Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[GoGo]

Hilarious Conversationalist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:05 pm
.�: || :�.

Alright well i dont know if any of you like Joel Osteen or watch him on TV but i am about to ruin it all for you ; ) I am doing this because he does not teach sound doctrine and he is a heretic to the Body of christ. Now you might say "You dont have the right to judge him" But alas i do. 1 Corinthians 5:12 "It isn't my responsibility to judge outsiders, but it certainly is your responsibility to judge those inside the church who are sinning." Even though i dont go to his big fancy church he still says he is a part of Christs body.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMwW6Q1JfAA

Now this video is a sermon that Osteen did and everything he said is a load of Horse crap. He says god sent christ to make us free and have good lifes and be happy and have enough money to make ends meet and what not. God sent christ because we were filthy dirty sinners and deserved to burn in hell for all eternity. But he loved us so much (John 3:16)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di9-PebV634

Please if you dont agree i would LOVE to talk about it with you. I want to help because if you are following this man you are learning the wrong thing.

.�: |User Image| :�.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:41 pm
"God made you to have lots of money in your pockets, and dont forget to share that with me - the messenger!"

Okay he didnt say that, but he bloody well should have.
...What the hell? Is this guy serious?
And in various videos, he's considered "a rising star"
He's a rising star? May God have mercy on us all and forgive us for our sins :/

Hrrm...He's quite a fence-sitter, which is okay for an average person..But this guy is a leader, people depend on him for guidance...How did this apathy get him that huge mega church?  

Call Me Apple

Sparkly Shapeshifter

Priestley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:13 am
Simple: people will happily pay a piper to play a tune they want to hear.

What does amuse me is that the person who uploaded the condemning video is so sure of his/her understanding of a particular version of scripture that he/she feels he/she can use it to condemn.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:27 am

See so many people enjoy going to his church because their ears get nicely tickled and hear good things. Christianity is a VERY offensive religion. Because it tells you the truth in life that you ARE a sinner and you WILL go to hell unless you believe in christ and pick up your cross and follow him. Osteen refuses to even use the word sin or sinners in any of his sermons which is pretty stupid =/ He is leading so many people astray from the true faith and it saddens me very much.

[GoGo]

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:12 am
Yay prosperity gospel! -kidding-

I don't entirely agree with you on a lot of your personal views, but I do think prosperity gospel is a load of crap.

I really hate mega-churches in general. I feel like they're extremely impersonal. I went to Lifechurch in Oklahoma City and really just didn't enjoy it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:21 pm

Lol
Let me know your views then! Believe me i'm not one to get angry or anything if someone rips me a new one. Thats what christians do to each other, because it helps build one another up ; )

Ya big churches are just stupid. In the end it ends up just being about making lots of money and what not. Plus the church itself isn't a strong foundation together since probably every member knows maybe 10 or so people out of the 239402384 attendees. My Church i go to know is pretty small (I want to say at our sunday services we have maybe 60ish people?) But i know most of them and they know me ; ) so our bonds as a church family is much much stronger.

[  

[GoGo]

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:35 am
[GoGo]

Lol
Let me know your views then! Believe me i'm not one to get angry or anything if someone rips me a new one. Thats what christians do to each other, because it helps build one another up ; )

Ya big churches are just stupid. In the end it ends up just being about making lots of money and what not. Plus the church itself isn't a strong foundation together since probably every member knows maybe 10 or so people out of the 239402384 attendees. My Church i go to know is pretty small (I want to say at our sunday services we have maybe 60ish people?) But i know most of them and they know me ; ) so our bonds as a church family is much much stronger.

[

Well, my understanding of really large churches and mega-churches is that they have separate Sunday school classes and home-churches and stuff, and they're like smaller groups within the church, so you can get to know a lot of people that way. The church I attended in high school was pretty large, but nowhere near that large of course. Regardless, we still had a wide variety of Sunday school's and such.

Granted, I'm not super familiar with what he teaches and I haven't had time to watch the videos. Regardless, I'm sure his teachings aren't completely incorrect. I grew up at a wealthy church, so the way God blessed people financial and what we in turn did with that money in the form of tithing was important. We had a ton of out reach ministries and a good percentage of our money goes to those. I think talking about money and the way God chooses to bless up with it is an important thing to talk about. All that being said, I know his church is a lot more prosperity gospel, which I agree a lot less with. A church shouldn't be focused on money, and those teachings are usually bull.

While I think it's weird that he won't even mention sin or sinner (which makes me wonder how he preaches certain passages), you can talk about Christ's sacrifice without calling everyone sinners. Growing up I never heard a sermon about hell, damnation, etc. Yes, they mentioned we sinned, but our focus was always on all that God has given us and celebrating that, including his sacrifice. Personally, I feel really uncomfortable going to churches that go on about what terrible sinners people are. I know I'm imperfect, and someone lecturing me about it is not all that productive. A lot of people feel that way, so not everyone is up for fire and brimstone.

Really, I would need to know more to really say accurately. I may be completely off the mark on a lot of these assumption or made myself unclear. Regardless, I'm sure the reason his church is so popular is because he completely omits any condemnation of people. As I said, free and brimstone makes a lot of people uncomfortable. I do think it's important to acknowledge sin at least, but I don't think it's necessary to dwell on it.

Oh, and the 1 Corinthian's verse you used... not sure it means entirely what you think it means, especially since there's a whole slew of verses telling us not to judge. I think the idea of it, after having looking it up in context, means don't associate yourself with false churches and stuff. As Christians we're called to lift one another up, not judge. Of course, I'd have to check the Greek, but I have a feeling it's not judge in the sense most people would understand it.

If that doesn't make any sense... sorry. sweatdrop

Media Discussion {Everything on TV is true}

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff