Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Translations and Sacred Texts

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:54 pm
The inspiration for this thread came in part from people searching for good translations for primary texts and in part from my own frustrations from translating different things.

To those ends, the second post will be a list of quality English translations, along with the justification as to why they are considered such.

This brings me to a couple questions to further the discussion.
What do you feel makes for a "good" translation? Literal and Academic commentary? Ease of understanding? Beauty?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:55 pm
Translations of Source Texts

Hellenic:
Richard Lattimore, The Iliad (1951) and The Odyssey (1963)
Recient commentary references these translations as per Celeblin.

Stanley Lombardo, The Iliad (1997) and The Odyssey (2000)
Lombardo's translations are plainer and easier to follow.

Kemetic:
Raymond O. Faulkner's translations
Footnotes cite other authors and the words they translated, what he changed, and why.  

TeaDidikai

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:45 pm
For primary source of Egyptian texts (Pyramid and Coffin Texts, Book of Coming Forth by Day), Raymond O. Faulkner's translations is the most widely used and respected. He was an Egyptologist and philologist, and also taught Egyptian language at University College London for 13 years.

I think the reason why most reconstructionists prefer his work over the translations of E.A. Wallis Budge is because Budge's versions of history rarely differentiate between historical fact and conjecture. What I've noticed, though, is in my copies of the texts I mentioned above, Faulkner uses many footnotes to compare his choice of translating problematic words or phrases as opposed to other authors, and why he chose them. In this way we at least have other options of understanding a phrase, but justification for his choice. Budge also came before Faulkner, and generally the later in Egyptology one publishes one's work, the better, since we're finding new evidence all the time from which to understand Egypt through its own artifacts.

Personally, though, I would not even recommend reading the primary sources when beginning to study Kemet since a lot of the writings are not revealed texts so much as filled with many allusions to cultural peculiarities and mythos that for us would make little sense without prior background knowledge.

I think a "good" translation is one in which the ideas are presented from within that culture's understanding and context as much as possible, without modern bias getting in the way. It is also nice if phrases are preserved as they are, with footnotes explaining the significance with (is there is any available) a similar English idiomatic phrase that we can compare to- rather than just supplying the English equivalent itself. It would be problematic to approach Egyptian writings with the purpose of making them "easy to understand" since the ideas themselves are very complex. To disregard that would make the meaning lost in translation.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:52 pm
Translation is so difficult do to the limitations of writing systems in preserving expressiveness and language drift. Part of me screams that no translation is a good translation due to inevitable loss of context or literal meaning. We have less inaccurate translation. If it were practical, I would suggest studying the original language and cultural context there for and try to gather what passed for common parlance at the time.
This is not practical. So, the least horrid translation in my midn is divinely inspired by the agency that it regards.
Failing that, I want two versions.
1. The most literal.
2. The most emotionally evocative.
Both versions will be translated from the same source and will be translated by the same agency with copious notes on why the new version was made the way it was.  

Fiddlers Green

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:40 pm
I think I'd have to had an additional requirement to good translation to what Fiddler wants:

If the piece is in lines, put the translation in lines. Especially the Iliad or the Odyssey. I know it's supposed to be a great epic story so people like putting into prose but STOP DOING IT. First of all, it doesn't flow in prose, secondly, it makes a lot less sense in prose because the lines are often padded with common turns of poetry to make them fit the metre. It's why Homer will continuously call a hero brillant, because it makes it fit the line. Also, it makes it so much easier to reference.

As for the Iliad and the Odyssey, according to my profs, there are generally two seen as really good. One is a bit old, but very skillfully done, the other more recent, and they are the editions translated by Richard Lattimore (1951 Iliad, 1963 Odyssey) or Stanley Lombardo (1997 Iliad, 2000 Odyssey).

Lattimore is generally the favoured and the better one to pick up, because a lot of recent commentary is based on that version and he tends to be truer to the poetry, but Lombardo can be a little more plain and thus easier for some people, and also he does something very important that Lattimore does not. He preserves the word order of the first lines of the poems to put "wrath" and "man" first in their respective poems. This is important because that word is the entirety of the poem itself: Achilles wrath and (the wandering) man that is Odysseus).

But yes, for the Iliad and the Odyssey, Lattimore and Lombardo have very good translations for both.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:26 pm
TeaDidikai

Kemetic:
Includes footnotes that distinguish between hard evidence and conjecture about ancient Egyptian traditions

Oh, let me be a little clearer 'cause looking back now I can see why it looks like I said that. What I meant was in Budge's other Egyptological writings he puts forth conjecture as fact. However in the primary texts there's no room for that- but I've heard that his translations are prone to more error than Faulkner's.

In Faulkner's works, the footnotes are where he cites other authors and the words they translated, what he changed, and why.  

Bastemhet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:33 pm
Bastemhet
TeaDidikai

Kemetic:
Includes footnotes that distinguish between hard evidence and conjecture about ancient Egyptian traditions

Oh, let me be a little clearer 'cause looking back now I can see why it looks like I said that. What I meant was in Budge's other Egyptological writings he puts forth conjecture as fact. However in the primary texts there's no room for that- but I've heard that his translations are prone to more error than Faulkner's.

In Faulkner's works, the footnotes are where he cites other authors and the words they translated, what he changed, and why.
Fixed.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:47 pm
What do you think of the Bellow's translation for the Elder Edda?  

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100

EternalHearts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:00 pm

Apostolos N. Athanassakis' translations of Hesiod's Works and Days, Homer's Hymns and the Orphic Hymns are usually considered the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:50 am
EternalHearts

Apostolos N. Athanassakis' translations of Hesiod's Works and Days, Homer's Hymns and the Orphic Hymns are usually considered the best.
Why are they considered the best?  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces