Do you like Diana Wynne Jones?
  Yes
  No
  Unsure/Haven't read her books
View Results

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:40 pm
You are welcome wink

I disagree with you about "grit," by the way.

Sometimes it is useful and artistic to use grit in a book, but one aspect of fantasy is its ability to explore the abstract and poetic, to use archetypes rather than worrying about "reality." In this world, kings have budget problems--and if they do not, it's often because they are giving someone else such problems.

Archetypal kings, on the other hand, are sources of wealth and reward. That's one part of their meaning.

I'd say that Diana Wynne Jones works more with the archetypal fantasy than with the realist fantasy.

Oh, and I do like the book better than the movie, when I compare them. In a lot of ways, though, it's almost better to see them as two different entities entirely.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:02 pm
Yes, the book is better than the movie. But, like Bookwyrme says, it's a lot easier to think of them as entirely seperate, because they're so different. When I start comparing the movie to the book, I get all flustered and stuff, so I don't compare them now.

Yeah, Castle in the Air is really only a technical sequel, but it was still good. Howl was just so entertaining as a genie. And Morgan was disappointed when he was turned from a cat back into a human baby. That was funny in itself. n.n  

NightIntent
Captain

Harbone

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:19 pm
Actually, there is one other beef I have with Jones, and it's a style thing.

Keep in mind that I actually enjoyed the books. She is not a bad writer by any means, but she does have a habit of wrapping things up with a long "matter of fact" explanation which often sounds forced.

Prime example, in Castle in the Air, since you already mentioned it, was Sophie's description of what happened to Morgan and how morgan was responding. While charming, it seemed a bit disengenuous.

Dark Lord of Derkholm has the same problem, particularly in her climaxes. It's fun stuff, but it often seems like she could have played it out a bit more rather than just dumping it in our laps at the last minute.

Now, that having been said, I must reiterate that these really were delightful reads and I enjoyed characters like Jamal and his Dog, Abdullah and his horrible relatives, the old Strangian soldier and some of the princesses emensely. Except or her tendency to rush the endings, as I mentioned above, Jones has a great, light-hearted style, good for all ages, really, and a great sense of initiative when it comes to revisionist fantasy.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:58 pm
i dont really critique books actually...i like them or i dont...i like her books...i enjoy reading your opinions though whee ....although if pressed i may rant as well  

laaalalalalalalalalas

sabriel111

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:17 am
I've read How's Moving Castle and thought that it was charming the way Sophie wasturned into an old lady and how her attitude was during the whole thing the book was really good so i also got Dark Lord of Derkholm from the book store and I'm planning to read it soon  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:18 am
I read one book of hers and that is the Merlin Conspiracy and I also bought it because of the pretty colors. Personally, I didn't like the book that much, but is was okay. SHe has a lot of books out and I'm planning to look up other books she had. Got any recommendations?  

gotmycarfixed

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:22 am
The Dark Lord of Derkholm. And, if you like that one, The Year of the Griffin after it. Also, try the Chronicles of Chrestomanci. It's a series, for kids, but it's very good. There's... five, I think, out right now, and a sixth being published sometime this year or so. Howl's Moving Castle is also good, as are Dogsbody and Castle in the Air. Oh! A Tale of Time City is one of my favorites by her. And... I think that's all the books by her I've read. That I can remember right now, at least.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:52 pm
I love DWJ books. My favourite has to be Fire and Hemlock. I have the biggest crush on Thomas Lynn. redface  

Weeji

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:36 pm
DarkMaiden13
I read one book of hers and that is the Merlin Conspiracy and I also bought it because of the pretty colors. Personally, I didn't like the book that much, but is was okay. SHe has a lot of books out and I'm planning to look up other books she had. Got any recommendations?

The Merlin Conspiracy is not one of her better books.

She's always at least entertaining, but does vary quite a lot in quality--I'd say Fire and Hemlock is a good example of Jones at her best, Dark Lord of Derkholm is mid-range, and The Merlin Conspiracy one of her lesser works.

To give some examples: Fire and Hemlock, Hexwood and Time of the Ghost are tightly plotted & make good use of the poetic & the spooky. Dark Lord & it's sequel, and Castle in the Air are more loosely plotted w/ bits that could be cut & some rambly exposition. The Merlin Conspiracy--well, there's nothing exactly wrong with it--a bit of a tendency to over-explain--but there's not a whole lot that's really right with it, either. It was mildly entertaining but wouldn't have made me read any of her other books, had it been the first of hers that I read. Her two books written for adults are apparently just plain bad (I've never read them) which isn't too surprising, really, because she has said she thinks children are more intelligent readers than adults.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:20 am
The Chronicles of Chrestomanci... wonderful books.  

fireandice13

Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces