No
View Results

Nerthus_water_nymph

5,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:44 am
Has any one noticed the exorbitant amount flowers cost around Valentines day, or in reality every day. These flowers generally die within a week of purchase, so why are we paying 50 dollars for something that will only last for a little while. People expect something for these "big" occasions, especially girls (yes I know that sounds like something the feminists in the guild are going to jump on, but since I'm a girl myself I will call my gender on it) The reason for this mono rant is that I spent the beginning of the week searching for a gift to give my grandmother for Valentines day. We lost both my Aunt and my Grandfather this year to cancer and I've been staying with her to help out, the ironic thing is she's helped me out more than I could ever repay. All the flowers I looked at would die quickly so there was absolutely no way that I was going to get them, so I was going to compromise and get some that we could plant if we wanted to. In the end the plant was going to cost nearly $50 (I don't like to sound stingy but I can't bring myself to buy something for that price with such a low shelf life). In the end I bought her a pearl necklace for $20. (she loves pearls) I feel much better with that gift than the flowers any day and I know my Grandmother would feel the same if she found out about the prices, she's already going to tell me I shouldn't have. What do you think about the prices surrounding flowers and the excess there bought during Valentines?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:12 pm
I agree with you on the cost of flowers. A bouqet of flowers, I think has to be $20. Maybe they cost that much because they want more money out of people, or they may be a rare kind(I would most likely be more leanent for that reason). There really isn't a need for flowers anyway.  

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Nerthus_water_nymph

5,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:00 pm
Exactly, why buy something that has such a low shelf life just because they look "pretty". I'd be mad at anyone, within reason of course, who bought me flowers, chocolates, or even a stuffed whatever on Valentines Day. I know its the thought that counts but why Valentines day, why not August 1st or any other random day. Plus if you want to delve further into its the thought that counts scenario then the person buying those things obviously doesn't know me that well because they would know how I feel about the subject and they certainly wouldn't get be flowers because I'm highly allergic to them. I don't hate flowers in any aspect but in my opinion they cost way too much for something that's gone in the general time frame of a week, if your lucky.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:40 am
Yeah,
What's even worse then flowers, is the adult kind of gifts.
That just makes me think that, they want to do stuff to me. >.>  

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

filigree hummingbird

Sparkly Prophet

9,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:10 pm
here's the reason they are so expensive..

most flowers sold in shops are either NOT native to the united states or are NOT in season and so are IMPORTED (i highlight to make a piont not to shout) from other countries like holland.
also these flowers cost a lot of money to grow and keep fresh. a tulip cost about $15 dollars to grow because they survive in very limited tempratures and moisture levels.
now if you tack on the shipping cost and tariff it gets even more expensive. then in the shop to make a profit the owner has to add on a little more to the price.

and there you are a $25 flower. it only last a week because its been already cut for at least 2 weeks

the best thing to do is look up in season flowers in your area or ones you can grow yourself.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:15 pm
This is how I tell MY girlfriend I love her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvr3Tra1EVY  

Matt Pniewski

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:50 am
Matt Pniewski
This is how I tell MY girlfriend I love her: