Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
No Surrender Skectches. ||UPDATED!| 11 March Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Visitors...
  +1
View Results

no surrender

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:06 am
Hm I think I know what you mean. Something more like this perhaps? :>
Also UPDATE :'D

A commission I did after Japi won the Teen Titans auction I was part of.
User Image
I've already given it to her, so I won't fix it, but I'd really love to know how to improve (expecially material and feet lol)
I used a reference for the face. :>
And I have no idea how to fix the ear. D:  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:25 pm
@ 3@ This last one is gorgeous, face is perfect
Only some little details that I want to point out

(oops, apparantly I mirrored it at one point)
I greyscaled it to get a better look at the shading (idk if you do this or not, but its a good way to check your values)
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I love the softness of the shading in the bottom of the dress, and I love how sharp the details are in the face and collar
But having both of those styles can make it feel unfinished.
The rest of the dress / feet could use some moar detail / sharpness to it
Either that or roughing up the sharper bits and letting the [digital]brush strokes show will unify it

Other thing is the variation in the shading - like how that bottom layer of the dress has a really dark shadow cast on it from the layer above, but the ankles' shadows are very faint.  

F!ZZBANG

no surrender

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:08 pm
Wow, thank you so much! This is incredibly helpful.
I understand what you're saying about all of it. You hit the nail on the head. :'D
Thanks again.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:44 am
Update update update update.
I'm back. And yes, I was away. LOL. razz
The first one's better with contrast and stuff because it's newer (by like a week, lol, but none the less, I change quickly)

Working with references. I can see that the face is severely warped, but I was focusing more on colour. I checked many times in B+W as F!ZZBANG suggested, which was very helpful. I also tried to make a more unified style, choosing a looser technique, which hopefully worked. razz I can't figure out what's wrong with the hair, but there is something very very wrong there. D:
User Image

A comission. I used references for it to make it the best I could, but there is always room for improvement. LOL. I only used reference for the pose, not the lighting or anything else, so there are many mistakes for you to pick at for me. biggrin <3
User Image

A bit of fun. There are SOO many mistakes, because this was a speed paint that got too involved. D: I like the guy though, which is what I'm mainly interested in your opinions on, though feel free to comment on the horrible background, or anything else that catches your attention.
User Image

Another commission. Very experimental.
User Image

Sorry about the art spam. D: I have been working on these from 2-3 weeks, to just over a day. (Betcha can't guess which ones. xD )
As usual, any help from you guys would be awesome. I've already learned so much here, it's incredible. :O  

no surrender

no surrender

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:59 am
Gosh, it's been AAaggess since I've drawn a guy. Too long in fact.
Rie, a commission.
User Image
Rough critiques are loved. :>  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:06 pm
I actually feel intimidated to critique you since your painting style is so stunning, but there are a few things on this latest piece that I noticed.

You should probably scale up the size of the knife, particularly the handle, since it appears to be too small for practical use. The face (especially around the eyebrow area) is a bit awkward, and I can't discern any clear emotion from his eyes or mouth. Related to this is the flow of action. Clearly something is going on, but I can't tell what. He seems to have deep scratches on his body, but he doesn't seem to be in pain. He has blood on his hands, but he doesn't really seem to be attacking anything or anyone.

The textures are well done - especially on the horns, hair and skin. It's a very well-rendered piece, but one that I'm having trouble discerning a tone/mood for.  

Griffonage

no surrender

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:10 pm
lol. You shouldn't feel intimidated!
Gosh the knife IS small. D:
Yea, I was going for the aftermath of a battle kind of thing. He's a dragon king who's really up himself, so I was trying to make him sseem casually detached. :P
Mood and Tone is something I hadn't though of working on until now, but it is so important I can't believe I missed it. lol. Thank you for pointing it out! c:  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:05 pm
You've got some pretty nice skills. I love your color schemes and your overall concepts are awesome.  

Anpu the black Seraph

no surrender

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:35 pm
Thanks! c: I really appreciate it.

OMG I've been away for like ages. Time for another update (and to check out everyone elses updates)

UPDATED : 11 March 2010

Uh this one is rather very gory. So I've linked it to Deviantart, where you need an account to see it. So none of you little kiddies can see it without properly being warned. If this isn't allowed to be up here, just say so and I'll take it down.
User Image

Nifty little thing I did. :)
User Image

Something traditional
User Image

Speedpaint, 1hr tops. Freebie for Noitanigami.
User Image  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:41 pm
Wow I really like your work! I'll try to critique but I'm also a little nervous to do so. sweatdrop

Here it goes anyway. I really love how clean the coloring is on the first one. It's very powerful too. I'm having trouble thinking of why the organs are still so tightly connected to the body. I'm no doctor but I think they would kind of spill out more. (my opinion really sweatdrop ) I think it would look even more powerful if it was darker. Darker background, darker shading, smaller light source perhaps. It would make it scarier I believe.

Second one. It's really beautiful and the way it's colored makes it calming cause not alot is going on. The little red dots in the front distract me, however. Perhaps just a little detail on them?

Amazing Pencil work! I don't have much to say there.

The things bothering me about the last one is the fact that I can't see his ear. And the eyes are a little too far apart. And the chin isn't aligned with the rest of the face. Beautiful coloring though. biggrin

I must say, amazing work though. I admire the way you can paint skin. heart  

zathraya

no surrender

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:54 pm
Haha, the first one is the only one of those three that isn't a speedpaint/traditional. wink Took me forever.
Cool, I'll try darkening it up a bit.

Oh yep, I'll do something about the red dots.

Thank you. razz

Ahah, yea it kinda looks like he got hit in the face by a bus. ;P lol

Thanks so much for the critique! I really appreciate it.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:52 pm
No problem. I'm just glad I did something helpful. mrgreen  

zathraya

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out