Reply Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}
RE: Before the bible.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

viper_353

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:43 pm
Haa, okay so I was reading, and someone mentioned that we don't have much going on in the 'bible' subforum. And so I wanted to make a new topic cause I think that's kinda sad. And so: here goes.
I was wondering. We have the bible, given to us to show us how to act, and what to do (God says: Your word is a light unto my feet and a light unto my path). But what about people who live without that? I know we try our best, but not everybody are ever going to hear Jesus' name. Not now at least. And so I was wondering, do you guys think that God has revealed himself to people in the past without the bible? If so, their accounts of him would have to be the exact same as what we think of as hm. Do we know of any of these cases? What do you think happened to people when they died without knowing about God? Discuss!  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:05 pm
viper_353
Haa, okay so I was reading, and someone mentioned that we don't have much going on in the 'bible' subforum. And so I wanted to make a new topic cause I think that's kinda sad. And so: here goes.
I was wondering. We have the bible, given to us to show us how to act, and what to do (God says: Your word is a light unto my feet and a light unto my path). But what about people who live without that? I know we try our best, but not everybody are ever going to hear Jesus' name. Not now at least. And so I was wondering, do you guys think that God has revealed himself to people in the past without the bible? If so, their accounts of him would have to be the exact same as what we think of as hm. Do we know of any of these cases? What do you think happened to people when they died without knowing about God? Discuss!

Jesus revealed himself to all without and before the bible so yes I'd say that he has.

I'm not so sure anyone has died without knowing God in some sense at least:

Romans 1:18-20 18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. 19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.  

Semiremis

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:41 pm
Absolutely.

I'm a big believer in that we're all basically worshiping different facets of the same God. I'm Christian because I believe in Jesus, but I accept some other religions as at least on the right track as well. I mean, how could you deny that someone like Gandhi was divinely inspired? There are plenty of people who have found God without the Bible. It's also worth mentioning that plenty of other religions developed independently of Judeo-Christian influence.

When you look at other major world religions that recognize a high being, "God" is almost always given the same characteristics and traits. Omnipotent, benevolent, creator, destroyer, and so one. All very similar to the Christian God. However, everyone has a different understanding of God, even within in Christians of the same denomination. We all view God, the Bible, and well... everything from our own unique lens. No two people in the world see God the same way.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:08 pm
viper_353

Christianity had no Bible for the first 300 years of Christendom.

The faith was passed down by personal testimony and oral tradition.  

Eykos

1,300 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Taree Kizer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:46 am
Eykos
viper_353

Christianity had no Bible for the first 300 years of Christendom.

The faith was passed down by personal testimony and oral tradition.

Yes.

And of course God has revealed Himself to people in the past without the Bible. I mean, how else would those first 300 years of Christians have known God? wink

For those people who have died without knowing about God, ultimately their salvation lies in the hand of God, and we cannot judge what has happened to them. And so neither can we say with certainty that they are damned just because they do not know Christ, especially if it was through no fault of their own. Even for those in our culture, who know about Christianity, but whose knowledge of Christianity comes merely from hypocrites and ill-informed Christians and so refuse to become Christians - are they really damned just because of that? I think not, because God alone knows their hearts.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:04 am
Luke 12:46-48
46The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the unbelievers.

47"That servant who knows his master's will and does not get ready or does not do what his master wants will be beaten with many blows. 48But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.

We cannot be perfect in our own ways. Those who didn't hear the word of God but when they did evil, they will be punished lighter than the one who did heard. The Parable of the 2 Sons, the wasteful son tried to find a resolution, no gain. His only hope was to rely on his father, the one resembling Christ. Unfortunately, the older son himself was a greater sinner compared to the younger son, he killed his own father; Christ!  

Ransom3d

Priestley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:42 am
Ransom3d
We cannot be perfect in our own ways. Those who didn't hear the word of God but when they did evil, they will be punished lighter than the one who did heard. The Parable of the 2 Sons, the wasteful son tried to find a resolution, no gain. His only hope was to rely on his father, the one resembling Christ. Unfortunately, the older son himself was a greater sinner compared to the younger son, he killed his own father; Christ!

Matthew 21:28-32 NIV
28 "What do you think? There was a man who had two sons. He went to the first and said, 'Son, go and work today in the vineyard.'

29 " 'I will not,' he answered, but later he changed his mind and went.

30 "Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, 'I will, sir,' but he did not go.

31 "Which of the two did what his father wanted?"
"The first," they answered.

Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you. 32 For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him.

Where in this parable does it state the highlighted events in your post happened? I don't see it. If you're going to be off-topic, at least be correct with it.

Please either stick to the topic discussed, post relevant scripture or both.

Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games