Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Muffin's Sketchbook Thread: Updated 1/4/10

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Frosted Muffin Cakes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:56 pm
Sorry if I'm doing this wrong. I'm brand new here. sweatdrop

Hi. smile
I'm Muffin. I'm 19, and have been drawing for longer than I can remember. I'm here for the same reason for everyone else: I want to get better, and I can't do it by myself.

I'm not used to getting C&C, so please don't just tear me apart. In return, I promise not to give you any of that "it's just my style!" crap.

I would love both written C&C or redlines, or whatever else you guys throw at me.

The first drawing I'd like some feedback on is one of my D&D character that I just finished a couple of hours ago:

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:29 pm
Hello and welcome : )
Good job putting yourself out there for critique. In my opinion, it's the fastest way to improve, although sometimes it does hurt a little. : P
The main problem I recognize with this picture is the neck. Necks are kindof like trees in a way, the base is NEVER thinner then the top of the trunk. Just make sure that you use this rule with your necks. Also the muscles joining the shoulder to the neck generally slope upwards a bit to the neck. You don't really need the lines defining the muscles on the neck, as they would only be visible if she were tensed ( you could still have the brown shadow but the hard black line is unnecessary). Also the clavicle don't need to be that harshly defined either, possibly something more like the top of th nose would be more effective. (I'm not sure if that's clear, but I can redline it if you like)
I hope you don't find that too harsh, because it is a very good drawing, with nice clear lineart and solid colours. The only other thing I could say is to be very sure of your lightsources.
But it's very well done. :>
Keep up the good work!  

no surrender

ASHLEYASDFGH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:44 pm
      No surrender covered the neck area, so I want to point out that the right hand (our right, the one hold the sword) is a little wonky. You might want to look at a reference for it.
      Its a great start, but i think the index finger needs to move down some. Don't be afraid to overlap the fingers~ because the position its in right now looks uncomfortable.
      although, i have very little hands... so... maybe people with longer fingers can do that. Haha. But I just tried and my fingers don't bend that way naturally; if I was posing for a picture, I would not hold something that way.

One more thing: taper your lines, maybe? Its a nice effect. Not a necessary tool, but it can help your lines from being too bold. Nothing (in real life) ever has a solid outline, you know? It varies. 3nodding

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:21 pm
Her tits are too high up and her torso is very short. Try to keep about a head length between the chin and the nipples and then another from the nipples to the navel. Another down to the crotch.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:05 pm
What Errol said is very good advice. Proportion ratios are essential to remember.

Also, is her right hand (our left) holding the whip? If so, the whip should come over the top of her fingers (but behind the middle.) It's not in her hand here, it's like... behind it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:54 pm
Wow, I'm not used to actually getting critiques! Thank you so much!

@No Surrender: It had honestly never occurred to me that I don't need to draw those lines on the neck. They're from before I colored my work. I'll give it a try!

@Ashley: Yeah, I noticed that, but I had forgotten about it by the time I scanned it in. sweatdrop I'll try and locate a mirror (or a person, I suppose) next time.

@Errol: Really? Crap! About a year ago, I realized that my torsos were way too long, and have been trying to work on it. I guess I over-fixed it. Thank you for the proportion ratios! I'll keep those in mind for next time!

@Fiammetta: Whoa, that's a fail. Her hand was meant to be holding the whip, and I really don't know how I managed to mess that up so hard.

Anyway, I've finished another drawing (though I did it before reading any of these comments, so I apologize if I make the same mistakes. It's pretty big, though, so here's a link, so I don't stretch the page too much.

Frosted Muffin Cakes

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff