Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Authors to avoid?? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Accurate?
  Yes.
  No.
  I'm not sure..
  I just want gold :)
View Results

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:56 pm
silvereyes321
well, to me it depends on the person. i don't like silverravenwolf, where as others really do. i like scott cunningham, but not for all things either. one needs to trust what's in their gut and try new things, if something doesn't feel right to them, then, don't follow it. the main thing about wicca and such is that we don't follow just one aspect of it, we can follow many, no one is to tell us that we can't. just have faith in what you follow, and in yourself. blessed be.
Unless it isn't actually Wicca.

I like Cunningham. I think he has censored a lot of great old time folk magic, and I think it is incorrectly marketed as Wicca- but that doesn't invalidate the content, merely the label.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:27 pm
TeaDidikai
storytime!
i think that has been one of the best ways to fully detail what has been told to fluffies. i'm gonna use that for info dumps now!

blaugh yay Tea! heart heart heart  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:30 pm
phoenix_shadowwolf
TeaDidikai
storytime!
i think that has been one of the best ways to fully detail what has been told to fluffies. i'm gonna use that for info dumps now!

blaugh yay Tea! heart heart heart
Oh? The rant on the difference between mystery and revealed?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:36 pm
yes. but i really didn't see it as a rant. maybe it's just the way i define the word. really, i quite enjoyed it, hence why i put it as 'storytime!'.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:15 pm
phoenix_shadowwolf
yes. but i really didn't see it as a rant. maybe it's just the way i define the word. really, i quite enjoyed it, hence why i put it as 'storytime!'.
Okay. Fair enough- enjoy  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:09 am
but they also forgot one person surprised beron zell ravenheart or something or other. His books are supposed to draw children using harry potter and the lord of the rings as characters of *powerful wizards*.

Dorothy Morrison is okay. I didn't like her everyday magic book but her yule is amazing.

Konstantinos is phreakin annoying. I mean to draw people to his books the first few lines were:do you favor wearing black?do you prefer silver jewlry? Do you like listening to dark music? how fecking cheesy.

Sarah Lyddon Morrison is horrible as well. Shes got this *wiccans-are worshipping-the-devil-but-if-you-practice-hawaiian-witchcraft-your-okay * thing with her.  

Nashoba Kaga

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:25 am
Why does Konstantinos' marketer invalidate the rest of the book?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:39 am
It was just a complete turn off for me. I read into it though despite the cheezy introduction. I don't mean to be shallow, but i'm a writer also and I believe that the whole contents of your book can be summed up in your few first lines.  

Nashoba Kaga

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:44 am
As a writter, you should sympathize with him. Editors and Marketing people are evil incarnate. stare  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:04 pm
TeaDidikai
As a writter, you should sympathize with him. Editors and Marketing people are evil incarnate. stare
That must mean I'm devilspawn--my parents work in marketing research. wink

But yes, authors have little control over the package their work comes in. What the publishers think will sell goes on the cover once you've given them the rights to publish your work.  

TheDisreputableDog

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:17 pm
TheDisreputableDog
TeaDidikai
That must mean I'm devilspawn--my parents work in marketing research. wink

But yes, authors have little control over the package their work comes in. What the publishers think will sell goes on the cover once you've given them the rights to publish your work.
Yes. Yes you are. But we still love you.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:08 pm
For the most part his writing didn't bother me as much. It was just the crap they stuck in front of it. I mean he made some valid points.I stand corrected.  

Nashoba Kaga

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:33 pm
Lillitt
For the most part his writing didn't bother me as much. It was just the crap they stuck in front of it. I mean he made some valid points.I stand corrected.
Happens to the best of us.

Some of his earlier works were a bit fluffy, but he seems to have grown out of it.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:23 am
Instead of starting a new thread, I figured it would be best to put this here.

I am going through my "pagan" library, and planning on selling my fluffier books. Some books I am not entirely certain on.

Here is a list of the books I'm getting rid of. These are books that I think should be avoided. They are crap.

Teen Witch by $ilver Rabidwolf :: My mother bought it for me when I was 15. hahahaha. stare
To Ride a Silver broomstick
To Stir a Magick Cauldron *shame*

Celtic Magic by DJ Conway :: My gods, this was crap.

The Illustrated Guide to Wicca by Tony and Aileen Grist :: not only do they misrepresent various gods and goddesses, and jumble patheons, but at the end of the book they claim wicca is a DIY religion. (See pg 124)

Celtic Myth and Magic by Edain McCoy :: this used to be one of my favorite books. But she constantly mixes stuff up, and is historically inaccurate.

The books below are ones I am not so sure about...

True Magick by Amber K :: It has been a long while since I have read it, but I recall it having an interesting theory about magic, and basic principles on grounding, centering, and raising energy. Overall I found it to be helpful. Flipping through it now, I am seeing some potential for bastardization and historical inaccuracy.

The Modern Witch's Spellbook by Sarah Lyddon Morrison :: I am quite attached to this book, as it is the first book about witchcraft that I ever bought. I bought it when I was 13. The book is split into a few parts, the first being titled "Love Magic" and the second "Hate Magic." The first few spells I preformed were from this book. Morrison seems to have a fixation with the concept of the Christian Devil, a secontion in "Hate Magic" has a detailed full "black" ceremony.. Which still kind of makes me laugh.

The Wicca Spellbook by Gerina Dunwich :: My second book on witchcraft. Again, I am rather attached to this book. Dunwich spews the standard "craft of the wise" blah blah blah... but doesn't go into to much supposed wicca 101. This book is mostly a few spells, an herbal and symbol guide, etc. I wouldn't recommend it for those without a critical eye. I wouldn't call this book "wicca." Because I am pretty sure it is not.

Wicca Craft by Gerina Dunwich :: It is mostly just the same stuff in The Wicca Spellbook it does have planetary references for herbs... but I don't use it anymore..

Animal Speak by Ted Andrews :: I have had this book for years but I have never gotten around to reading it. It is about totem animals, from what I can tell, it takes most of it within the perspective of Native American culture. Though I am not entirely sure. Can anyone say anything good about it?  

VisasMarr

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces