Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Dryad WIP

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

F!ZZBANG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:34 pm
I started this drawing a while ago, with little idea of what direction it would go in. I ran out of steam and ditched it, but thats a horrible habbit, so I need your help in finishing it dX

It has wound up as lineart, but I'm probably gonna color it and remove the lines altogether. Idk why I spent so much time cleaning up the lines.
What I want to know before I go any further, is if there's anything messed up about the anatomy or proportions.
I've spent so long staring at it, mirroring it, rotating it, that I don't trust my eye anymore. XD

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I know the pose is awkward and uncomfortable looking, kinda what I was going for. I kept going back and forth between different positions for the front leg...

Problem areas: back leg / foot, hips, face, and not entirely sure about upper torso.

So. Anything look wonky? Any suggestions on the pose - how to make her look more uncomfortable/struggl-y?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:10 pm
User Image
Don't ask me on anatomy but I can help you on the emotion side. This chick definitely looks to be smiling. Her right leg seems to be turned unrealistically far. Think how you would look being swallowed up by plants (that's what's happening right?) I think it would be similar to what would happen right before you fall in a lake. Like maybe your eyes would be closed and your mouth would be open to snag a last breath before the plunge.

But I don't know the personality you are trying to get across. With the grit teeth it appears you want her to appear tougher. So maybe you could plant her feet and bend her arms to show she is trying to push away. And why is she looking at me? Did I do it?

IDK just throwing out ideas seems to be the only way I can help you. Good luck with whatever you decide. Sorry I'm useless sweatdrop

lalamariana

3,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100

no surrender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:29 pm
Okay, anatomywise most of it is very good. I expecially love the face. It's a cool expression, and a good head shape.
Her trunk looks a bit large and unshapely compared to the rest of the image. Either bring her back down, her ribs up or both because it's just slightly to big.
Her right leg is the main problem. At that angle she would have to be not only extremely flexible, but probably have sustained some kind of fracture along the way, mainly in the ankle reigion. Possibly rotating so the instep is on the ground instead of the ball of the foot would be more effective. (I did try to redline it, but I couldn't get it right, sorry! D: )
You've got a very strong and good line of the ground simply by placing her arms and left leg effectively, however her right is throwing off the illusion.
I suggest bringing it back into a crouching position, or, moving it on it's axis to something more in line with the rest of the limbs, that way it will be more believable.
Aside from that, it's totally awesome. I would really like to see it coloured.
Good work!  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:48 pm
What were you going for?  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items