Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
First thread! : D

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pandzilla

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:45 pm
Oh hello
I have some december works,
and i'd like comments and critics, if you please.
just some things I'd like help on
1.Head proportion = Do i draw big heads? I think i do,I'm not sure though.
2.Short legs
3.Do the poses make sense?

Just rip me apart,
i want blood thirsty harsh critics.

see I want to become a comic book illustrator
hopefully for either DC or marvel,but I've still got along way to go i'm only 17
xD
so i'd really appreciate some help

Mind you,
that these are just basic sketches on photo copy paper,
I never go into much detail because the paper goes all smudgy
but i always tend to forget what paper i'm using
D:
so its like ''wow i'm really liking this!-Oh shoot its on photocopy paper ): ''

comments welcomed too!
: D

@Number 3 is a wip,
its the first time i did a head pose like that
D:
would someone please red line it?

User Image
User Image
User Image

and batman for viewing pleasure
(:
i'm sorry about the crappy star
):
User Image

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:39 pm
1st one: her left eye is looking straight forward, whereas the right one is looking up and forward. Hair is like a block, it looks nothing like hair. Nose slants upwards, eyes are straight, and lips slant down. Weird curve above boob.

2: Eyes slightly off, again. Gun and bullet need more detail. Hair is once again just a shape, not actual hair. Boobs join off-center on body; shift them both a little left. Shading on leggings is too random: attracts all attention, and becomes focal point.

3: I actually don't have much specific complaint on, other than "what the hell is coming out of her hands?" Also, head and neck are off-center.

Batman, I'm presuming is a joke, so I won't critique properly.

Overall/stylistic: Shading is a bit rough, especially on hair. The shading lines don't follow the lines of the shaded shapes, and they're just erratic and scribbly. Shading on skin is pretty good, though. Also: the fact that you don't shade fabric much bugs me to no end. Oh, and the boobs on all of them tend to join too high.

Also: Copy paper doesn't necessarily go smudgy if you add detail; I have no issues with it. You just need to be careful not to put your hands on it too much, and to clean the drawing up with an eraser once you're done.  

The Titanium Spork

no surrender

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:34 pm
Hello and welcome :>
I'm not really good with harsh critiques but I'll give it my best.

You do tend to make your legs too small. The heads also seem bigger, but that could be stylistic, I'm not sure what you're going for.
The third picture is a good start, I'm not sure however you're using perspective or if the legs are accidentally to small. If you were using perspective, the gap between her thighs wouldn't be necessary. If you weren't using perspective, then her legs are a bit short. Superhero's legs are generally 2/3 of their body. Also her crotch is a bit to far to the left.

In general, as with any pencil drawing, try to make your pencil marks to add form. That is, when you're shading, don't just randomly sketch everywhere, make the lines follow the 'grain' of the form. I find it very hard to explain this so I'll just show you :>
This image is just one example of what I mean, but you can google up hundreds. Notice how the pencil strokes are not at all random, they are placed in a way that is logical and follows the form of the skin. I'm not sure if that was coherent enough, but if you have any questions ask.

Apart from that I think you're on your way. Keep practicing and get out an anatomy book every once in a while to brush up.
Good luck!  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:51 am
What kind of reference did you use for those female figures? There's something about how much stronger your silhouettes are structurally than the interior of the sketches that bothers me. I don't mean the outline either.

The last one with Batman seem like it's most likely more "you" than the others. That one is confident and comfortable. It also makes more sense in proportion and structure (as well as gesture) than the females. The females are also inconsistent with each other.

On a side note, she's shooting out the top of her skull and not shooting through her hair. She'd also be deaf and in searing pain from the noise AND even if she was able to miss her skull at that angle, she'd graze it. The set up makes little sense visually.

Someone mentioned perspective, which is kind of looks like you may have been going for that in the last female, but it looks much more like your proportions are diminishing than depth. Keep your limbs as cylinders. Without showing the roundness or the shape, you won't get depth.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces