Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
serious veg.... but can't go 100%.... help?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you use/ eat things with gelatin in them?
yes
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
no
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
ummmm....not sure/ don't care
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

nautilus96

2,100 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Junior Trader 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:55 pm
Question 1: What brands of soap are there out there with no gelatin, animal fat, etc.?

Question 2: How to not eat things mixed with meat (e.g. stuffing, soup with meat in it) at home without having parents getting weirded out and offended?

Question 3: What brands of yogurt are there that don't have gelatin and are there any other foods like that I should be aware of?

Thank you, even if you give negative answers.
ninja mrgreen cool  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:29 pm
1. Dr. Bronner's soap.
2. I don't know your family, sorry.
3. Publix has no gelatin. Beware of cheese, it usually has rennet. Most candy has gelatin.  

Maggoty Anne

ikeywii

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:57 pm
Natures Gate makes good soaps/shampoos. Tom's Of Maine too I think although I've never tried it.

You have to tell your parents about your transition to get out of that. Sorry.

Whole Soy makes good yogurts.
Soy cheese can have casein in it, so beware of that.
Refined sugars are made white with bone char (needless to say is made of animals)  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:50 pm
When it comes to soap it's hard for me to suggest anything for you because I'm pretty sure you're from the states? And soaps do change around a bit. I use Val's Veggie Bars, but Pears makes a good gelatin free soap that you ought to be able to find down there. Certain stores and brands label their products vegan/vegetarian like Lush. I know it's not fool proof or fail safe, but my fiance uses the general guideline of if it's transparent there's probably no gelatin in it for soap.

For refusing things "I don't feel like it today" goes a long way when you don't want to get into a discussion.

Olympic yogurt has no gelatin in it. Is also a great brand but depending where you are in the states they might not have it. Apparently though you guys* get Silk soy yogurt so you all can suck my deprived Canadian toes.

*You guys being the majority of any website I'm ever on being American.  

Tandahda

nautilus96

2,100 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Junior Trader 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:08 am
Thanks a lot for all your opinions and ideas. to ikeywii, Tom's of Maine is really good. i think i have their toothpaste and mouthwash, and somewhere there's deodorant by them too.  
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games