6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:26 pm
MortSanglant
Mydnyte Dystopia
MortSanglant
Might I add, there's a huge difference between expanding your musical tastes just so you can say "Hey, aren't I awesome I listen to so much different music!" and expanding your library because you truly have an interest in the different bands you listen to.

Not to butt in, but, what you said there definitely makes sense; I agree.

Haha, it's your topic, you can butt in all you want.

Haha, oh, right.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:56 am
Mydnyte Dystopia
MortSanglant
Mydnyte Dystopia
MortSanglant
Might I add, there's a huge difference between expanding your musical tastes just so you can say "Hey, aren't I awesome I listen to so much different music!" and expanding your library because you truly have an interest in the different bands you listen to.

Haha, oh, right.

Haha, ....I got nothing I just wanted to start a sentence with "Haha," because all the cool kids were doing it and I gave into peer pressure.

WHY DOES NO ONE LIKE ME?!?!?! gonk gonk crying crying  

Rellik San
Crew

Necrodancer Ghost

Feral Vampire

15,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Team Moira 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:03 pm
Rellik San

Because it shows you have no interest in exploring new horizons or trying new things. An unwillingness to learn or enhance yourself in anyway shape or form.
You love thinking you know what you're talking about, don't you?
But let's assume you're right. So what? Why is that a flaw if you're quite happy with what you already have?

MortSanglant
@ Vengeance: I was speculating. Quite different from assuming.

Quote:
http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/assume

assume
verb
believe, take for granted
Synonyms: accept, ascertain, be afraid, be inclined to think, conclude, conjecture, consider, count upon, deduce, deem, divine, estimate, expect, fall for, fancy, find, gather, get the idea, guess, have a hunch, have sneaking suspicion, hypothesize, imagine, infer, judge, posit, postulate, predicate, presume, presuppose, speculate, suppose, surmise, suspect, theorize, think, understand

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/speculate

speculate
verb
Definition: think about deeply and theorize
Synonyms: beat one's brains, brainstorm*, build castles in air, call it, call the turn, cerebrate, chew over, cogitate, conjecture, consider, contemplate, deliberate, dope out, dope*, excogitate, figure, figure out*, guess, guesstimate, have a hunch, hazard a guess, head trip, hypothesize, kick around, meditate, muse, pipe-dream, psych out, read, read between lines, reason, reflect, review, ruminate, run it up flagpole, scheme, size up, study, suppose, surmise, suspect, weigh, wonder

tl;dr: Same s**t.

MortSanglant
Well, I dunno if you actually read the original post, but what I got from it was that the original poster feels compelled to expand her musical library out of some sense of responsibility to her chosen genre(s) rather than actually taking an interest in them. But I dunno, I'm just assuming/speculating.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:41 pm
The Spirit of Vengeance
words

A thesaurus is hardly a good reference for that. If you read the definitions you posted along with the synonym lists, they are clearly different things.

Assuming is taking something as true without anything to back it.

Speculating is projecting a possibility for truth but not holding it as fact.

MortSanglant

Mydnyte Dystopia

6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:50 pm
Rellik San
Mydnyte Dystopia
MortSanglant
Mydnyte Dystopia
MortSanglant

Haha, oh, right.

Haha, ....I got nothing I just wanted to start a sentence with "Haha," because all the cool kids were doing it and I gave into peer pressure.

WHY DOES NO ONE LIKE ME?!?!?! gonk gonk crying crying

Haha, my god, you're right! eek It is cool! rofl lol  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:04 pm
The Spirit of Vengeance
Rellik San

Because it shows you have no interest in exploring new horizons or trying new things. An unwillingness to learn or enhance yourself in anyway shape or form.
You love thinking you know what you're talking about, don't you?
But let's assume you're right. So what? Why is that a flaw if you're quite happy with what you already have?

I don't think anything, I know exactly what I'm talking about, there was an idea a thought and I communicated that thought, I'd say communicating my thoughts succinctly is knowing what I'm talking about. Clearly you are deprived of some mental functions, because there is no other reason to infer I am unaware of what I communicated to you with the written word.

Its a flaw because it shows you have no desire to learn or grow as an individual. Which is what I said originally, clearly you seem to suffer from an inability to comprehend such plain english.  

Rellik San
Crew

Necrodancer Ghost

Feral Vampire

15,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Team Moira 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
MortSanglant
The Spirit of Vengeance
words

A thesaurus is hardly a good reference for that. If you read the definitions you posted along with the synonym lists, they are clearly different things.

Assuming is taking something as true without anything to back it.

Speculating is projecting a possibility for truth but not holding it as fact.
MortSanglant
Or you're just a stagnant person.

The whole point in giving Thesaurus entries was that they're similar enough in meaning that they're interchangeable enough that a sentence that is one can easily be construed as the other.
Either way, if you want to get technical I see absolutely no speculation in that post. The lack of a "maybe" or similar word, or even a question mark would suggest that you are, in fact, projecting what you conceive to be a fact. Even if that wasn't the intention, surely someone as smart as you can see how it can be misconstrued as such.

Either way, my "same s**t" stands.

Rellik: I honestly have nothing to say to that. Perhaps you are right. I will maintain, however, that so long as one is happy with their interests, I see no reason to need to branch out genre-wise. Especially if you're doing it out of some weird sense of responsibility and not actual interest, which again, is what I got from the original post(I could be wrong, though).

Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff