Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
so close

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

darkviewoflife13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:47 pm
my mom is really close to accepting my choice in religon but she wants to read a book on it first. completely understandable accept i can't find a good book for her to read. any suggestions?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:32 pm
Erm... well, it seems to me it would depend on which religion you are following. (you didn't say, but I'm going to assume it's Wicca :3 )
The only book advice I have is not to hand her a Ravenwolf book. I'll leave it at that.

What I would recomend you do is print out things you find that you feel explain your religion/beliefs accurately and in an easily understandable way to those who may know nothing of it.
Relying on one author just doesn't seem like a good idea to me, especially with parents involved, ie...
Suppose you disagree with something an author has written in the book, you're parents read it, find it offensive and think you (and everyone else) believe it too, even if you might not. Most times parents don't actually ask in these matters, they just assume and form an opinion that way.
However if you have any books that you've read, liked, and agreed with, that would seem best to me if she's insistant about the information being in published book form.

I hope that helped. You made me realize that I'm not in the least prepared to explain to my mother that I'm no longer Christian, much less to explain to her what religion I follow and why whenever I actually figure that out xp

Hope it goes well, Dark :3  

Elizabeth Tarion

darkviewoflife13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:08 pm
thanks, i would print stuff out but my mom is coninced anything online is fake  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:15 pm
take a look at the recommended book list. there are lots of options there.  

iRTsuki

Elizabeth Tarion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:13 am
darkviewoflife13
thanks, i would print stuff out but my mom is coninced anything online is fake
xp That would suck if it were entirely true. I get most of my information from online sources.
I rarely get books from the library.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:47 pm
I'd go with Wicca: A Guide by Cunningham. That's perhaps the most non-offensive "pagan lite" text I can think of off the top of my head.

Also- he did a take on the whole "Witchcraft Today" (did he call his one that? I know there are a couple of them out there...). Bottom line, since you're a minor and are not going to be taking part in the Great Rite- I see no reason to offer anything that falls outside of your belief system. Furthermore- encourage her to ask you questions personally- as you seem to be an eclectic pagan, and that means that you are the final say on your path- over any author.

(Dancing With the Sun, if you can find a copy of it- is a good into to the most basic "pagan" holidays)  

TeaDidikai

Starlock

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:17 pm
It's also hard to go wrong with the Dummy/Idiot guides out there. Those are, I think, better starters for non-Pagans than Cunningham's work as they're written for that kind of audience in many respects.

In general, though, one book isn't going to do a justice. It really won't.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:53 pm
Starlock
It's also hard to go wrong with the Dummy/Idiot guides out there. Those are, I think, better starters for non-Pagans than Cunningham's work as they're written for that kind of audience in many respects.

I've looked them over. They aren't what I would offer up to parents right off the bat due to some blinding flaws in history and the like.  

TeaDidikai

darkviewoflife13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:35 pm
TeaDidikai
Starlock

I've looked them over. They aren't what I would offer up to parents right off the bat due to some blinding flaws in history and the like.

yea i actually got one and every other sentance my mom said well it sounds like a cult and told me to find another one  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:47 am
darkviewoflife13
TeaDidikai
Starlock

yea i actually got one and every other sentance my mom said well it sounds like a cult and told me to find another one
Try Cunningham. He isn't Wiccan. He says he is- but that's another debate. He's also very liberal and an easy read.  

TeaDidikai

darkviewoflife13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:37 am
i acctually found the perfect book, the author eileen holland manages to sum up the idea of wicca in the introduction. it is a handy book entitled the wicca handbook and i have only read the intro but it seems to be the perfect book but i will look into the other ones for myself, thanks  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games