Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Pagan Pyros Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you light on fire most often?
  Oils
  Incence
  Candles
  Paper and other trinkets
  Something else all together
  I don't light things on fire.
View Results

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:11 pm
candles (votifs, tapers or tea lights, depending on what i'm doing or what's handy/cheapest)

incense (dragonsblood and india temple mostly, just because they smell delicious!) edit: i prefer resins to sticks or cones.

paper or photographs (depending on the situation. i did a release burning when my ex and i stopped talking, it did wonders for my peace of mind)

have also burned herbs (mostly sage)

and i enjoy using oils ^^

lets face it, i just love setting things on fire! rofl

once i caught my microwave on fire, but thats a whole different box of crayons! ninja  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:31 pm
Bastemhet
I haven't come across an authentic recipe yet, but I know there were many inscribed on the laboratory walls at the temple of Edfu, and for perfume as well.

After a bit of digging, I found a bunch on google books here. They seem like a bit of work but sound like they smell delicious. whee I can't wait to make some!  

Bastemhet

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:49 am
TeaDidikai
I haven't met a pagan who didn't like to light things on fire.
Most commonly candles, parchment and incense.

So, the question at hand is this:

Do you use fire in your practice?
If so, candles, incense or something else?

When I use candles, I most often use chime candles. They're readily available in just about any color I care to think of. They're within my budget and I have some of the most adorable holders for them.

I don't actually use fire in my practice, although boy oh boy do I love using fire in general. The operative problem is that out of the Aspects and Essences I work with, only one is even close to fire conceptually (Star/Radiance) and that's really a different kind of "fire" than we get on Earth outside of a nuclear reactor or a nuke bomb.

I prolly could use candles or flame of some kind to solidify the connection more, but until I actually get some closer Essences to that zone (I'll likely not work with the Fire Aspect, too chaotic for me) I don't have much use for the burinating in my practice.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:34 am
I mainly light incense and oils, but in the poll I marked down candles because I left my incense and oil burners back home. They were a bit big to carry and I don't have a place to put them anyway, so I use candles more frequently these days. I generally light a single unscented candle, color depends mainly on what I have in stock at the time and also what I'm using it for. Unscented because they're cheaper. When I have the luxury of my oils and and inscence, though, dragon's blood is definately my favorite as well as rose and lavender.  

ShadowCatSoul

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:04 am
Never use scented candles myself. Lord only knows what they put into them and most of them never smell quite right.

I prefer dressing oils myself.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:51 pm
How does one burn oils? I've never burned much of anything other than matches, firewood, candles, and the occasional bit of food, but my mom just bought me some oils as a gift - more so as a perfume than to burn, but as it is pure oil, it ought to work for that, too, oughtn't it?  

Aino Ailill

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:58 pm
Aino Ailill
How does one burn oils? I've never burned much of anything other than matches, firewood, candles, and the occasional bit of food, but my mom just bought me some oils as a gift - more so as a perfume than to burn, but as it is pure oil, it ought to work for that, too, oughtn't it?

You'll need an oil burner for it. Oils made for perfume I'm not sure are safe to burn. If by pure you mean essential then it's fine to burn them, but if you want to wear an essential oil you'll need to put it in a carrier oil.

http://www.aromaweb.com/essentialoils/carrieroils.asp  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:41 pm
Bastemhet
Aino Ailill

You'll need an oil burner for it. Oils made for perfume I'm not sure are safe to burn. If by pure you mean essential then it's fine to burn them, but if you want to wear an essential oil you'll need to put it in a carrier oil.

By pure, I was referring to the '100% Pure Oil' that it typed on the label. It says that it is a fragrance oil, not an essential oil.

Oh, finally found the producer's website. Works a lot better when using the correct name. sweatdrop Apparently it isn't a perfume oil. Would that mean that it is unsafe or otherwise unsuited to use as a perfume?

Aino Ailill

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:50 am
Aino Ailill
Bastemhet
Aino Ailill

By pure, I was referring to the '100% Pure Oil' that it typed on the label. It says that it is a fragrance oil, not an essential oil.

Oh, finally found the producer's website. Works a lot better when using the correct name. sweatdrop Apparently it isn't a perfume oil. Would that mean that it is unsafe or otherwise unsuited to use as a perfume?

Well...I'm guessing by pure they mean essential oil instead of manufactured fragrance. Essential oil is not safe to apply directly on the skin without a carrier oil because it can cause irritation. I think the link I gave you shows how much essential oil you can add to a carrier oil for safe wear. If anything I'd try putting it on a small patch of skin to test it. I've heard that the scent lasts longer for essential oils if you wear a carrier oil, though.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:25 am
I'm partial to soap stone oil defuses myself.

But then, I like lighting things on fire. Barring that, you can get small brass rings that go around standard incandescent bulbs.  

TeaDidikai

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:51 pm
Bastemhet
Aino Ailill
Bastemhet
Aino Ailill

Well...I'm guessing by pure they mean essential oil instead of manufactured fragrance. Essential oil is not safe to apply directly on the skin without a carrier oil because it can cause irritation. I think the link I gave you shows how much essential oil you can add to a carrier oil for safe wear. If anything I'd try putting it on a small patch of skin to test it. I've heard that the scent lasts longer for essential oils if you wear a carrier oil, though.

xnodsx Thank for the help. <3  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces