Welcome to Gaia! ::

Street Art Guild

Back to Guilds

Whether you do graffiti, paste ups, stickers, stencils or even just art inspired by them, this is the place to hang out 

Tags: graffiti, sticker, stencil, paste, design 

Reply Resources, Guides, and Tutorials
Graffiti - An inside look

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

profuse
Crew

Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:06 pm
First I must say this is not a burn on Gothfred, I have respect for my fellow writers.
I'm just putting what I've learned about graffiti in my years of doing it.
So I hope you enjoy.

Graffiti
An inside look
by: Munky OMA

P.1
I don't see graffiti originating in a major city such as LA or NYC. I see it originating from the minds of the people that need a way to lash out at the government. Graffiti to me is like a controlled anarchy, I say that due to most of us writers don't see the freshly painted white wall as someones property. I guess you could say we seek a beautiful destruction of the modernized lifestyle.

P.2
Here's my description of some of the writing styles.
Tag - A quick writing of a writers name, usually practiced for speed and perfection.
Throwie - Another form of a tag but with letter art. Most of the time it's done with simple block or bubble lettering. Usually done with 2 colors
Flop - Simple but well designed bubble/block letter art. Unlike a throwie, flop uses designs and characters in and out of the letters. Multiple colors used.
Wild - Complexed and well designed style. Wild varies between the writer's actually style of drawing, but no matter what wild always pleases the eye. Most people who don't have any knowledge of wild style would not be able to read it. The letters in wild style are usually blended and mixed with each other along with designs. Multiple colors used, experience and open mind needed.
Gang - Usually this is in a gangs turf, mostly compiled of stars, forks, crowns, and any other gang related symbols.

P.3
Well that's my description of this lovely art. I hope it helped those who needed a little bit of insight on the scene.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:17 am
sweet, No copy paste anywhere. Lol. Huh. I don't think I ever heard of a flop before, makes sense though. although I would just lump it in with a throw, just a little more complex.

People do graff for different reasons. I started out because I wasn't impressed with the government at the time (as you said).  

izak1399
Captain

5,400 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Megathread 100
  • Flatterer 200

profuse
Crew

Phantom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:54 am
Baby Tilt Wizard
Here's a pretty good flop artist.
I get most of my ideas of his stuff.

*video taken from Graffiti Instincts*  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:29 am
I don't know why I started graffiti... It was destined to be. lol  

SOEP ONE
Crew

The Committee Staff Member

6,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Committee Staff 25
  • nuGen Staff 25

Razor_Fluff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:22 pm
That was really insightful. Thanks for the literature, man. I dig what you're saying about walls, but I had a lot of friends who from a really young age got their houses tagged up all the time, and they hate it, because they just wanted people to respect their homes, ya know? So I try to respect people's property as much as I can. That's why I've only ever tagged on trucks and old pieces of wood so far neutral lame I know, but I gotta work past it.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:59 am
Razor_Fluff
That was really insightful. Thanks for the literature, man. I dig what you're saying about walls, but I had a lot of friends who from a really young age got their houses tagged up all the time, and they hate it, because they just wanted people to respect their homes, ya know? So I try to respect people's property as much as I can. That's why I've only ever tagged on trucks and old pieces of wood so far neutral lame I know, but I gotta work past it.

"PUBLIC Property"  

SOEP ONE
Crew

The Committee Staff Member

6,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Committee Staff 25
  • nuGen Staff 25
Resources, Guides, and Tutorials

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash