Reply 13. ✿ - - - Animals And Nature
Apartment Dogs

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AriaStarSong

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:19 pm
I recently moved into my first apartment and I've decided that I really need a pet to keep my company and to help keep my spirits up. My depression and anxiety have been really bad lately, and I don't spend enough time at the barn to curb it at this point.

I won't be getting a pet in the next few weeks, because I need to find a second job first, my current one doesn't pay enough to support a pet as well as myself.

I've been wanting a dog forever, and my apartment does allow dogs, but there is a 25lb weight limit. I am a big dog kind of person. I don't like "yappy" small dogs in general, though I realize that every dog is an individual.

Can anyone recommend a small-medium breed that would do okay in apartment life? I don't have a yard or anything, but I'm a fairly active person and I could take it for walks/runs pretty much daily unless the weather gets REALLY bad (happens occasionally here). I don't know much about smaller breeds, because I've always planned on getting a big dog, preferably a pit mix, but there are also breed restrictions here. I'd most likely be adopting from the humane society or a rescue organization, but I have no idea where to start or what to look for in small dogs.

My apartment manager said that they'll let people slide up to about 35lbs and that they don't actually weigh people's dogs, so the 25lb limit isn't a hard one.

I was thinking about shelties, does anyone have any experience with them? How hard are their coats to take care of? (I've never had a long-haired... anything. Had a beagle mix growing up, short-haired cats, and my horses only get hairy in the winter, and we shave the ones who get REALLY long hair)

I also might get a cat... depending on how my situation pans out. There are still a lot of variables up in the air. I'd rather have a dog though. Having something that needs to be walked every day will encourage me to get out and move, which would help with my depression, it's just hard to motivate yourself.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:20 pm
You don't want a sheltie. They need land. They need to be brushed daily and groomed regularly adding to the pet cost bill. If love big dogs I have the prefect recommendation for you. They weigh on average 15 lb and have a comical version of the pitt personality. They are very easy to train and yippy or prone to separation anxiety. see below...

BOSTON TERRIER!!!

whatagirlwants

Christizzle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:49 am
Dang, I was gonna reccommend a Greyhound. Excellent, beautiful dogs. Perfect for apartment life.

Shelties need land, as froggymama said. I do not think that would be the best Apartment dog. Herding breeds tend to not be the best apartment dogs.
My recommendations:

Shiba Inu

or

Beagle  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:57 pm
Christizzle
Dang, I was gonna reccommend a Greyhound. Excellent, beautiful dogs. Perfect for apartment life.

Shelties need land, as froggymama said. I do not think that would be the best Apartment dog. Herding breeds tend to not be the best apartment dogs.
My recommendations:

Shiba Inu

or

Beagle

beagle might be ok but most hounds either need land or room to run and they get loud when lonely. They are bred to be happiest in a pack of other hounds. I don't know much about the Eskimo breeds I know I rarely see them in shelters which could say a lot. Also go on animalplanet.com and search "breed selector" you take this quiz and they match you the right breed for you. It is fairly accurate since every time I take it Boston lands near the top and I think they are the best dogs on the planet.  

whatagirlwants

Hester Peche

Perfect Genius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:01 pm
I live in an apartment, and I have a half-beagle/half-jack russel terrier. And she does incredibly well!

Though the terrier in her tends to make her a bit restless, I would reccomend a beagle. They are very calm dogs and easily pick up on their owners habits.

Or a greyhound, they are the same way.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:26 pm
Hester Peche
I live in an apartment, and I have a half-beagle/half-jack russel terrier. And she does incredibly well!

Though the terrier in her tends to make her a bit restless, I would reccomend a beagle. They are very calm dogs and easily pick up on their owners habits.

italian greyhouds and whippets would fall into your weight limit and they are very much like their larger cousins. Italian greyhounds are smaller but also frailer they are also calmer.  

whatagirlwants

AriaStarSong

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:26 pm
I was wondering about whippets, I figured greyhounds would be too big. I couldn't find a lot of hard information about their size. Italian greyhounds are adorable... I'd have to get clothes for any of those breeds, it's way too cold up here otherwise. whee

And I do love beagles, I was just worried about barking? My beagle mix barked a lot, no matter how well trained she was. There are pretty strict noise ordinances around here. I had a roommate a few years ago with a min-beagle that barked a lot, but then, he didn't bother to train her at all...

I'll check out the quiz on Animalplanet, thanks!  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:57 pm
AriaStarSong
I was wondering about whippets, I figured greyhounds would be too big. I couldn't find a lot of hard information about their size. Italian greyhounds are adorable... I'd have to get clothes for any of those breeds, it's way too cold up here otherwise. whee

And I do love beagles, I was just worried about barking? My beagle mix barked a lot, no matter how well trained she was. There are pretty strict noise ordinances around here. I had a roommate a few years ago with a min-beagle that barked a lot, but then, he didn't bother to train her at all...

I'll check out the quiz on Animalplanet, thanks!

If your worried about cold another good breed is the cavalier King Charles. It's a toy spaniel but its nothing like say cockers. They are sweet and have thicker curly coats but only need twice weekly brushing and quarterly grooming. My sister is a groomer and she considered getting one. She says they are always very well trained and most dogs she gets are bratty. Oh and you don't want a dachshund. I'm sure you already know this but they are the most aggressive breed.  

whatagirlwants

Christizzle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:40 pm
froggymama89
Christizzle

My recommendations:

Shiba Inu

or

Beagle

beagle might be ok but most hounds either need land or room to run and they get loud when lonely. They are bred to be happiest in a pack of other hounds. I don't know much about the Eskimo breeds I know I rarely see them in shelters which could say a lot. Also go on animalplanet.com and search "breed selector" you take this quiz and they match you the right breed for you. It is fairly accurate since every time I take it Boston lands near the top and I think they are the best dogs on the planet.

Really? Because I had a beagle and it was one of the quietest dogs I've ever had. Didn't whine at all, my Malamute was the noisy one.

It depends on the dog. I was just giving her advice based on experiences I've had in the past with those particular breeds.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:43 pm
froggymama89
Hester Peche

italian greyhouds and whippets would fall into your weight limit and they are very much like their larger cousins. Italian greyhounds are smaller but also frailer they are also calmer.

I've never met a greyhound or whippet that wasn't calm. I've met a ton of neurotic Italian greyhounds though.  

Christizzle

AriaStarSong

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:43 pm
King Charles were actually at the top of my list from that animal planet quiz thing! I've always thought they were gorgeous. I guess if I'm going to have a "toy" dog, those would probably be my first choice, though I have no experience with them. I may look more into that.
As for Dachsunds... *points to signature* I've known some nice ones, but they're one of the small dog breeds that I'm not a big fan of. Those and jack russells. And Corgis, though I know those are medium dogs. Jack Russells and Corgis especially, but that might just be association, since they are both the "in" dogs for the hunter/jumper horse world, which is the direct opposite of the Dressage world, which is my world. 3nodding

And I'm really not too worried about the cold. I knit and crochet and have always thought it would be hilarious to make a sweater for my dog. A lot of people around here have clothes for their dogs, there are a lot of stores that sell coats and blankets and things, because it gets bloody cold in the winter. So there's less of the "I'm dressing up my dog!" stigma. It's practical. My best friend has a blanket for her Rott mix, and my old horse trainer had a variety of blankets and coats for her Boston Terrier.

Christizzle - Thanks for the input! My beagle mix barked a lot, but that could have been the german shepard in her too... so I don't know. I looked up Shiba Inu and they look awesome. Definitely the kind of dog I'd like, and a good size. I might look into those. Thanks!

Another question. What do people who don't have a yard their dogs can go out in during the day do while they're at work? I know some people who go home at lunch to let them out, but what if that's not an option? I teach all day on Saturdays, currently, and will hopefully be expanding that as we contract with some care facilities (we've already got one potential! I'm excited! I can't wait to work with ADULTS again! Not that I don't love kids, but I prefer teaching adults). I can't go home in the middle of the day because, even if I'm taking a break, I'm the only certified instructor on site, so lessons can't happen if I'm not there (hopefully that will change this summer, Ellen's working on getting re-certified). So do they just have to stay inside and... hold it for 9 hours? I mean, cats have litter boxes, what can you do for dogs? I don't think I'll be able to afford some sort of doggie daycare situation either.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:58 pm
AriaStarSong
King Charles were actually at the top of my list from that animal planet quiz thing! I've always thought they were gorgeous. I guess if I'm going to have a "toy" dog, those would probably be my first choice, though I have no experience with them. I may look more into that.
As for Dachsunds... *points to signature* I've known some nice ones, but they're one of the small dog breeds that I'm not a big fan of. Those and jack russells. And Corgis, though I know those are medium dogs. Jack Russells and Corgis especially, but that might just be association, since they are both the "in" dogs for the hunter/jumper horse world, which is the direct opposite of the Dressage world, which is my world. 3nodding

And I'm really not too worried about the cold. I knit and crochet and have always thought it would be hilarious to make a sweater for my dog. A lot of people around here have clothes for their dogs, there are a lot of stores that sell coats and blankets and things, because it gets bloody cold in the winter. So there's less of the "I'm dressing up my dog!" stigma. It's practical. My best friend has a blanket for her Rott mix, and my old horse trainer had a variety of blankets and coats for her Boston Terrier.

Christizzle - Thanks for the input! My beagle mix barked a lot, but that could have been the german shepard in her too... so I don't know. I looked up Shiba Inu and they look awesome. Definitely the kind of dog I'd like, and a good size. I might look into those. Thanks!

Another question. What do people who don't have a yard their dogs can go out in during the day do while they're at work? I know some people who go home at lunch to let them out, but what if that's not an option? I teach all day on Saturdays, currently, and will hopefully be expanding that as we contract with some care facilities (we've already got one potential! I'm excited! I can't wait to work with ADULTS again! Not that I don't love kids, but I prefer teaching adults). I can't go home in the middle of the day because, even if I'm taking a break, I'm the only certified instructor on site, so lessons can't happen if I'm not there (hopefully that will change this summer, Ellen's working on getting re-certified). So do they just have to stay inside and... hold it for 9 hours? I mean, cats have litter boxes, what can you do for dogs? I don't think I'll be able to afford some sort of doggie daycare situation either.

I agree with you on the small dogs there is also only one Chiuaua I have ever likes and she's half sighthound...not sure what but she's long lean and fast. I also wanted to say that I love that you are doing your research instead of just going to the shelter and picking out the cutest one. Shelter advice see if you can do a trial run or take the dog back. Molly was hell I'll PM you about her if I can but basically we went through 2 months of canine hell when the problem could have been fixed in 1 day if we could take her back or ya know if the shelter had included the small detail of the fact she had extreme separation anxiety.  

whatagirlwants

AriaStarSong

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:04 am
ah, yeah, I think separation anxiety is common in shelter animals, unfortunately sad

I'm an animal person. I've been training horses semi-professionally since I was 16. I'm a professional riding instructor now, and I'm trying to figure out how to get a side training business started in a new city (with a MUCH more competitive market than my home-town!). I know how much of a difference breeds make in horses, and I've known enough dogs to know it can make a difference there too. I'm confident in my training abilities that I could potentially handle most problems, but my situation makes that less feasible. I can't have a dog that barks all day because my neighbors will complain. I don't have a big yard for a dog to run around in, and I think it would be cruel to coop something like an australian shepard up in an apartment all day. I've known a lot of Aussies, and they're awesome dogs, but NOT apartment dogs!
Basically, I understand how important making the right "match" is, with any animal. I've gotten several jobs riding really nice horses that were owned by awesome people that they just didn't click with.  
13. ✿ - - - Animals And Nature

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games