Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

Reply Media Discussion {Everything on TV is true}
Pope Benedict attacks [UK] government over Equality Bill Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Galad Aglaron

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:20 pm
Semiremis
Galad Damodred
Semiremis
Galad Damodred
I think the Pope is an old fool, and the Catholic Church an archaic, obtuse institution that desperately tries to make itself relevant again by meddling in other people's business. Why can it not practice its own faith and leave everyone else to live life in whatever way seems best to them? A clerical collar or papal tiara does not give them the right to judge how others choose to conduct themselves.

Have you ever met the Pope?

Outside of Christianity I agree that the Catholic Church should not try to impose her religious beliefs on the rest of the world. Things have been moving in that direction though ever since Father Murray took up that dissenting view in the mid-20th century.

No, I have never met His Holiness. Which is why I think he is an old fool, although I do not know it. I did once have the pleasure of meeting the Dalai Lama, he was a nice old gentleman. A little odd, with a tendency to laugh at his own jokes. His laugh, fortunately, is so infectious that everyone else joins in. Oh, and I met the Archbishop of the Diocese of Melbourne once, and he told me that if he ever wrote an autobiography, it'd be called The Scented Thumb, because after blessings and things, his hand always smells of the chrism oil. Apart from that, my contact with religious leaders has been minimal.

The Church spent centuries as a major political power. I suppose the habit of telling people what you think dies hard.

The dalai lama! Nice, he's definitely on my list of people I would like to meet.

I've never met the pope, there are people I know who have though, I'm not sure what to think of him since I've never spoken to him but you think he's an old fool without even exchanging a few words with him?

I don't need to have exchanged any words with him at all to have formed an opinion about him. He is a high-profile public figure whose published opinion informs us of his convictions and opinions. I don't need to have said so much as good morning to him to have formed an opinion about him as an obsolete old dingbat who wishes to maintain the Church's stance of slowing down change and making rude remarks about anything they disagree with.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:48 pm
Galad Damodred
I don't need to have exchanged any words with him at all to have formed an opinion about him. He is a high-profile public figure whose published opinion informs us of his convictions and opinions. I don't need to have said so much as good morning to him to have formed an opinion about him as an obsolete old dingbat who wishes to maintain the Church's stance of slowing down change and making rude remarks about anything they disagree with.

While I agree you do not need to have spoken with the pope to form an opinion about him, I believe this post is out of line.

Please try to avoid general statements and stick to discussing specific issues.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Galad Aglaron

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:32 am
zz1000zz
Galad Damodred

While I agree you do not need to have spoken with the pope to form an opinion about him, I believe this post is out of line.

Please try to avoid general statements and stick to discussing specific issues.

Beg pardon. I was merely responding to a question. Forgive me if I was tangential.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:54 pm
Galad Damodred
Semiremis
Galad Damodred
Semiremis
Galad Damodred
I think the Pope is an old fool, and the Catholic Church an archaic, obtuse institution that desperately tries to make itself relevant again by meddling in other people's business. Why can it not practice its own faith and leave everyone else to live life in whatever way seems best to them? A clerical collar or papal tiara does not give them the right to judge how others choose to conduct themselves.

Outside of Christianity I agree that the Catholic Church should not try to impose her religious beliefs on the rest of the world. Things have been moving in that direction though ever since Father Murray took up that dissenting view in the mid-20th century.

No, I have never met His Holiness. Which is why I think he is an old fool, although I do not know it. I did once have the pleasure of meeting the Dalai Lama, he was a nice old gentleman. A little odd, with a tendency to laugh at his own jokes. His laugh, fortunately, is so infectious that everyone else joins in. Oh, and I met the Archbishop of the Diocese of Melbourne once, and he told me that if he ever wrote an autobiography, it'd be called The Scented Thumb, because after blessings and things, his hand always smells of the chrism oil. Apart from that, my contact with religious leaders has been minimal.

The Church spent centuries as a major political power. I suppose the habit of telling people what you think dies hard.

The dalai lama! Nice, he's definitely on my list of people I would like to meet.

I've never met the pope, there are people I know who have though, I'm not sure what to think of him since I've never spoken to him but you think he's an old fool without even exchanging a few words with him?

No one needs to exchange words with anyone before forming an opinion on that individual but if you want your opinion to genuinely reflect that individual than it's necessary. I suppose reading any full and complete writings of the Pope would suffice but I have a feeling you haven't done that either, and simple news snippets would not suffice.

Here's his encyclical letter CARITAS IN VERITATE, you could try that: Source

What rude remarks are you talking about?  

Semiremis

Galad Aglaron

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:24 pm
Semiremis
Galad Damodred
Semiremis
Galad Damodred
Semiremis
Galad Damodred

No one needs to exchange words with anyone before forming an opinion on that individual but if you want your opinion to genuinely reflect that individual than it's necessary. I suppose reading any full and complete writings of the Pope would suffice but I have a feeling you haven't done that either, and simple news snippets would not suffice.

Here's his encyclical letter CARITAS IN VERITATE, you could try that: Source

What rude remarks are you talking about?

Rude by implication, if not rude outright. The Church has a way of implying that no government can be the best it can be unless it embraces Christian thinking and morals. Of course, by that argument, the whole premise of Christianity is rude by implication, but that's another issue entirely.

And although I may not have read any published works by His Holiness, I do pay attention to his public statements.  
Media Discussion {Everything on TV is true}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff