Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
WIP First sketch of heavy character (Anatomy help!)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Spicy Bones

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:51 pm
Hi everyone! smile
This is a sketch of a larger fella, obviously. I've never drawn heavier folks before so I'm having a bit of trouble telling if he seems balanced between his upper and lower body.

I'm having big troubles with his arms/shoulders especially.

And also not sure if the size of his head is correct...

red lines would be awesome or just any suggestions. Thank you!!

User Image

-I'll be working on more of his actual form and values after I get past this. Just really want some anatomy help  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:06 pm
the length between the shoulder and forearm should be a bit longer, but other than that this is pretty good. I hope you show us the finished product!  

Cartooned DOOM

Spicy Bones

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:22 pm
c-rectile disfunction
the length between the shoulder and forearm should be a bit longer, but other than that this is pretty good. I hope you show us the finished product!

Yea I could see how that would work. He seems a bit too tight up there.

Thanks biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:31 pm
well overall i have to say your anatomy is pretty good.

i have to agree with c-rectile and your upper arm is too short if anything. the elbow should line up or be close to where the belly button is on the body. one of the ways to check tat if the arm isn't lined up with the body is that the upper arm(from armpit to elbow should be about a heads height. usually a little more but never less.

your shoulders are a bit weird only cause you don't represent the Trapezius muscle. which gives you a very flat and weird transition from neck to shoulder

your legs are a tad bit short(legs are kinda hard imo i always draw them a tad bit too long) this was easy to figure out cause (even though you question your head size its the basis of how we proportionate the body) your body is 4 heads from head to crotch which is correct. but from there on you're body only totals about 6 heads and that is a bit short. normally a person is about 7 1/2 heads high and just so you know a super heroic proportioned character is about 8 1/2 to 9 heads high

well i hope that helps and if you have any questions or anything was unclear let me know also if you really need a red line i can do one later if you realllllly need it  

Folken_Schezar
Crew

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces