Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Fitness shoes

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

__penguin__
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:35 pm
Has anyone tried those new fitness shoes? I think there are several brands, but the most popular right now is Sketchers Shape-Ups. Supposedly they make it so you get more exercise from regular walking. I kind of want get them, but they're like $100. *.* If anyone has them, how are they? Do you feel a big difference while walking? Are they worth the money?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:01 pm
I'll keep you my dirty little secret...

I've never tried those shoes, but they look very tough to balance on (is that how they burn extra calories?) so I don't think my clumsy self would be too well-suited for them. However, I took a look at an article here which states that they may not be as good as they claim.

...don't tell anyone or you'll be just another regret.

Honeydew Ice Cream

Tipsy Ladykiller

bittersweet irish coffee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:57 pm
TBH no sneaker is worth 100$  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:01 pm
Hey yeah, that sole looks mega bad for running in. You'd fall. o.o

And I think I actually have a pair of shoes that has the same effect, without the weird sole... xd Just this one regular pair of sneakers I have, they look kind of like converse but a lot cuter. I walked a bunch in them one day and after a while it felt like I had gotten a really good leg workout (and I've walked about the same amount in other shoes without that effect).  

__penguin__
Captain

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:28 pm
I'm very skeptical about them, although I havent done that much research on them. I would think that 45 mins on the treadmill would burn far more than walking in them all day, have a somewhat lower chance of injury, and be significantly cheaper. I'd rather spend $100 on some good running shoes  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:58 am
I've tried them!!

Ok, the shape up shoe from sketchers is about $100. They aren't terribly attractive, unfortunately. They are actually knockoffs themselves, from MBT's (Mumbai Balance Technology) which run about $250. Then there's the cheaper knockoff brand of MBT's, called the TheraShoe. They aren't any uglier, chunkier, or anything like that. But they are only $35.00. Big savings.

I tried on the Sketcher's shoe, and it was quite comfortable. All they do is simulate you walking in sand though, and encouraging you to walk heel-to-toe in a rolling action that may or may not burn a few more calories for you. You won't really lose weight, unless they motivate you to go out walking a lot, in which case it's the walking that's doing you the good.

I decided to buy a pair of the TheraShoes though, and it's comfortable. Not quite as comfortable as the Sketchers (and MBT I'm sure) but for the $65 savings I just bought some squishy insoles.

I noticed my calves got a little bigger, but walking used some muscles I wasn't used to. I got used to them after a day or so, and still wear them occasionally. I prefer my Mizuno runners though.

In summation, they're decent shoes but they won't lose weight for you, they might tone a little but lunges and squats are better, but if you're on your feet most of the day (I walked all around university with them) you'll feel it. I wouldn't spend my money on the Sketcher's brand when all they have that TheraShoe doesn't is a comfier insole. I ended up buying Dr. Scholls and was happy with that.

I don't use them hardly ever anymore though, they look brand new hah. They didn't do much for me at all. They took about 5 minutes to get used to the balancing (the soles give so it's not like you're teeter-tottering or anything) and it just didn't... shine, as far as my expectations for all of the hype went.

Here are the shoes pictured. MBT's, Sketchers, TheraShoe. Note the overwhelming differences. whee

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Stars in my Pocket
Vice Captain

Stars in my Pocket
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:00 am
bittersweet irish coffee

Respectfully disagree. No fad sneaker is worth it, but my running sneaks cost $110 and I've had them for about 2 years. They are the single most comfortable shoe I have ever worn, and I'd buy a pair every 6 months if I needed to (but the quality is excellent and they're super well-designed. Mizuno brand.) 3nodding I'd agree that a shaping shoe is definitely not worth it though.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:07 am
bittersweet irish coffee
Mmm, idk.

I used to think that. I bought all my shoes at walmart.

But the first time I bought an expensive pair of shoes, I was surprised.
They lasted me 2 years before they started getting worn, and another year before I decided it was time to retire them.

They may have been expensive, but I put them through hell and they still held up.  

CondomAtTheCrimeScene

Tandahda
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:16 am
I'm in with the group of folks believing 100$ shoes are worth it. I buy hiking shoes from hiking stores and generally nothing I buy costs less than 100$ with the insoles I buy it ends up being like 140$. But it's worth it for me for the comfort and help it has to my body.

Real serious runners spend about 200$ a year on shoes for running because they actually do 'wear out' after six months. It's been my idea that I replace my insoles every year and hopefully my shoes will last around two or three years. *crosses fingers*

About the 'shape ups'. I'm skeptical of everything that is marketed to help people lose weight without effort. Weight loss takes effort. That's sadly not how it works. I hate quick fixes and how they're marketed.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:20 pm
Stars in my Pocket
bittersweet irish coffee

Respectfully disagree. No fad sneaker is worth it, but my running sneaks cost $110 and I've had them for about 2 years. They are the single most comfortable shoe I have ever worn, and I'd buy a pair every 6 months if I needed to (but the quality is excellent and they're super well-designed. Mizuno brand.) 3nodding I'd agree that a shaping shoe is definitely not worth it though.

Mizuno ftw. I got NZ$199 mizuni running shoes about 2 years ago and they havent worn down or broken at all. I only use them in the gym though ^_^ But still. So much comfort. So much support. 4laugh  

Iconised Ghost

CherokeeAlex

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:40 pm
These sort of shoes have been marketed for years, and they're just now hitting the mainstream. You aren't going to lose weight just by wearing them; they really don't do anything. It's a marketing ploy, nothing more. Just get some decent running shoes and go work out the real way, then you're getting your money's worth out of the shoe.  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games