Reply Writing Discussion
writing blockage!! help please!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

noxaster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:02 pm
Ok... I love writing stories but I always suck at starting them off... I usualy start them in the middle but have trouble connecting them together and starting it off. Does anyone have any tips?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:55 pm
One of the things I've tried when I had to write short stories for school, was carrying a pencil round with me, then if an idea came in to my head I could write it down, a lot of good ideas get forgotten  

thomulus

5,600 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Joonbong

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:09 pm
Start it out with a short phrase that would catch the reader's attention. But yeah, do what the person that replied above me said too.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:14 pm
K thanks for the advice, I'll try that!!  

noxaster

Evermore Reality

4,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:45 pm
Do you chart your chapters in advance? I find making a list of the events I want to cover and the order I need to cover them in helps me keep going when I'm stuck.

And my advice would be to start from the beginning, not the middle. Writing always comes more naturally to me when I pretend I'm telling myself a story: beginning, middle and end.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:42 pm
Good luck! biggrin  

Joonbong

Stelle Cadenti
Captain

Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:25 pm
Hmm, beginnings. I don't know if I can give you the best advice, beginnings are always the worst for me as well. Middles and endings come naturally, but I really have to squeeze my brain for a beginning.

What I find works best is to pick out one theme from your story, something that connects all of the elements together, and to make a concrete reference to that. I never go into feelings, but into sensations. Sight, touch, sound, etc. Try to draw out an abstract representation of your story into one small thing, then I find it sets the tone for the rest of the piece.

Just a question, are you talking short story or novel? Because if your answer's novel, then there's your problem right there. Go small until you're absolutely confident. I still haven't attempted a novel, just a lot of short stories.  
Writing Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games