Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Cardio Advice ..is this normal?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ligand

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:30 pm
I find that I can almost never finish a real cardio work out (they're supposed to be 30 minutes D: anything beyond 5 seems like torture) . :[ They make my chest hurt a lot >. sad .

I can get through low intensity workouts such as walking or maybe even biking. But other things such as .. sad jumping rope or jogging kick my a**.

I'm 149 pounds, 5'6 . There are people who weigh more than me that can get through longer cardio sessions than I can >.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:49 pm
Endurance and pacing. two things to practice. plenty of water and breaks too  

Anzelia La Belle

Generous Giver

12,125 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Generous 100
  • Trader 100

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:56 pm
it could be your breathing too- if my breathing is out of sync then I'm screwed when i do cardio >.< On the other hand, if it is a real worry then you should have it checked- dont have a heart attack!  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:32 pm
Jumping rope is, like, SERIOUSLY intense. I can jog 3 miles in 30 minutes but I hiiiighly doubt I could jump rope for more than like 10 minutes max, and even that's kinda pushing it.

Jogging, however... it really depends on how fast you go. I recommend starting at whatever pace, no matter how slow, will allow you to jog straight for 30 minutes. Even if you're only moving as fast as you would be walking. Then just gradually move up from there. 3nodding

Also, be careful that you aren't drinking too much water. It can give you cramps. Drink if you get thirsty, but save the chugging for after your workout.  

__penguin__
Captain

Tandahda
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:33 am
When I started going to the gym, fifteen minutes on the elliptical was the limit of my endurance.

It seems like your cardio isn't too stellar, that's ok. We all start somewhere but the important thing is that you're *starting*. Don't try getting on the treadmill and jogging for X amount of minutes because I'm sure it would get you trained up in no time, but that's only if you didn't hurt yourself.

If you like the treadmill, start walking at a fast pace and do that for thirty minutes. Remember. Anything that gets your heart beat up is cardio. (seriously).

Set the difficulty at the maximum level that you can do 30 minutes of and do that thirty minutes. When it starts getting easier make it harder, go faster, increase elevation or level, or jog.

Stretch before and after.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:34 am
Iconised Ghost
it could be your breathing too- if my breathing is out of sync then I'm screwed when i do cardio >.< On the other hand, if it is a real worry then you should have it checked- dont have a heart attack!
:O How am I supposed to breathe? o-o  

Ligand

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:57 pm
Sentida
Iconised Ghost
:O How am I supposed to breathe? o-o

I dunno xD I have to get a rhythm going otherwise im all over the place.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:00 pm
How well/long you can do cardio really has less to do with your weight and more how accustomed you are to do intense cardio exercise. If you've just started recently doing regular cardio, then yeah, you're going to have a hard time for a while. Eventually you'll train up and things that were hard will be easier.  

CherokeeAlex

Sunsway

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:50 pm
If you're having trouble, you can try doing in in intervals -- eg jog some, then walk it off, and then jog some more. I've heard that inteval training helps with metabolism too, though I'm not sure.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:51 pm
Just pace yourself.

You should never feel like you have to be able to do something, just because others your size can. Sometimes, what's on the outside doesn't reflect the inside. Perhaps your lungs have a lower capacity or you have poor circulation.

I know for me, I have poor lung capacity and exercise induced asthma. It was as simple as seeing a doctor and letting them know what was going on, and walking out with an inhaler. It does wonders if you just take a few puffs before working out.

But if that's still not enough, work your way up.
If you plan to run, start by walking, then jogging, etc. And once you feel like you can't take it anymore, jog for a bit, then walk...then stop OR work your way back up if you feel up to it.

That really seems to help, without putting your body into some type of shock.

Cardio is really helpful in losing weight, but it's not the ONLY thing you can do. Not everyone is cut out for hard working cardio. So just remember there are OTHER things you can be doing.  

CondomAtTheCrimeScene

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games