Reply Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}
The Book of John- The Story of Lazarus.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ferret658

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:02 am
So Jesus and his disciples get word one day that Jesus' friend Lazarus is sick. Jesus decided to chill where they were for two more days. Lazarus, of course, dies, and when Jesus gets there, everyone's mourning the loss of Lazarus.

But, Jesus in His infinite awesomeness says that He's come to raise Lazarus from the dead, even though he's been buried for four days. Martha said that He could've made her brother better, but instead he had died. Jesus told her that Lazarus would rise again. Being human and dumb like we all are, she thought He meant Lazarus would rise up at the day of Judgment.

He asked to see Mary, so Mary came to Him. She said the same thing to Jesus about Him being able to heal her brother if He had only gotten there in time. Jesus was "moved deeply" (which I think means he felt guilty, but that's just me...) and asked to be shown where Lazarus' tomb was.

Then He wept. Then He called Lazarus back from the grave and made him alive again.

Happy ending. Everyone loves those. But here's something to discuss:

Jesus had stated His reason for being late in arriving to see Lazarus, and He stated that He was going to bring back Lazarus from the grave. Why did He weep?

Jesus is God, and God is omniscient. Why would He weep if He knew Lazarus wasn't gone for good?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:44 am
ferret658
So Jesus and his disciples get word one day that Jesus' friend Lazarus is sick. Jesus decided to chill where they were for two more days. Lazarus, of course, dies, and when Jesus gets there, everyone's mourning the loss of Lazarus.

But, Jesus in His infinite awesomeness says that He's come to raise Lazarus from the dead, even though he's been buried for four days. Martha said that He could've made her brother better, but instead he had died. Jesus told her that Lazarus would rise again. Being human and dumb like we all are, she thought He meant Lazarus would rise up at the day of Judgment.

He asked to see Mary, so Mary came to Him. She said the same thing to Jesus about Him being able to heal her brother if He had only gotten there in time. Jesus was "moved deeply" (which I think means he felt guilty, but that's just me...) and asked to be shown where Lazarus' tomb was.

Then He wept. Then He called Lazarus back from the grave and made him alive again.

Jesus had stated His reason for being late in arriving to see Lazarus, and He stated that He was going to bring back Lazarus from the grave. Why did He weep?

Jesus is God, and God is omniscient. Why would He weep if He knew Lazarus wasn't gone for good?

Because God weeps. It's the same question. Why would God cry for the little things we mess up on if he knows we'll come back to him in the end anyways? Why would he comfort us if he knows that we'll get over it in the end? Because he loves us. This passage shows the incredible love of God for us humans. And you know what? God has joy, he also has sadness. We are made in his image, we also have these things.  

viper_353

Priestley

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:36 pm
ferret658

Bear in mind that Jesus knew Lazarus from when Mary anointed Jesus with perfume (John 11:2).

ferret658

Someone whom he knew and loved had died. He witnessed Martha's and Mary's grief, which moved him in spirit (John 11:33), but the Jews' lack of faith as demonstrated in their behaviour (John 11:19,31), was what troubled him (John 11:33). This is demonstrated in their reaction to his weeping (John 11:35-37). He immediately asked to know where Lazarus was buried (John 11:34) so he could show to them the glory of God (John 11:38-44).

ferret658

Probably because he wasn't God (God need not pray to himself or have to go away to commune with himself -- I always tended towards unitarianist Christianity). However, his faith in God was such that he saw purpose in Lazarus' death (John 11:4) that he would not have been able to demonstrate if Lazarus was only sick (John 11:9-10, 14-15) so he waited (John 11:6). Even in the way Jesus prayed to the Father, he explains that he's not praying for the power to resurrect but that it would reveal God's glory best (John 11:9-10, 42).  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:13 pm
Great answers! That gives a lot of insight. My friend suggested that I took time and read the book of John and write down scriptures that stood out to me. I had gotten to that part, and put down my Bible to come and post this in this guild and my other guild to get an answer. It was really bugging me and I had to know lol

Thanks so much, guys!  

ferret658

Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces