flavored ones, like chipolte barbecue.) work over everything that has any kind of texture. Spinach, Kale, Shredded zucchini works nicely too for noodles.  

Tandahda
Crew

Stars in my Pocket
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:53 am
Soup! I love tomato soup. (:  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games