Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
I need a crit. please..

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Eh__Miss__Raquel

4,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:51 am
This is a Link

Please don't be too harsh.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:38 am
Nice, you understand the digital media
I can see your going for soft coloring instead of cel shade
you've got a bit knowledge of color scheme

But, you need to improve thus I'll try to give you critiques
- You need a lot to learn about anime anatomy, and thus to achieve this, many artists recommend to start doing real life, realistic figures, this way, you'll get a better grasp on anatomy. They say learn the rules before you try breaking them: example would be picasso, he can draw realistic figures before he went for abstract. Improve your anatomy
- Sorry but I have to say that your coloring is bad, your using dodge and burn method and I can't understand what you want to try doing: perhaps your trying to achieve the "no lines" digital painting effect. That's just difficult for anime but it's possible. Anime looks better in cel shade, gradient type, and vivid lines, but some artists cn achieve great quality with anime in soft color, semi realistic type
- Study your color theory :"], there's such thing as Contrast, Color Scheme, Depth, Hue, Saturation, and a lot that can help in making stunning compositions
- Study composition :"], photography helps a lot in this: there's rule of thirds, framing, focus, cropping, perspective

Tips:
- Artist Morgue - collect reference images
- Practice x3
- Have Fun, Don't pressure yourself too much on becoming a better artist
- Socialize, learn "people", by learning them you'd get a better grasp on human nature and emotion.
- Interact, don't be ashamed of your work, show it, and get critcisms for you to improve
- Love your work: cause if yu don't, don't expect anybody else would

Death Faust IX

Magnetic Sex Symbol

6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200

no surrender

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:24 am
Hi there.
I can see that you're just begining, and this is good. Everyone has to start somewhere.
I have one thing I need you to do.
DON'T BE DISCOURAGED. by anything. srsly.
That's the hardest thing when you're starting out. Just have a stiff upper lip, and don't let anything stop you from practicing and enjoying art.

Trust me with practice, you will gradually learn to draw better and better, you will be amazed at your improvements from one year to the next. Try to concentrate on realistic anatomy because this is the fastest and most effective way to improve.

Good luck!  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:58 am
Well, it's obvious that you're doing the ragdoll thing because you don't know better, however, I think the ragdoll thing can work for you. You still must learn what's really going on with the body for it to work though. Know were the joints are so you know where the bend is coming from.

If you want to continue the ragdoll type anatomy, I would say start to learn basic anatomy and gesture.

I can't provide redlines because of this stupid waterwall crap at the office that blocks us from uploading anything, so you'll have to visualize.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Proportion

The powerpuff girls are an example of ragdoll anatomy. They are extremely stylized. They are only two heads tall. (Meaning the entire body except the head is the same height as the head is by itself.) Your figure is about 4 heads tall. Which is fine, but be consistent with it. Make sure that the figure in that style is always 4 heads tall. Measure by using the head.

This is where it's extremely important that you learn the actual anatomy and proportions of people, so you can correctly distort an 8 head person into 4 heads. Certain things are always in the same overall spot. (That's how proportion works.) When you learn that, you can draw the same figure in different proportions, which is how you get chibis of characters and people you often will see people do. Same figure in different proportions

Here you can see two very differently sized women. If you measure based on their heads though, you can see that they share the same proportions, one is just more stretched than the other. This is how proportion works.

Anatomy

Go back the the powerpuff girl picture. Notice that while they are ragdolls, their elbows and knees still work? The beds make sense because the artist understands how arms and legs work. The artist also understands how the muscles of the face work and is able to make expressions no matter how stylized the face is. Cartoons don't come from nowhere. They come from people interpreting reality. So the more you know about reality, the better your interpretation will be. For now, learn just the basic make up of the body. Simply the skeleton like this with a sharpie over people in magazines.

Balance

Point to the top of each girl's head and draw a straight line down. Do this one every picture in this post. Notice that the head is balanced over the body so that the feet are evenly spaced on either side or the head is over the foot that's bearing the figure's weight. Heads are heavy. You should try to be sure it looks like it's supported by the body under it.

Draw a line down from her head and see her weight bearing leg. (Standing leg.)

Perspective

User Image

Keep is simple. Just remember that everything takes up space. Your feet on the floor take up space. If you consider the space that things take up while you draw, even simply, things go from being very flat to being more 3d.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Eh__Miss__Raquel

4,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:36 pm
no surrender
Hi there.
I can see that you're just begining, and this is good. Everyone has to start somewhere.
I have one thing I need you to do.
DON'T BE DISCOURAGED. by anything. srsly.
That's the hardest thing when you're starting out. Just have a stiff upper lip, and don't let anything stop you from practicing and enjoying art.

Trust me with practice, you will gradually learn to draw better and better, you will be amazed at your improvements from one year to the next. Try to concentrate on realistic anatomy because this is the fastest and most effective way to improve.

Good luck!

D8 Now I feel a little worse because I've been doodling for about... 8 or 9 years.
And... I've really improved which actually makes me feel like a failure.
But thank you for your input.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:36 pm
haha don't feel that way i've been drawing for over 20 years and i'm still learning alot...all the time

i know it can feel bad to feel that you perhaps you haven;t progressed as far as thought. but try to think of learning something new as a condensed lesson. we are all learning from someone else's experience.it took the old masters a life time to discover what we're learning now a days within days or weeks.

errr... sorry about the tangent but yea... best thing to do is get a stronger foundation like errol suggested and you'll be fine  

Folken_Schezar
Crew

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces