Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
One American's thoughts on British Actors

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gjornia X

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:20 pm
Disclaimer: My views are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of other Americans.

Hi, all. I'm fairly new to the GBG. Last night I saw "Life on Mars"--the British version. It's been a while since I saw the American version, which if I remember accurately premiered late in 2008. It wasn't well received and was canceled before the first season could finish. I only saw the first episode of the original, and I must say I liked it--much, much more than the American version. In general, I have an affinity for British actors because they seem more real and believable.

That isn't to say that I haven't been moved to tears by some American TV characters. My only issue is that American media puts too much pressure on looks. Many a good actor and singer have been turned down because they aren't statuesque, or else pressured to undergo extreme changes to fit a mold. You and I know that your average 40 year old male has a pot belly, and women of all ages have meat on their bones (and they should!). Some people have yellowish teeth (more in America than America wants you to know) and teens have acne. Our TV tries to hard to cover up these flaws in our shows and make us feel bad about our own self-image by showing us celebrities with unnaturally white teeth, long thick hair, flat abs, and flawless skin followed by ads for gym memberships, Crest whitening strips, and ProActiv.

The actors on British television probably look (and act) more like your average Brit, than an American actor does portraying Americans. At least, I pray that all my premed friends don't sleep with every single co-worker on their floor when they start working at a hospital.

Sidenote: Whenever AmericA tries to remake British originals, they epically fail. I don't know why they don't simply air the original versions. We both speak English, don't we?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:58 am
Good point. The Office and Ricky Gervais's comments at the Golden Globes springs to mind.  

Behatzlacha-S

8,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Nudist Colony 200

Garwaire

6,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:18 pm

Hehe, maybe we should ship more Hugh Laurie's across the pond for you..

HOUSE FTW! :3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:22 am
I have to say I agree with you. I'm probably biased being a Brit anyway, but there's very little in the way of American television that I enjoy.

Although I thought Battlestar Galactica was truly epic. They did it proud, there. The characters were believable and I got really sucked in to the story. I didn't want it to end, because it meant that the characters I loved to watch would stop entertaining me. Although I've seen some people say the ending could have been better, I'm not really sure what could have been done better... Although I didn't like what they did with Kara Thrace. I thought that was a bit rubbish! ^_^

But I digress. Your thoughts on the differences between our industries are spot on. But I'm not sure why we have such differences. Could our differences in humour be a key example? British humour is a lot more laid back, I think.  

StudioGilliam

Thaddeus Grimlock

3,800 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Trader 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:28 am
I think both cultures have excellent cinema and TV for different reasons.

British - More convinsing actors/actresses in less glamorized worlds.

American - Makes situations, though unrealistic, exciting and makes the viewer quirst for adventure.

Im British and because of this i feel sorrow that this was not written in a more ironic fashion  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:12 pm
To Gilliam: I like British humor a lot. It's quirkier than typical "American" humor, which is more slapstick now that I think of every comedy film I've ever seen.

To Admireal Serenity: If only. British actors are scary good at American accents, whereas my (and admittedly all Americans') fake British accent always ventures towards something of an Irish-Australian hybrid. It's horrible, but luckily I'm not an actor whee .

To Thaddeus: Hollywood has a way of making epic adventure blockbusters. When I was younger, I wished aliens would invade the world so Will Smith could save the day. whee  

Gjornia X

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:00 pm
I don't know if realism is always a quality in itself, though it's very often admirable and powerful.

A staple of my childhood was Frasier, a clearly unrealistic but amusing and endearing little sitcom, and recently I got into 30 Rock - a comedy with much more substance behind it than any contemporary British comedy. Horne and Corden, anyone?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:09 pm
not to be mean, but i don't care at all for american's opinions

I just don't like america, i've visited america quite a few ties, and a lot of the citizens are just uptight pricks  

Arktik-Foxxy

Dedicated Exhibitionist

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Profitable 100

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:32 pm
I've heard more people say that about Brits than about yanks!  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:21 pm
which may explain my point of view o.o  

Arktik-Foxxy

Dedicated Exhibitionist

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Profitable 100

Gjornia X

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:54 am
Artik-foxxy, I am by no means offended by your opinion because you're entitled to it as much as anyone else. I'm sorry that the people you've met were jerks. Where'd you go in America?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:58 am
Invictus: I've never met a Brit in person who I didn't like. I'm not including celebrities who, regardless of nationality, I can't seem to figure out.  

Gjornia X

Garwaire

6,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:56 am
The reason you tend to see less unpleasant or British trollers/haters/spammers etc.. Is simply because there are less Brits on the internet in comparision to American youths. Its just a matter of ratios. I could say the same about my friends from Poland, I've never met a unlike-able Polish person, but that's simply because there are far fewer of them, that, and they tend to stay away from English based internet sites.  
Gaian British Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games